Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:55:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scale comparison FFGs Star Wars Legion  (Read 12614 times)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Scale comparison FFGs Star Wars Legion
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »
Soooo SW Legion... being a Star Wars fan I was interested right from the start.
In addition, the more of the rules were introduced, I realised that the game shares some key design elements with my Victory Decision rules. Movement, Suppression markers, alternate unit activation etc.
Always a nice, warm feeling!  ;)

The one thing that soon made my less happy were the 1st miniature pictures, for whatever reason FFG chose a different scale as in their Imperial Assault miniatures.
So after getting the game a couple of days ago, I decided to assemble a squad of Stormtroopers and line them up against other SW minis.

from left to right FFG Imperial Assault, Legion, the OOP Knight Model Troopers, Legion, the OOP “bendy” WotC mini and Legion.

And together with another well know miniature line: FFG  Legion, GW Primaris Space Marine and Legion.

As you can see the minis are bigger than all other Stormtrooper minis so far release by other companies and FFG themselves.
The minis are of the same quality as Imperial Assault, mold line removal is still a pain, they also share the same mini design style, slightly heroic proportion.
Detail is OK, not as good as GW and way below crisp castings like Prodos AvP or Modiphius Star Trek.
One more thing - being plastic and all, mini conversion will be easy!

A wasted opportunity: Why FFG chose to make them bigger as Imperial Assault minis will always remain a secret for me, IMO they lost a great opportunity of cross promoting the games.
It would be a lot of fun to field the 6 heroes of the core IA box as an elite Rebel commando. The “would be” possibilities are big, unfortunately now they are no more an option.
All in all I am a bit disappointed with Legion, but I have to play a game and paint some of the minis for a final “judgement”.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Scale comparison FFGs Star Wars Legion
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:34:28 AM »
I saw these in the FLGS yesterday and was almost tempted to buy some for scale comparison. The prices put me off, and I now see it was the correct decision  :(

Wasted opportunity indeed, and a self inflicted problem by FFG

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 11:47:31 AM »
Since I don‘t have Imperial Assault I hope FFG re-issues some of the IA characters for Legion. But yes, making it a different scale seems like an odd decision.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »
Marketing interests always win with players interest
Unfortunately with brand as large as SW they will sell anyway and no one will take the lesson ..

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 01:28:57 PM »
Not as bad as I had feared sizewise. Yet, the material is obviously not worth the money they charge. It’s really a pity.
As Agis said, how much fun would it have been to combine IA and Legion? I mean it’s not that GW lives from these synergies since decades!
And what’s really killing it for me is the (poor) quality of the sculpts and material. I’m happy working on my plastic heap of Conan and Mythic Battles: Pantheon then.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »
I'm desperate to fiddle with a Star Wars project...and while I'm enthused about the idea of a potential genuine line of wargaming miniatures for Star Wars I am sad with the quality of material they've chosen.  I'll pick up a small set and see if I think I can use it.  If it's too annoying I'll have to skip it.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 04:16:03 PM »
Addition: The material of the speeder bikes and the small walker is different and BETTER!
Very decent.

BTW - I picked up by accident a German edition, boy the translation SUCKS beyond believe. YAK!!!
Trooper = Truppler (the word does not even exist in German)
Speeder bike = Düsenschlitten (literally Jetsled)...

Oh my...

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 07:49:23 PM »
It was a board decision regarding the scale, not really FFG's fault.

It'll stop me from buying into it though  :?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 08:57:42 PM »
Addition: The material of the speeder bikes and the small walker is different and BETTER!
Very decent.

BTW - I picked up by accident a German edition, boy the translation SUCKS beyond believe. YAK!!!
Trooper = Truppler (the word does not even exist in German)
Speeder bike = Düsenschlitten (literally Jetsled)...

Oh my...
I will get the german edition, can you work with the rules to play it. Or is it so bad and I should try to get the English?

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 03:55:25 AM »
I agree with Agis and everyone else that the larger scale is a mistake. Though I am going to check out the old bendy wotc SW to see if there are any alien heads I can use. Some of those were oversized. Just a matter of time before someone produces alternate resin or 3D printed heads & arms. While most 28-30mm stuff is too small, some oversized GW heads and hands seem like they could work. Catachan bits, bare marines heads, etc. the newer better proportioned GW figures, like the Orlocks or genestealr cult figures, look too small to use when I compared them.

As for material, I have assembled the rebel’s from the main box. The infantry figures are stiffer than the usual board game figures but not hard plastic miniatures. Like Agis mentioned, removing mold lines is a pain. Though the AT-RT and speeder bikes are hard plastic. But also with FFG being primarily a board game company they are trying to appeal to a broad market so the figures are partially assembled. The AT-RT main body halves I received have a slight gap near the back because it was glued in the factory. Also because the infantry is not hard plastic I had to trim the tabs on the arms of a number of figures to get them to fit properly.

On a positive note the figures are the most detailed SW gaming figures I have seen produced. But sadly they are still not the high quality I was really wanting. Since I never bought into X-wing, Armada or Imperial Assault I will at least give Legion a chance. At the least I can use the figures with other rules.

-A
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »
I will get the german edition, can you work with the rules to play it. Or is it so bad and I should try to get the English?
It works, but it just sounds very awkward most of the time!
I downloaded the english version asap...

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 08:09:40 AM »
OK, one day later. After much whining I got my sxxx together and painted Captain Rex. Since it was confirmed in Rebels that he fought on Endor, I just had to paint him.

See:

I also put him side by side with some other minis, the Rebels are not as tall as the Stormtrooper, so I might be able to sneak in some Imperial Assault minis!

Han (IA), Rex (Legion), Chewie (IA) - works!

Hera (IA), Rex (Legion), Chopper (IA) - works!

Tanith 1st Infantryman (GW 28mm), Rex (Legion 35mm), WWII US Inafntryman (Artizan 28mm) - no way!

more as always on my site: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/legion.html

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 08:24:38 AM »
That's useful to know about the Rebels. Please feel free to post up any other potential Legion - Imperial Assault combos! As it was clearly a choice not to make them compatible I can't help but think that it was either some sort of licensing stipulation or just to keep the systems separate for commercial reasons.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 03:35:20 AM »
     I was able to get my hands on the Imperial forces and put some paint on them. I'd post images, but I'm still having issues with photo hosting. (Thanks Photobucket.) I really enjoyed painting the Stormtroopers, and Darth Vader. And the AT-ST is absolutely awesome. The plastic is an improvement over the Imperial Assault stuff in my opinion. It doesn't bend as much, and it doesn't fray as badly when you run a knife blade across the seams. The scales may be off, but the scales for the whole Imperial Assault range was all over the place. This is wild speculation, but I think the re-scaling issue has something to do with Hasbro, and their claims against Imperial Assault.   

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 04:56:52 AM »

I also put him side by side with some other minis, the Rebels are not as tall as the Stormtrooper, so I might be able to sneak in some Imperial Assault minis!

Han (IA), Rex (Legion), Chewie (IA) - works!

That doesn't look to bad, I may have to pick up an IA Han Solo to replace the horrible looking Legion Han they announced