Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Sellswords] Battle Report: Through the Stretto Pass  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
[Sellswords] Battle Report: Through the Stretto Pass
« on: March 21, 2018, 06:50:47 PM »
Today I played the first scenario of what will be my first Solo campaign of "Sellswords & Spellslingers". The first basic scenario was from the rulebook: Through the Badlands pg42.

The Cabal of Graciale cross a wilderness are of the Stretto Pass occupied by Orcs. They must cross the table and exit from the northern edge, avoiding or slaying their foes. The foes are 3 Orc brutes and an Ogre (in the original scenario is a Green Troll, but I have not a Troll, then the ogre have the same stats of the troll but without regeneration).

Background:
Kroglod stopped suddenly, sniffing the air, he recognize the acrid smell of his kin: the greenskin.
Kroglod: "Master, Kroglod smells greenskin. Trouble." he said with grunts.
Amron was annoyed, he have hoped to avoid the greenskins, at least for now.
Amron: "Well, we just arrived in these lands of outlaws and yet we found a warm welcome from its natives. My real adventure begins now. Daethskar, Kroglod go on ahead, I will follow you and will cast some fireballs if our green friends will try to stop us."
Daethskar obeyed immediately, while Kroglod followed him reluctantly.

Overview of the board with foes and pcs deployed.

Border Princes map (red star indicate the place where the scenario is played, zoom the picture)

CABAL of GRACIALE (60xp)

AMRON MALIOCCO GRACIALE "the Bringer of Hope"  20xp
Traits: Spellcaster (20xp), Fireball (5xp)
Negative Traits: Greedy (-5xp)
Amron is the bastard son of the rich merchant and explorer Dante Graciale of Tobaro. He is an half elf. His father never said much about Amron's elf mother. He simply told him that his mother chose his name before abandoning him and that she was a witch. Being an half elf and the result of an illicit relationship, Amron could not be officially recognized by the Graciale family, however his father grew him as his son and he could enjoy a comfortable life. When he was an adult, he finds out to have the spellcaster gift and his father paid a magician to teach him. Dissatisfied with the limiting lessons of his teacher, he decided to begin a journey in the Border Princes, where he could test is magic skills and learn magic faster.

DAETHSKAR "the Dark Knight" 30xp
Traits: Armor lvl2 (12xp), Fighter: Axe lvl2 (10xp), Shield lvl2 (8xp)
Negative Traits: Burly
Daethskar is an animated armor, created by Amron during one of his magic experiments.
He is the loyal body guard of Amron. He follows and protects his master wherever he goes.

KROGLOD "Axe Killer" 10xp
Traits: Armor lvl1 (6xp), Strong Lv1 (4xp)
Kroglod is just an orc mercenary hired by Amron.

An orc warrior jumps out from a bush attacking Kroglod, but he is defeated. Meanwhile Amron cast his fireball and kill an orc brute.
Kroglod: "Kroglod kills! 😬
Amron: "Well done Kroglod, you are a good asset after all..." 😏

Another orc warrior ambush Amron, but he is killed. An orc brute charge Daethskar but he is defeated. Meanwhile the ogre comes dangerously close.
Amron: "That's an impressive armored ogre. This is not good.😠 I will try to avoid him. Daethskar, Kroglod: cover me!" 😑

Kroglod impulsively charge the ogre, while Amron and Daethskar move.
Kroglod: "Kroglod stronger stupid big ogre!" 😤
Amron: "Good job, Kroglod. keep him busy." 😉

Amron temporarily loses his magic powers and could not cast fireballs anymore, then he decide to run to the southern edge, leaving his servants to fight with the greenskins. Daethskar follow him, killing another orc brute.
Amron: "Cursed Gods! I runs out of magical energies! 😣 It's time to flee..." 😒

Meanwhile Kroglod heroically fight the Ogre, he is wounded but he hurt the ogre too. More wandering hostile orc warriors are arriving behind him.
Kroglod: "Kroglod strong! Kroglod no surrender to big stupid ogre!"

Amron and Daethskar are now distant from the greenskins, however they could still fall in some traps.
Amron: "Move faster Daethskar! (he is a fine body guard, but he is really slow sometime)"

Kroglod finally is defeated by the ogre, a glorious death.
Kroglod: "Gork God! Kroglod is coming!" 😵

Amron and Daethskar finally move off the Stretto Pass and are safe.
Amron: "Kroglod is gone, at least he kept busy the Ogre before falling under his blows... Oh, well, he was just an orc, I will hire another greenskin for the next time..."

The Cabal win the scenario and receive 4XP.
Amron gets 26 silver pieces  from the treasure taken from 2 orcs and the selling of their swords.
Daethskar gets 22 silver pieces from the treasure taken from 2 orcs and the selling of their swords, plus 1 individual XP reward.
Kroglod is dead and his treasure is lost.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:38:53 PM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
Re: [Sellswords] Battle Report: Through the Stretto Pass
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 02:13:47 AM »
Great report. I've played that mission a couple of times and have enjoyed it. I look forward to your next mission.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 02:29:56 AM »
I may have to get those rules...

