Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:36:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690743
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dacian Warband  (Read 1425 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Dacian Warband
« on: March 22, 2018, 09:48:21 AM »
I have just added another warband to the Dacian collection which is now the centre of attention following the completion of some smaller projects in recent months.

If you would like to know more about this unit and the plans going forward then just follow the link to JJ's

https://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/dacian-warband.html

Jonathan (JJ)
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dacian Warband
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 03:16:32 PM »

Nice.  How do you find working with this set?  You mention a little bit about it on your blog, but I'd like to know how much flexibility these give you in terms of customization, whether there are any issues with cleanup, and whether this set's parts are interchangeable with any others, for instance....

Offline yumyum

• Student
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 09:59:44 AM »
Looking very good Jon, very much looking forward to seeing the project on the table .

Keep Safe
Nick
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:04:18 AM by yumyum »

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »
Thanks Nick, and I hope you like the tufts you did for me as they worked a treat on these bases, thanks very much.

aphillathehun: Thank you. I found this and the other box set went together very well. The metal torsos and heads need a bit of a clean up with the file, but nothing too extreme. It is early days in my learning curve with these and Victrix but I guess my comments come from my thoughts about doing some siege figures on scaling ladders, some adaptions mixing Warlord and Victrix Roman parts on their Scorpio crews and a few bearded heads into my Roman Legionaries to give a bit of a grizzled veteran look to the odd cohort or two.

The other aspect that I have learnt using the Warlord sets is that because they have produced generic legs that accommodate Galic, Dacian or German torsos to allow the same set to model a particular type of warband you have to take note of when legs have shirt out over the sword belt or no shirt, as the legs were obviously designed for shirt wearing or stripped to the waste upper body's and a bare torso looks a bit daft with legs that have a lower shirts draped over the waist.

Finally I think the number of shields in the boxes are a bit limited and I resorted to getting a couple of packs of Warlord Roman Auxiliary shields to add in among my warriors that with the use of the supplied decals and a bit of paintwork seem to fit well with the shields supplied.

JJ
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:02:54 PM by carojon »

Offline ioan catalin

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »
very well done - I have done some dacians by myself - and yours look great

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 03:04:23 PM »
Nice looking Dacians - well done!

Offline yumyum

• Student
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »
You welcome Jon, let me know when you want some more. What did you think of the dry grass tuffs? I have also started looking at adding flowers on to the tuffs. I bring some down with me next club meeting.

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 07:55:31 PM »
very nice painting, just wondering how the victrix EIR Romans scale from the Warlord Dacian sets, i am currently building/ painting Victrix EIR and have not decided which army to fight against, i would prefer Dacians to Celts as they would give the Romans a run for their money

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 07:08:22 AM »
Great work on those Warlord Dacians, the base really looks so full of movement, you really get the feeling of an all out charge. :)