Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686456
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Galactic Civil War (Star Wars: Legion)  (Read 5391 times)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
A Galactic Civil War (Star Wars: Legion)
« on: April 01, 2018, 02:56:43 AM »
Finally got around to getting a few pics of these after deciding not to try stripping what I did for a repaint and finishing the bases of what I have done. These took about an hour and a half of work, though with a bit more time taken later to do the bases. I did take about an hour and a half in the middle of the painting to let washes dry when I went to eat and watch others playing...I'm very tempted by both using the, I believe, Bandai Snowspeeder and a shapeways AT-PT inplace of the official airspeeder and AT-RT when I do my rebels, but I'll start with the official ones when I get more of them, other people had those up and running...

For painting the troopers and scouts (the bikes I painted separately, and I only partially assembled the stormtroopers before painting), I did a very heavy drybrush of white over the primer, then used thinned down black acrylic ink to coat the entire mini. That's where I left them for the big break I took, though did a lot more on the bikes at that point. Then I used black to get everything that wasn't the white parts or going to be hit with the squad colors. Then came the white, which was used on the armor and parts I wanted a bright color for. Then came the color for the officer shoulder pad, the shoulder rest of the launcher troopers weapon, and the bits on the heavy troopers pack. I then used an armor (basically boltgun metal type darker metal) to go over the guns, pack, and a few other things (like the controls in the hands of the scouts).

For the bikes (For the bikes I assembled them except for the foot petals which were painted separately because you need to mount the pilot before you can position them properly), I started with giving the main hull of the speeder bike and the forward fins a brown layer, the bedroll a bone layer, and the rest of it was hit with black. Then I hit most of the black areas (Only the seat and the bedroll straps remained black) with armor. Then I went in with a thinned down black acrylic ink wash over everything but the bedrolls which I hit with one using a thinned down sepia acrylic ink wash.

That's when I attached the parts together for all of them and glued the flight stands for the speeder bikes to their bases

Speeder Bikes

Red Squad

Blue Squad

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
Re: A Galactic Civil War (Star Wars: Legion)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
Wonderful painting. Your stormtroopers look brilliantly battle worn, doubtless from a hard fought campaign to restore order & peace to a troubled planet.

I would be knee-deep in Legion if i hadnt already built up a 20mm SW force for a year before its release!

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 12:40:35 PM »
@skirmisher
Which figures did you use for 20mm Star Wars?
Thanks
Mick

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 12:12:45 AM »
Wonderful painting. Your stormtroopers look brilliantly battle worn, doubtless from a hard fought campaign to restore order & peace to a troubled planet.

I would be knee-deep in Legion if i hadnt already built up a 20mm SW force for a year before its release!

The Legion minis are great.

The only thing that I'm kind of torn about is that the tolerances are insanely tight for the connection points while the sculpts for the stormtroopers are ones where you pretty much have to paint them in parts which leads to scraping down to put them together and getting the arms into position repeatedly for that can be a problem.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 08:57:53 PM »
Got a few more painted up despite being in allergy hell for the week.

Vader doesn't photograph well, I assume it's because of how many shades are very similar combined with the gloss and flat blacks I used in different places.

I also decided that I'm going to get a second starter at some point soon, so delayed getting the acrylic rods I was going to use for lightsabers. Sure, the paint isn't quite as good looking in my opinion, but it's good enough for tabletop use.

Also if you get a set, make sure you get the leg pistons matched right, I got them switched which still creates a nice pose, but it's one that is a pain in the rear to mount to the base. Decided to also just attach the flamethrower rather than messing with magnetizing the parts. Another starter set plus a separate booster of one means that I can have one with each available. If I want a specific weapon and run multiple, I'll use the one with the matching, otherwise the cards should work well enough.

Luke & Vader

Darth Vader

Luke Skywalker

AT-RT (Flamethrower)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 03:51:48 AM »
Well, finished the starter set...only took a pic of one of each barricade because there are 4 of each. I also stumbled onto a great deal for a stormtrooper expansion along with the full set of Adepticon promo cards for $20 thanks to a friend who went there and another friend who had originally wanted to do both Imps and Rebels, before deciding to stay with just Rebels for the time being and asked if I wanted the cards and expansion for that much...just waiting for them to show up.

Rebel Brown Coat Squad

Rebel Tan Coat Squad

Barricade 1

Barricade 2

Full Rebel Force

Full Imperial Force

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:02:51 AM »
@skirmisher
Which figures did you use for 20mm Star Wars?
Thanks
Mick

@Firstly Sotf, great job on the Rebel force, they look great.

@Mick, Hi, only saw your question earlier. I am using the 1990s Micro Machine figures that came pre-painted, in 4 poses per box of 9 figures. Mostly bought loose  to avoid expense (and crimes against boxed collectibles :).

I have Rebel fleet troopers, hoth troopers, pilots & heroes, plus Imperial stormtroopers, fleet troopers & officers, plus biker scouts for both sides.

Vehicles are a broad mix of SW ranges (e.g. Hot Wheels, Action Fleet,  Di Agostini), generic toys and some scratch built artillery. Not all of it to scale, but close enough.

It allows nice company sized actions...but i think a single well painted  Legion figure (such as the ones here) packs as much visual punch as a squad of the micro machine figs.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »
Skirmisher - Thank-you.
I know about those. I had thought there was a range of metal 20mm figures that I had somehow missed. :-[

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 05:04:23 AM »
Well, finished my third Stormtrooper squad.

My intent was to do the death star flooring style for this set, and I'd actually gotten it to look right. Then I forgot to use the right glue to attach the minis to the base, and the superglue caused a lot of issues, ones that just a light gloss layer didn't fix. I'm not going to pull them apart though, it still isn't a horrible base, just not the one I'd initially wanted...

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 03:34:58 AM »
Well, hopefully next week I'll have the next mini for this since I'm waiting for Veers to show up.

I'm currently working on finishing a few things I'd started a long while back, and I'm somewhat annoyed in dealing with attaching things to their bases for it.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 05:23:12 PM »
Well, some of you might remember the trees I made a long while back.

I pulled them out of storage and discovered the tunnel tree I'd made had a warping problem on the underside, so I decided to base it which forced a repaint due to attaching it and getting a consistent bark for it. Originally, I'd used it over a print out for the interior of the tunnel, so I decided to add a grey version of it to the top of it due to the tops being to show that it wasn't playable space, but was to show that the "real" effect of them rising upwards out of the playable area since I didn't want to be dealing with moving/storing the California Redwood trees for it.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »
Watching with interest. :-* :-*
Well done. :)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
Was supposed to be getting Veers today...then Amazon decided to cancel the order on me.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 03:29:04 AM »
Started on more trees, started a tutorial for them in the tutorial subforum, but this is the finished 1st and 2nd steps for some of them.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 04:08:50 AM »
Inspiring thread!

I think I may want to do some truncated trees like that at some point.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84