Nice report and tasty selection of classic minis!  8)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 04:04:33 AM »
Poor Kroglod, deserted by his friends.  Never trust a wizard wearing purple is what I say.
That's a nice table and figures.  Personally, I would be happy to use an ogre as a troll.  I am using Vikings as orcs for the moment!

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:07:05 PM »
The Ogre/Troll was quite strong (6Hit point, danger level 14 (must roll a 14+ with a 20 die) with blade and impaling weapons and inflicting 2 hp for each attack), I had to sacrifice the orc to keep the ogre busy, especially because the fireball spell of Amron was useless after a critical failure of 1 ;)

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 07:17:51 AM »
A great report, i really must print my cards off and get a few games of this.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:11:59 AM »
I took the dive this morning.

Am I right, the game contains NO foe shooters, but three different spellcasters??

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »
Argonor, I'm not sure what you mean.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
I took the dive this morning.

Am I right, the game contains NO foe shooters, but three different spellcasters??

There is just one spellcaster: Amron and no foe shooters.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 02:34:47 PM »
Argonor, I'm not sure what you mean.

There is just one spellcaster: Amron and no foe shooters.

Sorry, I meant the S&S rules - I purchased them this morning, and I cannot find any Monster Cards with 'shooter'?

I am also a tiny tad baffled by the Event Cards with 'Remove' and 'Reshuffle' - I somehow assume it means that I must remove the card form the Event Deck, then reshuffle the entire  remaining Event Deck (including previously used cards), but where do the rules say so??

EDIT:
Re: Shooter
I now see that in the second scenario, some Goblins come with bows.
I must now assume that they have the same DL as 'ordinary' Goblins, doing Damage 1 with their bows?
What confuses me here is, the rules state that:
"Monsters with the Shooter tag possess
ranged attacks, and attack from a distance
if possible"

- but none of the Monster Cards have the 'Shooter' tag.

But, heck, as it is a solo or co-op game, any ambiguities apply evenly to all participants, so I'll just roll with the scenarios.  lol

Reading this AAR during my night watch was what finally made me go get S&S, and I expect lots of hours of fun from it!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:09:25 PM by Argonor »

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 03:09:56 PM »
Sorry, I meant the S&S rules - I purchased them this morning, and I cannot find any Monster Cards with 'shooter'?

I am also a tiny tad baffled by the Event Cards with 'Remove' and 'Reshuffle' - I somehow assume it means that I mu,st remove the card form the Event Deck, then reshuffle the entire  remaining Event Deck (including previously used cards), but where do the rules say so??

The shooters are available in some scenarios, often a scenario include some changes in the monsters, as for example: "a single horde is armed with short bows" or "all the minions have swords", etc...
I assumed that I could choose to remove or reshuffle the deck, maybe I should do both ;)
Andrea Sfiligoi could answer to questions about rules directly on the facebook, or sending to him a mail.

EDIT:
It's an open game for simple and nice games, then if you want you could change or include new rules ;)
Yes, the shooters have the same DL than normal fighters. Of course you could do some new monsters with a bonus of +1 (or more) in DL when using bows.
There is yet a supplement with new cards available in the ganesha games website, and more will come.

Nice to know that my AAR suggested you to buy the S&S rulebook. It seem a nice game, fine for our solo campaigns or cooperative games.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:40:47 PM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 05:58:33 PM »
Argonor, just play around with the monster stats and invent creatures of your own.  I have created a few creatures of my own and assume goblin or orc shooter stats are the same as for the melee creatures (but do drop them one DL less for combat).
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=106330.45

I think you can also easily adapt creatures from A Song of Blades and Heroes.

As for remove/reshuffle, I think that may depend on the scenario.  Sometimes I remove those cards, sometimes I replace and reshuffle.  I must now go back and have a look at those cards.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:56 PM »
There is yet a supplement with new cards available in the ganesha games website, and more will come.

Found it, had not noticed it the first time around, thanks!

Argonor, just play around with the monster stats and invent creatures of your own.  I have created a few creatures of my own and assume goblin or orc shooter stats are the same as for the melee creatures (but do drop them one DL less for combat).
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=106330.45

I think you can also easily adapt creatures from A Song of Blades and Heroes.

As for remove/reshuffle, I think that may depend on the scenario.  Sometimes I remove those cards, sometimes I replace and reshuffle.  I must now go back and have a look at those cards.

Yes, the whole thing seems heavily inspired by SBH (not surprisingly). Actually, it uses everything I like about SBH, and elegantly does away with the parts I have sometimes found a bit frustrating (d6, turnovers).

I am almost done building my first party, based on the 4 archetypes from D&D - damn those 60 points get scarce quickly!   lol

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 03:43:46 AM »
I am almost done building my first party, based on the 4 archetypes from D&D - damn those 60 points get scarce quickly!   lol

You will gain soon enough experience or silver pieces for more traits and equipment ;)
In my first game I gained 5xp, yet used in another lvl for the fighter trait of Daethskar (now he is lvl3).