Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:06:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A9 Cruiser Tanks for the Desert  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
A9 Cruiser Tanks for the Desert
« on: March 26, 2018, 04:47:05 PM »

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/a9-cruiser-tanks-for-desert.html

More additions for the WW2 Desert collection this week.

2 x 28mm A9 Cruiser Tanks from Warlord Games join the ranks, paper thin armour on these but lots of MGs. Interested to know if anyone has used these in games, in rule sets they would be quite potent against Infantry will all that lead flying around but clearly the design was not a success, so how do you reflect that ?

Another go with the AK Interactive Caunter Paints but I have darkened off the Slate colour this time which I think looks better than the quite light version I did on the recent Rolls Royce Armoured Cars.

Straight into action on Saturday as we go Op Compass part 2.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: A9 Cruiser Tanks for the Desert
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
Looking good, I have a soft spot for crap tanks.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »
Looking good. I do like early British armour, and Caunter scheme - and here they are together!

As to MG heavy tanks - they often do far better in rules than they did in real life (this generally is true of most weapons with several barrels).

In reality the small turrets trapped lots of gasses and fumes; had poor visibility, and required extra crewmen. All of which made them poor, and hence why they were removed on the A10 (and on later Crusaders that initially had a little turret).  Early Stuarts also had sponson mounted MGs that were rapidly removed.  So clearly there was initial thinking that lots of MGs were good. But practice showed that they weren't.

How to represent this is a game? Especially in BA? Probably the easiest is to just ignore one of the turrets. On the principle that both where poor, so acting as one would be broadly equivalent. I suspect BA is a poor model of open desert battles, with long ranges.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 07:26:51 PM »
Lovely work on these early British armoured vehicles.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 11:02:14 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Fred I haven't had the joy of Bolt Action but certainly think some sort of restrictions are the only way forward, if the 2 mini turrets and the turret MG opened up on one target there would be nothing left. Clearly they had issues, as you say they didn't appear in that format again.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 08:08:39 AM »
On the subject of more Dakka! remember the Sherman had two fixed bow mounted MMGs in addition to the hull gunner's one.

There should probably be a spotting roll for the additional turrets (with negative modifiers for the operating environment).

Still lovely models.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 09:54:46 AM »
The British removed those on their Shermans.

On the subject of more Dakka! remember the Sherman had two fixed bow mounted MMGs in addition to the hull gunner's one.

There should probably be a spotting roll for the additional turrets (with negative modifiers for the operating environment).

Still lovely models.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 10:12:30 AM »
The British removed those on their Shermans.
They were not actually supplied to anybody in numbers, a lot of castings had the holes filled up before assembly.
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a1psc/m4a1_psc.html

One of the few supplied was Michael.
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/the_oldest_sherman/index.html

Sorry, off the topic of the A9.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:19:53 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »