Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:42:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Wait is over - New Perry plastics for Salute  (Read 15235 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Wait is over - New Perry plastics for Salute
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2018, 01:07:25 AM »
Hmmm. More US infantry in Parsons jackets.  :-[

I was hoping that they would do them in HBT fatigues, so they could do double duty for Torch and the SW Pacific. No such luck. Oh well, they woulf have been too small to go wit my Eureka Australians anyway so money saved.

Never mind Carlos, its good news all round. Onwards and upwards!
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2018, 09:41:00 AM »
Interesting to note on the Warlord stand that they had greens for new plastic sets for Desert Rats and Afrika Korps. Alas, they won't be compatible with the Perry versions, since they will no doubt be full fat 28mm rather than 'true 1/56', and have the rather more caricatured appearance Warlord's WW2 sculptors seem to prefer.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2018, 10:37:21 AM »
Interesting to note on the Warlord stand that they had greens for new plastic sets for Desert Rats and Afrika Korps. Alas, they won't be compatible with the Perry versions, since they will no doubt be full fat 28mm rather than 'true 1/56', and have the rather more caricatured appearance Warlord's WW2 sculptors seem to prefer.

They also look like pretty shit sculpts.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2018, 06:05:08 PM »
So the WWII guys could be used for Normandy?

I've had a hankering for anatomically more correct figures to do skirmish bocage. Currently there is only Mr Barton's 20mm offering. Although I'm currently painting some of the Perry metal Spanish Napoleonics - and anatomically correct they are not (more like anorexic pre-pubescent schoolkids - no waist no hips, no buttocks to speak of).

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2018, 06:17:55 PM »

I would have much preferred Warlord to release plastic italians to replace the existing metal ones instead of the brits and afrika korps which many would still not buy because they would choose the Perry ones. For that matter, I would have also preferred the Perry twins to do plastic italians instead of the GIs. Obviously I understand that from a marketing point of view italians won't sell as much as us, brits and germans but it seems they don't get fair attention.

PS I'm not Italian! lol

On the medieval sector, I like the hyw cavalry - would love a caparisoned horse in the sprue! :D

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »

That's kind of you, I would have said cartoonish. Certainly they often tend more towards "Beano" than they do to their namesake comic "Warlord". 'Full Fat' is the word too, I'm pretty sure some of their sculptors get WWII Re-enactors to model for them.

I imagine the rules for the .50 MP 40 should be popular, but not so much the clown's m/c they're riding; roll a 1 and the wheels fly off.

;)   

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »
Isn’t that Dennis and Gnasher in the photo?

One must be fair here. The Perry brothers also released a mini-bike combo, that was widely derided so they withdrew it.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »
I think the Rubicon one is going to take some beating...  ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2018, 03:50:48 PM »
There seems to be an interrupt between bike builders and figure makers across the board, perhaps due to the model maker working to a scale and the figure makers not so much. That said, Warlord, Perry and yes, even Rubicon too, are all making the wheels too small. They should be at or above knee height in the riding position and with hardly any space between front wheel and engine.

The Tamiya 1/48 one looks right proportionately, but I've no idea how it would look with Perry Crew (not that you can get them separate anyway). Warlord's chunky monkeys might be a closer fit though (same issue).

Anyhoo, its old ground we've covered before, as Carlos says, with regard to the Perry model a while back and of course this is the BB Board, so we could be outliving our welcome with our mechanicky chat.

;)

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2018, 12:13:06 PM »
 I would have said cartoonish. Certainly they often tend more towards "Beano" than they do to their namesake comic "Warlord". 'Full Fat' is the word too, I'm pretty sure some of their sculptors get WWII Re-enactors to model for them.

;)
[/quote]

Isn't the owner a rather very , very big gentlemen .  Maybe this more a reflection in today's super size
Burger nations of the western world . The average Tommy /Fritz was a a waif compared to know ,nearer to Dickensian than this century in bulk.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2018, 02:59:07 PM »
Guys are a bit hard on Warlord. I prefer the Perry stuff too but Warlord has a certain stylized charm and they have been very good to us as 28mm WW2 collectors. I never would have dreamed 15 years ago when I was playing Battleground WW2 that we would ever have the kind of choices for 28mm we have today. I think Warlord  is going for something more like the Sgt. Rock comics. The notion that if a figure's goal isn't to match a standard of photographic realism and proportion they are "shit" is a bit prosaic if you ask me. Sculpting is indeed an art and therefore there will be different styles. I can't stand a lot of the figures "sculpted" in CAD because they often completely lack this very sort of stylization that gives them character. I like the new Warlord Winter Germans and Soviets and will likely use them for Stalingrad gaming...

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »
Warlord Plastics have a chunky Styling which mixes in well with many of the popular metal ranges such as Artizan, Black Tree and Crusader.

Offline Hudson

• Schoolboy
  • Can't be bothered.
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2018, 03:51:45 PM »
So now we know what was at Salute, but we still don't know what was at Hamburg. Because those weren't Agincourt knights or WW2 Yanks!

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2018, 08:07:50 PM »
So now we know what was at Salute, but we still don't know what was at Hamburg. Because those weren't Agincourt knights or WW2 Yanks!

Read Admiral Benbow's posts on page four of this very thread.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2018, 08:26:06 PM »
Reading back, Admiral Benbow was actually rather cagey as to what it was he in fact saw at Hamburg.  And rightly so.  Back in the 1990s, I recall someone telling anybody who would listen that Tony Barton was making SYW Prussians - for he had seen them with his own eyes. 

Poor old Tony B was bombarded with SYW (and other 18th Century) wishlists, right up to the moment he released his........1806 Jena Prussians.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.