Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:58:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: shake your paintshaker  (Read 3726 times)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
shake your paintshaker
« on: March 27, 2018, 07:39:19 AM »
as Trevor & Simon said "Shake your Paints"
YOUTUBELINK cos I don't know how to embed video on the forum
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline arloid

• Bookworm
Re: shake your paintshaker
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »
Hmm, I wonder if it also helps with pigment stuck at the bottom of the bottle.
In all seriousness though, it kind of looks dangerous, still worth it over shaking by hand though.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:01:33 AM »
nice ideia!

Although not extreme as that, I use stainless steel paint mixers, they are quite helpful:
http://www.migjimenez.com/en/accessories/347-stainless-steel-paint-mixers.html

I mark the paint bottles which have the mixers, so that later I can re-use them
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »
I saw your photo of this  on FB, and now the video which doesn't make it look any less dangerous - I have awarded your first "like" for that alone.

When you lose a finger can I have it?

Online Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »
I also use a cheap jigsaw for paint-shaking, though I haven't secured it to anything because of the vibration. I wrapped the blade in about a dozen layers of masking tape before I started using it, just to make sure I didn't accidentally cut anything off while shaking things, and just hold the bottle to the blade with a bulldog clip — I have had bottles shake themselves loose, but only twice so far in a couple of years, and they don't go far.

Offline Major Tom

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:31:26 AM »
A very useful post. 

I use this method which was simpler/cheap.  If you have the saw you just need to buy the clamp which fits straight in without any mods needed.  However you do it this is a brilliant way to get life back into old paints (I've put plastic beads in my bottles to help agitate the mixture)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmMls-GYOI
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:33:24 AM by Major Tom »

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 02:43:29 PM »
I did it with the clamp for years but the clamp finally gave way so I just went a bit extra and fixed it permanently. Before people say that the clamp is dangerous all that happens when the paint pot comes lose is it falls to the floor ;-)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »
I did it with the clamp for years but the clamp finally gave way so I just went a bit extra and fixed it permanently. Before people say that the clamp is dangerous all that happens when the paint pot comes lose is it falls to the floor ;-)

Could be worth trying, but I'd be prepared to invest in something less noisy. I am sure I have seen some kind of contraption built specifically for the purpose of shaking pots of various dimensions...

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 07:39:30 AM »
I picked up a vortex mixer for such things.

Grimm

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 08:41:27 AM »
I picked up a vortex mixer for such things.

Grimm
I've looked at them but the price in the UK is a tad much

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »
Yes, Vortex mixers seem to be £100 to £150. So if anyone has a source of cheaper ones, it would be good.

Otherwise a clamp on a jigsaw seems an interesting contraption. But there are lots of you tube videos showing it working.

Online Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 12:59:37 AM »

I've been using a cheap $20 jigsaw to shake the bejeezus out of my paints for a while, and it works very well.

Up until now, I've just been clamping the paint bottle to the masking-tape wrapped blade of the jigsaw with a bulldog clip, and that has worked OK, but from time to time I do get a flying paint bottle. Also, it's a bit of a faff getting everything mounted properly.

So, I've made this modification.

The main body of the frame is just a bit of plywood that I've cut out, drilled, and epoxied to the jigsaw blade. I filed down the teeth of the blade for safety's sake. The bottles are held in place by some bits of velcro I had left over from some household job or other; they're just stapled to the plywood frame.

I can shake two bottles at  a time with this setup, though how the jigsaw will cope with all the extra weight and vibration in the long term I don't know. It cost very little though, so I'm not risking much.

I cut a notch in the cap end of the frame to give the bottle some lateral stability. I don't know how necessary that is, but it can't do any harm.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 05:16:44 AM »
Yes, Vortex mixers seem to be £100 to £150. So if anyone has a source of cheaper ones, it would be good.
There you go bud

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 05:18:10 AM »

I've been using a cheap $20 jigsaw to shake the bejeezus out of my paints for a while, and it works very well.

nice set up dude   8)

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 12:34:36 AM »
I've looked at them but the price in the UK is a tad much

Otherwise a clamp on a jigsaw seems an interesting contraption. But there are lots of you tube videos showing it working.
Granted I am in the States, I snagged mine off eBay for $35 + shipping.
Just got to be vigilant.

Grimm