Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:54:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Do you think Perry's will do plastic Afghan tribesmen?  (Read 5655 times)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Do you think Perry's will do plastic Afghan tribesmen?
« on: March 20, 2018, 06:43:20 PM »
Well do you?

NWF is a future project of mine, and it'd be great if I could flesh out the Perry Afghans with plastics. But an email to them asking if its something they might consider in the future has gone unanswered. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has seen them at a show and put this question to them, and if so, what was their answer?

Thanks!

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Re: Do you think Perry's will do plastic Afghan tribesmen?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »
i don't think so..if i was Perry brothers i woul'nd venture in a costly production for somthing that woul'nt sell well...
first they already have in metal practically all troop types for NWF tribesmen..which are two, musket/rifle armed and sword armed..tribal cavalry no evidence of use in battle..artillery practically non existent
second..you do not need in a mountain/rugged type terrain in which you'll set your scenarios so many warriors as, for example, zulus..or Mhadist (that in any case did'nt sell well according to what i read)
third: contrary to zulus and ansars..you already have on the market, in addition to the few Perry metal ones, some very good NWF tribesmen..that are exactly the Foundry ones..among other things , designed by the same Perry brothers..

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:04:58 PM »
I think they will. Or rather Michael will. But we'll see...

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:18:02 PM »
I'm in no rush, got plenty to get on with first.

Always surprised to read the Ansar's haven't sold that well, and if the Zulu's aren't selling well either, that's another surprise.

as I'd thought they'd do well. I'm currently painting my way through what will eventually be several hundred of each.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:39:54 PM »
I think the main problem is, that all have to wait for renedra to Produce. So it isnot only a question of wanting. Maybe in this plastic times whitemetal could be the new plastic.... ;)

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 03:31:40 AM »
I haven't started on the NWF yet, I am new to Colonials and am working on plastic British and Mahdists from Perry, and Boxers from Old Glory. If there were plastic Afghans/Pathans from Perry, I would be far more likely to jump into that Theater as well.
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »
I too read that the Ansar sales were a bit disappointing, and given the number of plastic Zulus already available you would have thought they might think twice before venturing into that particular line as well? However if you are in it for the long haul, as they are as it pays the bills, then once these things are made they should be available pretty much forever, thus giving newcomers to those eras and the hobby in general something to purchase to bulk out their collections with, whilst keeping the coppers flowing gently into the Perry pension fund.So whilst the short term gain might not have been as great as anticipated, like other periods which come and go in the height of current fashion stakes depending on whichever shiny new set of rules appears, they should earn their keep over coming decades.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
Good point there VF. Plastic sets may be a big investment, but they are the gift that keeps on giving. Witness the fact that I can still go into my local toy shop and buy a whole range of exactly the same Airfix plastic kits that I could buy as a kid in 1970!

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 12:15:40 PM »
I also hope Michael does some plastic Afghans but I also know it doesn't necessarily make sense from a simple business perspective. That said, the Perry's have taken gambles on a number of things, some of which have paid off well for them. Think back to when they did their first plastic release, ACW Infantry. That was a big gamble but it paid off handsomely, and they have subsequently released numerous other boxes of plastic magic. In fact, the quality of their plastics has gotten better and better. The Perry's (and Renendra) have set the benchmark for quality plastic figures.

I have also heard that some of the plastic sets haven't sold as well as others. However, let's put this all into perspective, if you are comparing sales of a given box - Ansar, Zulu, etc - to sales of a box of Napoleonic and Medieval, well, those are big gaming genres and it isn't a fair comparison. I have a plastic mountain (although not as massive as my metal mountain) and I will continue to add to it.

The Perry's new Zulus are extremely well done, and offer a lot of variety as well as conversion potential. I am very much looking forward to the upcoming release of the Nap French Chasseurs a Cheval (will buy around 10 boxes!) in April 2018, as these will be extremely useful figures. I will be able to use these to assist in the development of the Perry's earlier French Hussars release; more arms and torsos equals more variety! Moreover, I plan to use a couple of boxes of Chasseurs a Cheval as the basis for a conversion project to make French Line Lancers (come on Alan, either do us a separate plastic box of Line Lancers OR at the very least do us a metal conversion pack with heads, arms (open hands to take metal wire lances please), and sword in scabbard bits.

So back to the original question, will the Perry's make plastic Afghans. I certainly hope they do. I really love the earlier Afghan Tribesman sculpts that the Twins did for Foundry. I also like their more recent ones done under the Perry banner, although these are a bit taller and thinner in build, but can still be used together (people are all different sizes).

In the meantime, I have to get back to finishing up all the 'ongoing projects'....which is a never ending saga...but isn't that one of the joys of our hobby, as there is so much we want to get done!  ;)

Offline jazbo

• Librarian
    • My GNW Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 09:20:48 AM »
I think part of the poor sales is the fact they are 28mm. You need so many figures and so much space on table to realistically deploy them that it's prohibitive unless you're well off or have access to a big table.

I love colonial, love it, and their figures are the best, but I can't do isandlwana in that scale so it makes no sense to buy them.

I suspect I'm not alone in that.

And no.. They won't do afghan tribesmen in plastic.

Plastic Marlburian given the Perry treatment and options, now that's something that could make them money...
My Great Norther War Project Blog: GNW Gaming

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »
Isandlwana and other huge battles are rare in 28mm but there are tons of smaller engagements where a 1-3 boxes of plastics are all you'll need.

Given the popularity of TMWWBK and Congo I think there's a big market for plastic colonial miniatures and the "horde armies" are where plastic makes the most sense.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »
I have a feeling that a box of plastic Afghan tribesmen could be very interesting as they could be used for far more than just the the Colonial period.

I am sure that the some arms with WW2 Lee Enfield rifles would make them suitable for the 1979 -1989 Russian / Afghan War.
Some AK47s etc would make them suitable for the conflicts from 2001 to now.

I don't know the pre Colonial history, but I am sure that given spears, bows and swords, they could be used back to the Crusades period.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 12:44:05 PM »
I have a feeling that a box of plastic Afghan tribesmen could be very interesting as they could be used for far more than just the the Colonial period.

I am sure that the some arms with WW2 Lee Enfield rifles would make them suitable for the 1979 -1989 Russian / Afghan War.
Some AK47s etc would make them suitable for the conflicts from 2001 to now.

I don't know the pre Colonial history, but I am sure that given spears, bows and swords, they could be used back to the Crusades period.

My thoughts exactly...

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 07:47:25 PM »
Tribesmen with arm and weapon options that allow them to be used for a few periods sounds like a really good idea!

Perry Miniatures were kind enough to reply back to my email today with the following reply: 'Nothing planned plastic Afghan wise, although you never know'. 

So its a no for now, maybe one day if we're lucky!

They are just about to release some new Zulu War figures though, which is great news :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:00:34 PM by cram »

Offline jazbo

• Librarian
    • My GNW Project Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 09:54:03 PM »
Except it doesn't make sense as the poor sales rjmours suggest...

Isandlwana and other huge battles are rare in 28mm but there are tons of smaller engagements where a 1-3 boxes of plastics are all you'll need.

Given the popularity of TMWWBK and Congo I think there's a big market for plastic colonial miniatures and the "horde armies" are where plastic makes the most sense.