Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:36:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686490
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Material to Fill & Solidy Plastic Eggs?  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Material to Fill & Solidy Plastic Eggs?
« on: March 25, 2018, 04:05:28 AM »
Hmmm, thinking about the need to fill some plastic eggs, that will be very durable, and stick to the plastic.

If it was to be filled solid, with both halves of the egg together, I suspect plaster, or a similar material might work.

However, I want to only fill 1/2 of the egg, and want it to stay attached to the plastic.

Auto Body Putty, and/or Filler would seem like a logical choice, as would epoxy, but I suspect the latter is probably more expensive than the auto body materials.  I'm guessing/hoping the auto stuff might stick to the plastic, but if applied in a thick layer, I'm concerned that it also may not dry thoroughly, and harden, as desired.

I suspect I can apply it in layers, to get around the applying it too thick issue, and let it dry a bit at a time.

Anyone done something similar?

Any other material suggestions?

Ideally, I'd like to get rock hard, but permit sanding/drilling, if needed.

Thoughts?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Material to Fill & Solidy Plastic Eggs?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 06:41:56 AM »
I don't have any specific  material to recommend but the type of plastic may matter, a lot.  Some will be very hard to get any material to adhere to - just too slippery.  What I do recommend, whatever material you settle on, is to roughen up the surface, probably using something chucked into an electric drill.  The big challenge is to run it slow enough and apply minimal pressure to not break or penetrate the plastic and still roughen the surface.  Good luck!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »
Is the egg in two halves? If so I would fill one half with expanding foam let it cure, cut any excess foam then glue the two halves together.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 10:11:18 AM »
Don't use the auto filler in any sort of large quantities (same with epoxy). It has an exothermic reaction and will cause the thin plastic of the egg shell to warp.

Plaster or expanding foam as mentioned would be best.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 10:19:10 AM »
Depending on the size of the egg, you might consider "Brushscape" from Coat d'Arms as a filling material - this dries "rock hard". This will have to be built up in layers.

Alternatively - have you considered using full wooden eggs as a base ? This will save you the filling part... These are available in a several sizes and also in a 2 part-hollowed out form which may be easier depending on what you want to use them for.

Just search "wooden eggs" on Ebay, Amazon or similar sites - you'll be amazed on the choice you'll have.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »
"No nails" builders adhesive. Sticks to everything. Push a stone into it if you need more weight.

Weebles?  :D

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
Thanks or all the replies, and tips.

Yea, thin, cheap plastic probably isn't the best choice, but it's really cheap.  May have to try the really hard plasters route.  If that doesn't work, some of the others just might.

Hadn't thought of wooden eggs, but have some, so that might be worth a try.  Issue with them is I need to cut them in half, to insert a small center section, but if I can figure out a way to hold it/them firmly to do so, that'd probably be best.

Don't laugh, those Weebles look perfect too. 

What are they made of?

Looks like some sort of heavy duty plastic, or resin, I suspect, so might be a decent option as well.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 06:15:34 AM »
Hadn't thought of wooden eggs, but have some, so that might be worth a try.  Issue with them is I need to cut them in half, to insert a small center section, but if I can figure out a way to hold it/them firmly to do so, that'd probably be best.
I'd screw the egg to a bit of scrapwood so I have something to clamp on to.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 07:02:50 AM »
Or drill a hole in the scrap wood the same diameter as the egg and cut the lot in half. As long as the fit is snug that should keep it from moving around.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »
Don't laugh, those Weebles look perfect too. 
What are they made of?
Looks like some sort of heavy duty plastic, or resin, I suspect, so might be a decent option as well.

Yes, heavy duty plastic. Those are the newest versions and I think still around. The original, now collectable, 1970s ones were better shaped but very creepy hollow eyed things.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »
Hmmm, will have to try various techniques, due to the low budget allocated to this venture.

I suspect wooden eggs, and/or the plastic Weebles options may be best from a durability standpoint.

Might try putting wooden dowels between the two, slightly separated plastic sections too, just for grins.  Not sure how durable that would be, but it's worth a shot, and should be rather less expensive than the body filler option. 

Plaster might work too, though I'm dubious about it staying in place inside the plastic shells.  Of course, perhaps I could find a glue/epoxy that would work for that as well.

Will post an update, if things turn out well.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 10:37:39 PM »
Saw a tutorial video a couple of days ago making SF scatter terrain (barrels) out of plastic bottle tops.
He used a hot glue gun and cut down pieces of coffee stirrer to fix the two halves together solidly and add weight.
Not sure how I found it - probably through a facebook group.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 12:33:49 AM »
Saw a tutorial video a couple of days ago making SF scatter terrain (barrels) out of plastic bottle tops.
He used a hot glue gun and cut down pieces of coffee stirrer to fix the two halves together solidly and add weight.
Not sure how I found it - probably through a facebook group.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aYqNBjC8xg

The only problem that I see is that hot glue can damage the plastic due to its heat.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
That was the one