Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Of Gods and Mortals AAR - The Host of Arcadia vs The Clan of the Cave Bear  (Read 2093 times)

Offline agentbalzac

• Librarian
Good game of Of Gods and Mortals last night - finally managed to defeat my 13 y.o. Lucas at something!

We played our usual boutique-scale 800 points per side, Lucas took the Host of Arcadia - Dryads, Centaurs and a Minotaur led by Pan; I took my newly written up Clan of the Cave Bear warband:  eight spear wielding Cro-Magnon hunters, a Wolf pack, a Mountain elemental, a Dire Wolf and a Mammoth owing allegiance to Ursus, the great Cave Bear.

The battle raged around the Well of Emphidor, a spring of youth high in the mountains where the land rises to the clouds in the foothills of Olympus itself.  Pan has led his warband up there, only to encounter the Clan, who have journeyed down from the trapped glacial valley where they hunt and gather...spear and sword, tooth and claw - the ruins of an abandoned temple complex echoed to the sound of blows and howls.

At first Pan strode forth, taunting and mocking the hunters with his infernal pipes, only to have them drowned out by the trumpeting of a mighty mammoth.  As the centaurs clattered through the shadows of olives along weed-choked flagstones roaring drunk, a rustle of leaves and a tinkle of laughter suggested the arrival of the sinister dryads among the green shade across a stream.  The dire wolf led her wolf pack into an earthy, wooden struggle with these spirits.

Centaurs come clattering through broken marble streets:

The Minotaur swung his heavy chain at the legs of the Mammoth, but was rebuffed with a swinging blow from the shaggy beast's massive tusks, which snapped even it's muscle-bound bull-neck. 

Meanwhile Ursus was provoked into a rage, and lunged into a fight with Chiron the Centaur, who heroically but foolishly turned and skittered backwards, only to receive blow after blow of might claws in a running fight...eventually he fled, galloping to the aid of the Dryads.

Chiron is duels with Ursus, the Great Cave Bear...:

...before withdrawing to support the Dryads:

The fight swung back and forth like the branches of a tree in a storm, until eventually Ursus came face to face with his piping counterpart.  The enrage bear-spirit silenced the goat-footed god with an almighty blow of his claws, Pan vanishing with unearthly light pouring from his mouth and eyes, the piping turning shrill and vengeful and mixing with a shrieking, chill mountain gust as he faded away...

The Cro-Magnon face down the Host of Pan:

With their god banished, and faced with a triumphant mammoth, the centaurs' wine-glutted grins were wiped off their bearded faces, and they dodged away, yelling boorish but empty threats as they cantered backward into the glades.  The Dryads made a last stand among a grove of pines, but were chopped down before they could invoke the return of their God.

Last stand of the Dryads:

A small skirmish on the forgotten fringes of mythic Greece, but a great evening's entertainment!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Great eye candy and the Clan of the Cave Bear is a great idea for a faction.
Top drawer.
 :-*

Offline Daysman

• Librarian
 :-*
Super ideas and very nice minis!!

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Yep, that looks like it was a cracking game!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
I can only echo what's been said already.

I need to get OGAM on the table, too, as I like the concept of the game - I just need to get a couple of godly minis to 'lead' some warbands...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Very nice. I really like those Eureka Centaurs.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
The Clan of the Cave Bear sounds brilliant  :-*

I am reading Jean Auel's, 'Clan of the Cave Bear' novel at the moment.
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Most enjoyable game write up, with some very nicely painted figures, I especially like the Cro-Magnon men and the wolves, both the figures and the painting.

Do you mind me asking who makes the wolves.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
Fantastic stuff

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Great looking game and super write up. I love Ogam and need to play more! Love your ruins and terrain.

Offline agentbalzac

• Librarian
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. The Clan of the Cave Bear list was thrown together at the last minute and very much based around what minis were to hand.

Do you mind me asking who makes the wolves.

The small wolves are from North Star pack FGX003 .  The big wolf in the last pic is a Dire Wolf from the excellent Reaper Bones range.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Thanks for the info

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
great scenery and figurines !

love the idea to create a new list from cavemen   o_o o_o
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[