Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:56:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686617
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone still playing BMG?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Zeebeest

• Bookworm
Anyone still playing BMG?
« on: March 22, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »
Hi,

As advertised, does anyone still play the Batman Miniature Game?

Since it came out I have always wondered if it it worth getting into.
Is it a game you play for a long time or something to play from time to time?

Greetings,

Zeebeest.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: Anyone still playing BMG?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:32:15 AM »
I've been playing for about three years. The 2nd edition rules came out at end of last year and are available as free PDF downloads. I still enjoy the game and play at least once a month.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Zeebeest

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 07:59:43 PM »
Thanks for you input.

I have both first and second edition rules but never got around to play them.

What are your favorite gangs?

Greetings,

Zeebeest.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 09:10:22 PM »
I tried it, but the rules are not very usable. To much things to look at and special rules to make it possible. I like the figures and use them with better rules...

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 06:20:13 PM »
I stopped playing last year. Until then I typically played 3 to 5 tournaments per year and played it on average once a month in addition to that.

In terms of game-play I do think it is a somewhat bloated rules system due to the sheer number of special rules (although not played second edition to see if that has improved).

Despite feeling that the rules overall suffer from too many special rules, I did enjoy playing the game, I just won't be returning unless KM make a couple of significant changes in their community engagement.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Zeebeest

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 10:34:47 AM »
I don't mind a lot of special rules.

But the game does suffer from a lack of community and interest from KM in my opinion.

Greetings,

Zeebeest.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 05:54:31 PM »
I don't mind a lot of special rules.

But the game does suffer from a lack of community and interest from KM in my opinion.

Greetings,

Zeebeest.

KM have consolidated their community around their 'official' Facebook group, so that seems the main hub. They abandoned then later closed their Forum, but few fora are as active these days a LAF.

Offline Zeebeest

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
True, LAF is my go to forum. Always interesting things to see and read.

Greetings,
Zeebeest.

Offline PhineusPhule

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »
Been playing Batman for a number of years now. Love the game but here are a few thoughts.

-Miniatures are fantastic but difficult to get hold of. Have not found any FLGS that carries the miniatures so I've either ordered them direct from Knight Models or Miniature Market (in the US)who typically gets new releases a month or so after the actual release. Also, Knight Models has recently switched from metal to all resin models. They are re releasing many of the starter sets in this new resin with updated sculpts. B/C of this many  classic models have been moved to an online only "legacy" status available through KM only.Depending on where you are in the world shipping can get expensive.

-No real local communities. I have one fellow player whose been my only opponent. Every game/demo we've done in the FLGS has attracted attention, people have commented on the quality of the miniatures, then moved on. Online even the KM Facebook has been focused more on the launch of the upcoming Harry Potter Board game, not a lot of Batman content the past few months. An alternate online community that might be worth checking out is Arkham City Limits Facebook. Much more active community there.

-Slow power creep in the game. First edition of the game was themed around the Arkham Asylum video game series. Batman and his allies battling against his rogues gallery supported by inmates and thugs, more street level crime. Knight Models created a separate set of free rules a few years ago, DC Universe Miniature Game, which allowed for games with the more iconic DC heroes( Flash, Superman, Wonder Women). Many of these models include "Multiverse" cards. 2 different cards, one with stats for the Batman game, one with stats for the DC game. They've done a relatively good job keeping things balanced but there's still more focus on the broader DC universe and a move away from the street level theme. The recent 2nd edition magic rulebook has introduced the supernatural into Batman with the likes of Zantanna, John Constantine, etc:;

If you have another player(s) set to explore the game with you, you can get the miniatures with reasonable shipping( the miniatures themselves are a bit expensive which makes cheaper shipping all the more important) and you love the Batman/DC Universe I think you should definetly check the game out but only as a secondary game. If you were looking to make this your primary game the low profile of the game and the support available would leave you disappointed

Offline Zeebeest

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »
Wow, thank you for your input.

I'm still not convinced on the whole thing, it's mainly because I'm a big Batman fan and love wargames that it was worth thinking about.

Greetings,

Zeebeest.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 08:27:32 PM »
You could always use Heroclix and the free rules PDF to give the game a try. It would definitely be a cheaper investment than the official miniatures and less hassle. LOL

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 11:55:50 PM »
nope...plan on giving "Super Mission Force" a try with my old minis though :)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
I used to play it. It had some neat ideas but was needlessly complex at times,  and KM are shitheels. The main ruleset for the DC (formerly Marvel) skirmish game is excellent however even if KM themselves do a poor job on the profile cards but theirs a community on FB whom homebrew better cards.