Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686490
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cossacks for Pikeman's Lament  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Tibson

• Bookworm
Cossacks for Pikeman's Lament
« on: March 31, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »
Our group is thinking about starting a Pikeman's Lament campaign together.  To prepare, I pulled out an old Cossack army that I hadn't ever really got onto the table and rebased it for PL.  After doing no serious painting for 5+ years (quick WWII guys hardly count), I painted my first two new Cossacks as well. The goal is to not have any duplicate figures in the army.  I have a few more guys to paint so I'll be pretty close.

The first three units are Dragoons.  I decided to go with mixed foot/mounted figures.  The game recommends a 30mm round base for mounting two foot together but I found that was way too small and went for 40mm rounds.  I was skeptical at first but I really love how they came out.  I plan on going back and redoing a couple of the stands to change the guy from holding the horse to a banner.  These are all Foundry.

Another Dragoon stand with mixed foot/mounted.  More Foundry.

Last unit of Dragoons.  I may do a couple more rounds but I've not decided yet.

FIrst unit of shot.  These are mostly Foundry with a couple Old Glory and I think a Westwind guy in the front.

Second group is mostly Foundry with at least one Old Glory and I think a couple of Essex as well.

About half of these are Old Glory.  Rest Foundry with one lone Essex (I think).

You need a canon, so here is mine.  These are mostly Old Glory with an old Essex guy with a missing leg in the back.

The Bulgar Slayer!  I love this diorama from Old Glory but never really seem to have a use for it.  It's too cool to not have though.

Some shaken markers.

And finally these are the two guys I just finished.  They're a bit rough but as I've not done any layer painting for a VERY long time, I was OK with how they came out.  Just need to finish up the bases and they're good to go.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Cossacks for Pikeman's Lament
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 11:51:47 AM »
Very nice, I do enjoy these rules.

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 04:25:56 PM »
What an excellent little army, and well painted to boot!

Offline Tibson

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »
Thanks!  I've really been enjoying getting back to my painting after that very long break.  I realized that I missed posting one of the pictures in my OP, so here it ls.

And here are two more I finished up last night.  I'm a bit happier with these two.  They're the old Westwind "Evil Cossack Guard" figures.  I'm having to apply slightly more patience and not rush the layers.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 12:46:10 PM »
Isn't the archangel flag Polish?
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Tibson

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 01:31:16 PM »
The flags between those groups can be a bit confusing.  At least according to this guy who seems to have done a fair amount of research, it's Zaphorzhian.  I ended up spending at least a couple of hours chasing through links as it ended up being pretty interesting.

http://www.1-72depot.com/wargames/28mm-polish-renaissance-cossack-flags/

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 08:58:26 PM »
Thank you for these Cossack flags . I too have been painting up Cossacks to use with the Pikemans Lament rules and these will prove very useful.