Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: ZONA ALFA: Salvage and Survival in the Exclusion Zone (New Bat Rep:2 June)  (Read 45587 times)

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
Very cool! Have really enjoyed this thread!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Aye, you can see in those scale pictures I posted that the newer manufacturers: Empress, SASM & SASM have been erring on the larger end "28mm". I suppose that's perhaps why the older companies (and their relatively older ranges, I mean we're talking a few years with those Eureka figures) used 1/56th scale vehicles, and the new guys do 1/50th. ...At least then we're not then seeing 25mm models being used with 1/50th scale vehicles so much. :P

There's a few sources out there for old Soviet gas masks, and Empress do their newest ones, but I've had to sculpt the later Cold War period stuff in use myself. I can see you've gone mostly for those Pig Iron ones (and Lead Adventure have a similar set), though I've found they suit fictional settings more, and they are heroic scale. So perfectly suitable for pulp I suppose, like your own setting. ...I'd just like some realistic head swaps available, even if I'll probably never have a scenario to actually use them in. :)

Right now, if you're doing a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style setting, Igor's sculpts through Tiny Terrain Models, SASM and Warhansa (and even Lead Adventure, if you're fine with the proportions, I mean they did use to be the defacto option) seem to cover most of your needs. Those Chechen rebels would be great for the lower tier scavengers out their, only equipped with a trench coat and grandad's shotgun.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Those comparison shots were perfect, thanks. I do want the figs to be on the larger side and as for 'realism v pulpy fictional',  I'm definitely leaning toward Igor's stuff - which I already have enough of.  (so no justifying another order from SASM or Empress....) Oh well.

Symbaroum is on the schedule for tonight's game. After that, we'll be forming crews and heading back into the Zone for more extensive play tests. So there's more Zona Alfa on the way. 

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
I really like this thread. It's cool stuff and to see the LA Post-Apoc minis in action is cool, too.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Re: ZONA ALFA: Survival and Salvage in the Exclusion Zone (new pics, 8 Nov.)
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2018, 12:17:07 PM »
Another game to test the squad composition rules.

More at:
https://stalker7.com/2018/11/07/zona-alfa-test-game/

Thanks

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »
Very interesting. Like your figures and Terrain very much. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 04:07:28 PM »
Lovely looking stuff, attached to a cool setting and with rules to boot.

Would you mind PMing me to talk about featuring 'the story so far' in a magazine?
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 08:40:39 PM »
Interesting AAR, as usual! I Like these terrain additions to the table with Mi-24 being my favorite. :)
Not sure about current squad composition ideas as IMHO  big squads of 9 men strong is a bit too much taking into account whole Zone idea where small teams of stalkers trying to get rich finding all of these artifacts and other useful stuff.

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 11:34:36 PM »
It was only a test game about squad composition and they tested extremes like the squad with 9 green stalkers or the squad with 3 veterans. In a real game i think they would use a mix of maybe 2 vets, 1 or 2 hardened and maybe 1 green stalker. I think squads of 4-5 men should work quite well. But of course i don't know the rules yet.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2018, 12:52:15 PM »
It was only a test game about squad composition and they tested extremes like the squad with 9 green stalkers or the squad with 3 veterans. In a real game i think they would use a mix of maybe 2 vets, 1 or 2 hardened and maybe 1 green stalker. I think squads of 4-5 men should work quite well. But of course i don't know the rules yet.

What he said...

Given that squads are built by 'Actions/Turn' and crews can be composed anyway the players want, we wanted to see if either extreme had an inherent advantage. And yes, the game confirmed my suspicion that a mixed Quality unit was the best route to go. End of the day, players do have the freedom to make larger squads of lesser-quality troops.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:52:54 PM by Dentatus »

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Large ZONA ALFA game Saturday afternoon. Four of us battling over supplies in an old factory.

Another fun day of salvage and survival in the Exclusion Zone... It's coming together nicely, comrade.

As always, there's more at: https://stalker7.com/2019/01/21/zona-alfa-the-factory-at-dobryanka/

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
Superb looking set-up as always.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Thanks man. 

I host our group so I have the benefit of being able to tidy up all the soda cans, chits, papers, and pretzel bowls, and take pictures a day or two after the actual game. Less clutter and more light make it a lot easier.

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
Thank you for sharing this AAR! Inspirational game as always.
Now I feel a sudden urge to goad a few friends to a game of stalker in our club as well. :)

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
Inspired me to get some LA figs I was thinking of. Thanks.