Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:30:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fear thollaidh nan tighean - Pikemans Lament  (Read 1639 times)

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
Fear thollaidh nan tighean - Pikemans Lament
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »
Hi all,
After playing Lion Rampant for a few years now, I've decided to branch out a bit in the series. Having played the fantasy version, I found I preferred warhammer fantasy battle to that sort of thing, and TMWWBK would require that I sat down and built a completely new set of terrain for the Sudan or Afghan theaters I'd want to game in.
So naturally the choice fell on Pikemans Lament! Very similar to the LR rules, but with some interesting changes and additions for period flavour.

When browsing the ranges of different theaters I quickly settled on the ECW period, as my knowledge of the conflict is fairly basic and I enjoy using wargaming as a medium of gathering sources and getting to know the what's and buts of a period.

While researching the different conflicts within the civil war and their pro- and antagonists, I came across Alasdair Mac Colla, the fear thollaidh nan tighean (piercer or destroyer of houses) and immedially decided to base an army around the character. I've always been a sucker for Gaelic heroic prose, and the choice of figure naturally fell on Warlords model. The comptetitor from Eureka is nice and decidedly more corrrect, but I think that the Warlord model is more in tune with the spirit of Pikemans Lament, which is a bit tounge-in-cheek and more concerned with the narrative.

The period I decided on was the later part of the campaign in Scotland and Ireland (1646-9), after the break with Montrose. So there would still be Irish mercenaries present, but also a large contingent of Scots (redshanks). The enemies of the force could then both be parliamentarians, covenanters, cromwells settlers and the Campbell clan.
My retinue looks a bit like this:

1 elite pike (Irish pikemen) @6pts
2 shot (irish and scots shotte) @ 4 pts each
2 clansmen bands (Macdonalds) @ 3 pts each
1 dragoons (bogtrotter scouts) @ 4 pts

So far I'm assembling the force and it's all a bit of a mess:

But I did manage to get the Big Man himself painted:

Next up is a start on those highlanders. Then the horse and last, but not least, the irish.

While I'm at it, anyone got some litterature on the period that is considered 'must read'? Anything on Mac Colla himself, mayhaps?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Fear thollaidh nan tighean - Pikemans Lament
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »
Great choice of period and forces!

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:36:10 PM »
 I got a lot of ideas and inspiration from this fantastic blog:

http://auldearn1645.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 01:04:24 PM »
Thanks, I'm already a huge fan of the Auldearn-blog, it's great inspiration for my project!
It's been a busy Easter, but I've managed to get some painting in alongside the family parties, obligatory service and random orcs. I've started on the first unit of highlanders, who will serve as MacCollas bodyguard of some sort, so Clan MacDonald kinsmen of a certain status which their garb should reflect. I choose some of the well armed and well dressed clansmen from the warlord range to represent the first six of the twelve strong unit.

I've plans to change the flag-bearer to carry the personal standard of MacColla, but I've yet to recieve my pack of flags from flagsofwar. It'll have to wait. Next up is a bunch of horses for the scouts, and then on to the first batch of irish. Happy Easter to you all  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:03:43 PM by CaptainHaddonCollider »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »
Great painting on those figures and lovely basing.  Very highland moor.