Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:33:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686605
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: shake your paintshaker  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: shake your paintshaker
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 06:44:02 AM »
Very useful. Maybe I could write up a tutorial based on your postings and put it in that sub-board?

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 07:03:35 AM »
#I use a Vortex Mixer now mate, £20 off ebay, and it's sooooooo much quieter.

But if you do a quick search on Youtube for jigsaw paint mixers there's a plethora lol
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 07:15:55 AM »
I'm sure I've seen someone before using a kind of vibrating plate specifically made for paint mixing.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »
#I use a Vortex Mixer now mate, £20 off ebay, and it's sooooooo much quieter.

Do you have a link? From a search on eBay most of what I'm finding are protein shake mixers or expensive lab ones.

On another approach, has anyone tried using a car journey as a mixer? I ask as the other week I took some paints away, and they had a couple of hours in the boot being vibrated by the journey. When I used them while away they all seemed fairly well mixed - but I hadn't really paid a lot of attention if any of these were badly separated before hand. I might try this again over the weekend as I have a couple of trips to make.  Obviously not much use for quickly mixing a single paint, but could help to bulk mix all of your paints for very little effort?

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 12:53:45 PM »
Do you have a link? From a search on eBay most of what I'm finding are protein shake mixers or expensive lab ones.

On another approach, has anyone tried using a car journey as a mixer? I ask as the other week I took some paints away, and they had a couple of hours in the boot being vibrated by the journey. When I used them while away they all seemed fairly well mixed - but I hadn't really paid a lot of attention if any of these were badly separated before hand. I might try this again over the weekend as I have a couple of trips to make.  Obviously not much use for quickly mixing a single paint, but could help to bulk mix all of your paints for very little effort?

You could gaffer tape the pots to the spokes of your wheels. That'd give 'em a good spin!

Sounds like an awful idea. Centrifugation will just make paint separate further.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:35:50 PM by Hammers »

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
I've just stumbled across nail varnish shakers. There are some cheap ones on ebay (less than £20 anyway). I've no idea whether they will be any use but it might be an option.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
the nail varnish shakers break for a pastime.

on ebay look under medical supplies,  if you go new the cheapest I've found is HERE

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
Certainly much more elegant than a jigsaw or hydraulic drill to mix paints!  lol
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 03:45:26 AM »
Search for "vortex mixer" They will range from $40 to a few hundred dollars.  You have to be persistent. Took about a month, and a got a good one for about $43 plus shipping.
Can't all fall into your lap on the first try.

Grimm

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 05:43:18 AM »
Thanks  -  wasn't sure if it was new ones or second hand ones that were being referred too.

I can keep an eye of eBay for good deals.

Offline manfred

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »
Make mine another vote for the vortex mixer. I just received one I got on eBay and I am doing the "Snoopy" dance! (That's from the "Peanuts" comics of old for you folks across the pond.) Tested it on some paint and it really does the job. I have to experiment with some older paint that has settled out badly, but for fresher paint (like less than a year old) it works really well. The Valeo size bottles fit the cup great.

Yeah, $60US seemed a bit high until I priced some new ones! And the lower cost ones on eBay were mostly either non-working for parts only, or a single speed type, or looked like they had just been pulled from a working lab and not cleaned off. This one has a multi-speed control plus a "touch on" selection. I had been watching eBay for one for about a month or so. Plus, this was a Buy It Now rather than an Auction listing, so I was willing to pay a little more rather than "hope" to win an auction. It seems to be really well made and solid. If it lasts a good while, it will definitely be worth the investment. I wish I had picked up one long ago.

All in all, I think this will likely become one of my most regularly used hobby tools.

My Terrain Blog
http://universalterrain.blogspot.com

My Figure Blog
http://heroesonthetable.adventuresandhobbies.com

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 10:42:15 AM »
Just a heads up...

Amazon has its LabGenius Vortex Mixer on sale (the clear bodied one) for $75
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CLLBZ6S

Its 110-220v.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 04:05:40 AM »
Found a review of different paint shakers and stirrers. Good overview of ways to stir up the paint!
https://tangibleday.com/5-useful-paint-mixers-and-shakers-for-miniature-paint-review/
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 01:46:08 PM »
Just a heads up...

Amazon has its LabGenius Vortex Mixer on sale (the clear bodied one) for $75
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CLLBZ6S

Its 110-220v.

Thanks for the heads up... bought one the other day and it seems to work well. Heavy, solid feel - hope the rubber topper holds up over time.