Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:29:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WW2 aerial combat without tracking altitude/attitude.  (Read 850 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
WW2 aerial combat without tracking altitude/attitude.
« on: March 30, 2018, 10:00:18 PM »
Has anyone come across air combat rules for WW2 similar to the modern set "Bandits 2"?
No ugly flight stands, obtrusive dice or awful piles of lego pieces.

The nearest I can find is TAC with the card counters, does anyone play these?

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: WW2 aerial combat without tracking altitude/attitude.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 07:20:52 AM »
I suspect you can use many rules sets without those, if desired.

Supposedly, years ago, some people were working on a WWII version of the AirWar: C21, jet age rules.  Don't recall seeing any recent updates for that.

Due of Eagles, which does permit 3-D movement/flight stands, could easily be gamed in 2-D.  I've done it.  It has curved turning templates measured off in cms., for movement/turning, similar to X-Wing, though the game rules pre-date that.  Different turn rates for "classes" of aircraft types, and some I don't necessarily agree with, per the A/C stats table, but those are easily tweaked to one's liking.

If doing 2-D turning, I'd add in pilot skill modifiers, and require them to pass a skill test die roll to permit guys in a dogfight to turn one level tighter than normal, if successful.  Fail, and you spin out of control.

I suspect there are some others too - quickplay, beer and pretzels rules, sold by Tumbling Dice, etc..  Can't think of their titles right now, but they're worth a look too.

I really like Duel's gunnery, and damage charts, since I think they work fairly well, as does their initiative system too, for dogfighting.  For larger games, just roll initiative for pairs, vics, or flights of four aircraft, instead of for each aircraft.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: WW2 aerial combat without tracking altitude/attitude.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »
Thanks. I will give QRF a shout for a copy and have a look at a 2D approach.