Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue Trader Mentor Legion - Back to the Grav Attack!  (Read 13499 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Rogue Trader Mentor Legion - Field Police on bike finished
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2023, 06:56:54 PM »
Lovely paint job mate and a great build  :)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2023, 09:34:41 PM »
Very slick conversion and nice paint all around.  It is always nice to see a paint job inspired out of the RT book. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2023, 03:03:28 PM »
Very nice, mate.
It is always good to have a completely unique character in a force.
 8) 8)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2023, 06:43:40 AM »
I like him, the pose is very natural, well executed.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2023, 03:45:55 PM »
So, any updates on this? Honestly, I came here for the grav-tank build, but like many others have always had a soft spot for the Mentors. I will not, however, be doing anything silly with my own little stash of RT Beakie-Marines in a box upstairs.

I will however definitely be building some 'inauthentically-modern oval-cross-sectioned' grav tanks... ooh, any decade now... and would love to see how your classic 'flat-top' turns out...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2023, 07:45:00 PM »
Well you've got me there...  :-X

I kind of abandoned my first effort due to several mishaps during the scribing of panel lines. The errors were so difficult to repair and also, the scribing itself was a total mess (read: fiasco) and I couldn't see myself doing it twice (I was planning on making two of them; I've got the Zoids parts and all ::) ). Also; lessons learned; this was my first 3D design and a lot could have been better.

So I decided to redo the entire vehicle from scratch, and also redesign the whole thing digitally.

And that's where the project ended up in limbo. Because I need to teach myself a new 3D-design program other than Sketchup (which I used the first time around) and I just can't find the time for that.

Well, I could, but the task is a daunting one, and I'd rather paint in the few hours a week I can dedicate to the hobby these days.

And that's where we're at right now. The project is surely not dead, as I still want to do the hovertank tribute(s), but until I am able to, it's on a sort of hold, sorry...  :?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2023, 08:16:50 PM »
No worries from me, I decided to look up 'deodorant' in the search function to check when the idea of the deodorant grav-tank had been mentioned as a modelling idea on LAF, and came across a thread from 2010 where I said I'd thrown away a deodorant-stick that I'd kept from 1987 (one of the ones you were looking for, ironically), and since then I've collected at least 6 of the new type and have done absolutely nothing with them.

So it's 36 years and counting of me not getting round to this. I applaud anyone making any attempt towards it at all and am not at all worried about it taking a very long time.

If you come up with something before 2058, I'll consider that you've done it faster than me.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2023, 08:42:22 AM »
And that's where the project ended up in limbo. Because I need to teach myself a new 3D-design program other than Sketchup (which I used the first time around) and I just can't find the time for that.

Well, I could, but the task is a daunting one, and I'd rather paint in the few hours a week I can dedicate to the hobby these days.

I'm assuming you mean something like Blender o_o. Big polygon packages are, indeed, time consuming.

If you're looking for something smaller, that runs on a tablet, have a look at Nomad Sculpt. It's zbrush/3d-coat-lite, but still incredibly powerful. Its hard-surface stuff is still rudimentary, but it can be done.

One advantage is that, because it's tablet based, it's easier to keep beside you, to work on things in spare moments.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2023, 10:05:29 AM »
I was not particularly thinking of Blender, as I have dabbled with it a bit and without hours upon hours of tutorials the learning curve is simply too steep to even contemplate at this stage.

I did some research into the matter after Red Orc's post, and considering the very simple geometry of the design, I might give TinkerCad a try. I was also advized to try out Onshape, which is beefier.

But considering I've become rather familiar with Sketchup Free, I might simply opt for the full version, even though it'll imply a subscription(?)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2023, 05:34:24 AM »
Love the pose! That too half was always my favourite one in the rhino riders lot of figures

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2024, 08:41:46 AM »
So, any updates on this? Honestly, I came here for the grav-tank build...

Well, despair no more! I've finally made a 180, and have gone back to the Grav Attack Vehicles :D

Last week I was downed by flu/corona, had a couple of rough nights and with nothing better to do at night, I got to thinking about my hobby projects. And it then came to me that I still had to redesign that dang deodorant bottle after my less than ideal first attempt at 3D design.

I also remembered that I had seen some kids doing stuff with Tinkercad at my daughter's new school, and I decided to have at it. I expected another learning curve, more frustration and loads of time spent. But I was pleasantly surprised, as I had the entire thing done in under an hour, including hollowing out, holing and slicing! :o

So when I felt a bit better, I ventured into the garage and fired up the printer to make the design physical. It took several tries though, to find the right way to position the design so the print would not fail. But after 3 fails, I finally ended up with a prefectly fine specimen of the hull.

I then went through the (abbreviated, due to experience) same process with the nose section, kept on printing, and I now have two complete bottles/sticks ready for the physical modeling work to commence.

The design was greatly simplified: I did the hollowing out in my slicer program (Chitubox) and this eliminated the problem with the solid resin block in the middle of the first design.

Several holes were also added for the liquid resin to flow out of during the printing process, and I was able to add the angle to the collar for the nose to be positioned correctly as well. After the fiasco that was the scribing of the first iteration, I've decided to not scribe my models and adding them in Tinkercad proved to be both fiddly and not uniform (enough). So I will add the panel lines either by painting them or by creating waterslide decals.

What's next? I now need to prep the second set of bits for vehicle number two. I previously already did the cleaning and filling of the Zoids parts of first set, and obviously the second one needs to be every bit as good.

I need to gut another one of the empty/blank deodorant bottles for the bottom wheel (which fits like a glove on the new design), I need to think about the filling of the turrets, magnetizing them and the (flying) bases, attaching the nose sections to the hulls, attaching the cockpits, and I need to source the correct screws for the turrets!

Yeah; I found out that there is a screw inserted into the side of the plastic spoon of the original turret. It was very hard to spot (I previously completely missed it), but now I'll have to tip over my jar of loose screws, bolts and nuts to find two that match the one in the few grainy pictures I have of the original...

Very little will get done over the coming weekend though, as it's Carnaval over here and for four days, life will come to a virtual standstill like it does every year :)

So for now, here's a picture of the two 'sticks' as they lie in wait on my desk...

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Rogue Trader Mentor Legion - Back to the Grav Attack!
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2024, 08:27:30 AM »
I have the compendium, so I can take a couple of pictures of the screw if that would help.

It is a round-headed crosspoint, but there's no mention of its size. Other screw sizes mentioned are 1/2" and 3/4", but they're for securing the turret to the body

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2024, 08:47:57 AM »
Cheers Zemjw, but I have the compendium as well. It's just that I had failed to notice it before. Which is kind of weird, considering I've spent loads of time studying all the existing pictures.

One thing I noticed is that later pics show that the antenna dish is missing. The tank must have taken some damage throughout the years I reckon...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2024, 08:51:22 AM »
This is a brilliant project and I'm really curious to see how like the original you can get it.

I'm afraid I went the lazy route though...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1595261880/deoderant-bottle-hover-tank-28mm-scale