Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Afghan miniatures for a MWWBK 2nd Afghan War Game - added paint / basing test  (Read 5580 times)

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
Re: Afghan miniatures for a MWWBK 2nd Afghan War Game
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 08:36:00 PM »
Don’t think they’ve been mentioned yet, Studio Miniatures do some very nice Afghan tribesmen that match well with Artizan, Perrys etc.

Offline randwulf

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 11:30:10 PM »
I am starting to paint my brits and will order some afghan troops shortly. Do you want to share your painted afghans or NWF British?

I also have some Artizan Punjabi Infantry and officers but I cannot find any painted examples. In particular I would like to see NWF0122 - Punjabi Officers.

Trouser wise are people going Khaki or blue? Also should the puttees be khaki, blue or blue grey? How variable can the British uniforms be?
Justice for Sirius!

Offline randwulf

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 12:29:50 AM »
Test figure for British.

Offline randwulf

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 12:30:58 AM »
Also Danny, Peachy and Billy Fish

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Great stuff, very impressive, old chap.

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Thanks for all the manaufacturers guys - saved me a load of time

My colonial project is heading into Afghanistan this spring :D

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
RE: Ghazis, I second Guitar Andy's approach, using predominantly WHITE for their clothing and turbans.  In addition to sword & dahl shield armed tribesmen, I also have 3 x 20-figure basic units of Ghazis from Wargames Foundry Darkest Africa Baluchi Swordsmen, discarding the few in each pack with "Arabian" bare heads and using the vast majority dressed in "Indian" style, wearing turbans and beards.

Here's some pics of them in action over the years:

RE: Trouser color for "Punjabi" regiments... during the Second Afghan War there is no all-encompassing answer, at least in the nit-picky historically accurate sense.  Khaki is usually right, but as with British line units, during this transitional period, some Bombay, Madras, and Bengal regiments wore blue or more rarely red or green trousers.

Unless you want to paint up a very specific unit, khaki definitely works well.  Those Indian regiments that wore non-khaki pants mostly wore dark blue, such as 45th Bengal Native Infantry/Rattray's Sikhs, and 1st Bombay Grenadiers.

There were actually something like 18 different "Punjab" Infantry regiments which served in Afghanistan during the war.  Some were Sikh regiments, so they wouldn't work with the Artizan "Punjabi" figures, but many of them were not.  Off the top of my head I don't know if any of them are known to have worn non-khaki trousers. If you have a particular regiment in mind a Google search may be able to help.  Also if you post the name/number of a particular Punjab regiment here I can check my reference books and try to find an answer re: trouser color.  But if you just want nice looking generic Punjabi infantry, I would suggest khaki as the first choice, or if you'd like a spot more of color, then dark blue.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:49:27 PM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
That is recommendation enough for me  :)
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.