Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: No trouble building little China.  (Read 3133 times)

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
No trouble building little China.
« on: April 01, 2018, 03:27:06 AM »
In an earlier thread I talked about my plans to initially centre my Pulp Alley gaming in 1930's China. Aware that I would be the instigator of this game into my small gaming group, I would therefore need to provide everything required for play - figures, terrain and all necessary sundry items.

After picking up the majority of the excellent Statuesque Miniatures pulp figures, some Copplestone and Pulp Alley Chinese (Fang's henchmen), thoughts then turned to creating suitable terrain. From seeing a number of Pulp Alley scenario posts, I quickly became aware of the need for a reasonable amount of terrain, even for the small playing area. As I'm now semi-retired, gaming income would be limited, so as much as I could personally make, as cheaply as possible, would be the way to go.

When choosing what would be required (with the help of fantastic suggestions from fellow LAF'ers) I decided that my best plan of attack would be to first split my miniatures into distinct Leagues and then create suitably themed "home base" terrain for each League. This would give me a suitable supply of terrain that could also be chopped and changed for various scenarios.

I started with the nefarious Dr Fang and his cohorts. After making a few small generic houses, I moved onto the Temple of the Order of the Dragon. (Apologies - can't seem to get the photos to appear within the text)

The Temple model is all basically foam core, with some parchment paper, corrugated cardboard, styrene brickwork, wooden dowel, 2mm thick foam sheets and a couple of hours work with a graphics program to create the patterns on the walls and doors.

After that, inspired by a Facebook comment from a friend about "Kung Fu Panda", I decided to recreate the noodle shop as part of my next build. Once again, it's all foam core, with the addition of some "granny grating" for railings and wooden beads for lanterns. I must also thank Joekano for his excellent Chinese signs. The windows are all created in the graphics program and then just stuck on for simplicity.

We finish with a shot of everything created so far, plus the start of my Pulp Alley leagues. Not as good as I used to paint figures in the past (my eyesight isn't what it used to be, even with a magnifying visor) but good enough for my purposes.

Once I've painted a few more figures, it's on to the next set of terrain pieces - an airfield for my league of female pilots, with a modified Sarissa "Streets of Rome" building as their main hangout, with fuel dump, aircraft and a few vehicles.

After that, I'm thinking a tramp steamer and a seedy port to tie it up to.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:36:17 AM by lethallee61 »
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
Re: No trouble building little China.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 03:59:39 AM »
Lovely buildings, where did you get the ideas for them? Any simple tutorial for the design and building? Particularly the exterior decorations.

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 04:11:16 AM »
S J - I'll see what I can do.  ;)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 07:25:11 PM »
Fabulous start! Loving it!
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 07:42:04 PM »
They're nice. :)
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 09:07:56 PM »
This looks like a fine start to a good rousing pulp game!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 11:49:12 PM »
Fantastic! THANKS for sharing.  :-*

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 07:05:55 AM »
Very characterful. I particularly like your noodle shop.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »
I'm glad you decided to post a topic. As said mentioned before some very useful ideas,and builds that deserve the praise.

Mark.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 05:57:56 PM »
Excellent buildings and figures.  :) I'm looking forward to seeing how your project turns out.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 07:56:21 PM »
Great start!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 01:03:32 AM »
Really nice work.

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 12:05:43 AM »
Very impressive

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 04:40:27 AM »
Very cool.  A little clean from my perspective of 1930's China but excellent builds nonetheless.
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 04:59:15 AM »
Very cool.  A little clean from my perspective of 1930's China but excellent builds nonetheless.

Point taken. I know I should dirty them up a bit but don’t feel confident enough yet to try that - I’ve destroyed hours of work before by being too heavy handed with that aspect. Maybe down the track when I’ve tried it on a few test pieces.  :)