Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2018, 06:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Sealed storage for scenery  (Read 882 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
Re: Sealed storage for scenery
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys  :D - really much appreciated.

Responding to the approaches suggested:
Erm...I think it fair to say they don't seal so much as close.
No, they're far from airtight.
But maybe you could get some foam (a cut up sleeping mat would give a tight seal) to act as a washer on the closing edges?

Looking long term, and not to do with storing gaming materials, if you are going to be in the house for any decent amount of time then it may be worth investing in some proper damp-proofing. Or having it done again if it was done before. I assume the walls are lined, so have them ripped down and a fresh damp-proof layer put in. Ditto the floor.
Yeah, a lot of money and a lot of hassle, but it may prove a wise investment for when you sell the house because then it would be a functional room and an extra feature that will increase the value of the property, rather than just a dank space that rots everything and gives people pneumonia.
You're right of course; we actually have NO damp-proofing, we loved the bare rock walls when we bought it, and the stone arches in the innermost room (or outermost - it's at the front of the house, but you have to get to it from the rear of the house and work outwards to it. We probably won't change it - I think it would be cheaper to buy a garage somewhere nearby and use that! The point about sales value is obviously something to consider.

Boxes, bags and silica gel - adding a 'seal' of sorts to boxes could be a good idea, and I should try out the silica gel anyway, whether it's for boxes or bags.

There are types you can recharge by placing in a low temperature oven for a couple of hours to remove accumulated water. Also there are ones which change colour when saturated so you know when to change them out - great if you have transparent bins.
These are the pink to blue (or is it blue to pink?) ones, right?

emergency/survival food storage containers generally have airtight seals.  add some of the rechargeable desiccant packets/bags.
Emergency boxes could be a very good idea - have to find the right size. And not good for boards, of course, but could work very well for smaller stuff.

Cheers all, will update any results.  :D