Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:31:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686556
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sealed storage for scenery  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Sealed storage for scenery
« on: March 31, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
The only decent storage space I have is below ground, and although that means it would probably survive most natural and human made disasters, humidity would destroy the stuff in hours - unless it's all plastic.
A cardboard box starts deteriorating due to the damp in that amount of time, and some form of mould can appear in days.

I have stored plastic objects, and they fare well - no so confident about painted stuff, and if any metal, paper, wood or other degradable material is added, it's no good at all.

So to get to the point: any suggestions for really good sealing containers - this is for normal sized senery and entire boards (2'x2') with scenery on them (so in this case some sort of sealable bag would do.

Dehumidification is not a solution, as I am confident a dehumidifier would itself degrade (!) and I wouldn't want to keep the thing on 24 hours - and any modifications to the building structure would be rather major... :-[

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sealed storage for scenery
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »
I'd say your best bet would be the vacuum storage bags . The type designed for storing clothing. These are designed to be moisture resistant.

I store a fair amount in my workshop.These have worked quite well for me.For trees and delicate items a box frame does help reduce the compression on the item.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 05:43:18 PM »
From the rather bleak description you've provided it doesn't sound like 'decent storage space' to me.
Still, as needs must, I suppose.

What about some of those larger Really Useful Boxes? That's about all I can think of to be honest. It may cost a bit for a few of the big ones but it may prove cheaper in the long run and they have the added advantage of being stackable and having handles. And you've always got them for other things should you ever move and inherit a non-damp basement.
Bleaker than it really is - miniatures and small scenery are better catered for upstairs.
The Really-Usefuls: so do they seal well? I have a few large plastic boxes, some seal reasonably, some badly, but all fail to protect from the damp so far. If they do it might be a way out.

I'd say your best bet would be the vacuum storage bags . The type designed for storing clothing. These are designed to be moisture resistant.

I store a fair amount in my workshop.These have worked quite well for me.For trees and delicate items a box frame does help reduce the compression on the item.

I had thought of that and appreciate the opinion of someone who's tried it. Any particular brand?

Thanks guys  8)

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 11:00:44 PM »
Not being sarcastic but my best recommendation is to move to better quarters.  I wouldn't store anything in the environment you've described, not even plastic.  The vacuum bags is a reasonable suggestion but I'm not sure they'd survive in the conditions you are dealing with - a lot different that a shop, at least within my reckonings.

Good luck, sounds like a challenge.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 11:05:17 PM »
Have you tried including silica gel packs in the boxes to absorb the moisture?  If you can't get the silica gel then rice in a net bag will also work to an extent.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 07:10:42 AM »
Not being sarcastic but my best recommendation is to move to better quarters.  I wouldn't store anything in the environment you've described, not even plastic.  The vacuum bags is a reasonable suggestion but I'm not sure they'd survive in the conditions you are dealing with - a lot different that a shop, at least within my reckonings.

Good luck, sounds like a challenge.
I would if I could, but that's what I have so I'm afraid I have few options at present.
Mind you, plastics have survived well (unpainted) for years on end now, with no sign of degradation.

It's also a nice place for a game incidentally, as the cellar is cut in rock - would be ideal for a dungeon crawl atmosphere in fact.
Have you tried including silica gel packs in the boxes to absorb the moisture?  If you can't get the silica gel then rice in a net bag will also work to an extent.
Tell the truth I haven't - worried they'd have to be replaced rapidly. But I should give them a go.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 08:24:03 AM »
Also good is the grain for cat toilets. Use it when my car is to wet in the winter time, it take the moisture and get hard. You only have to remove it from time to time.

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
My suggestion is food boxes - large cake boxes in plastic probably take 300*300*120mm (12*12*4 inches).

I have a number of Really Useful Boxes, but they do not seal (you could put the items in sealed plastic bags).

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 12:18:21 PM »
Other cake box vendors are available...
https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/turquoise-square-cake-box-set/633693-1000

A silica gel pack is probably worth adding

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 02:19:20 PM »
Tell the truth I haven't - worried they'd have to be replaced rapidly. But I should give them a go.

There are types you can recharge by placing in a low temperature oven for a couple of hours to remove accumulated water. Also there are ones which change colour when saturated so you know when to change them out - great if you have transparent bins.

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 04:16:42 PM »
You can get silica gel packs pretty cheaply at sites like Ebay, Amazon, or Aliexpress, 50 to 100 (depending on how many grams per packet) for just a few dollars/euros. I have a sometimes damp basement and so I keep a couple in every storage box of minis.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 09:33:50 PM »
Really Useful Boxes with cling film across the top before you put the lid on.

Only drawback is you may need to replace the cling film every time you open it.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 03:03:54 AM »
emergency/survival food storage containers generally have airtight seals.  add some of the rechargeable desiccant packets/bags.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 01:46:27 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys  :D - really much appreciated.

Responding to the approaches suggested:
Erm...I think it fair to say they don't seal so much as close.
No, they're far from airtight.
But maybe you could get some foam (a cut up sleeping mat would give a tight seal) to act as a washer on the closing edges?

Looking long term, and not to do with storing gaming materials, if you are going to be in the house for any decent amount of time then it may be worth investing in some proper damp-proofing. Or having it done again if it was done before. I assume the walls are lined, so have them ripped down and a fresh damp-proof layer put in. Ditto the floor.
Yeah, a lot of money and a lot of hassle, but it may prove a wise investment for when you sell the house because then it would be a functional room and an extra feature that will increase the value of the property, rather than just a dank space that rots everything and gives people pneumonia.
You're right of course; we actually have NO damp-proofing, we loved the bare rock walls when we bought it, and the stone arches in the innermost room (or outermost - it's at the front of the house, but you have to get to it from the rear of the house and work outwards to it. We probably won't change it - I think it would be cheaper to buy a garage somewhere nearby and use that! The point about sales value is obviously something to consider.

Boxes, bags and silica gel - adding a 'seal' of sorts to boxes could be a good idea, and I should try out the silica gel anyway, whether it's for boxes or bags.

There are types you can recharge by placing in a low temperature oven for a couple of hours to remove accumulated water. Also there are ones which change colour when saturated so you know when to change them out - great if you have transparent bins.
These are the pink to blue (or is it blue to pink?) ones, right?

emergency/survival food storage containers generally have airtight seals.  add some of the rechargeable desiccant packets/bags.
Emergency boxes could be a very good idea - have to find the right size. And not good for boards, of course, but could work very well for smaller stuff.

Cheers all, will update any results.  :D