Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:42:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ...after an 12 year gap I present my progress!  (Read 1777 times)

Offline JNorton

• Student
...after an 12 year gap I present my progress!
« on: April 01, 2018, 01:06:05 PM »
Hey all,

Well its been a long time since I last painted so I thought I'd throw up my progress thus far.

Firstly please excuse the images, in theory it they should be pretty good as photography is my other hobby, but I really never could do product shots and it seems my current camera really does suck at these close ups.

Anyway enough of the excuses, heres the first one - the dwarf.

Some new techniques for me on this chap - zenith highlight (by can), washes, something I'd never tried before, seems putting on two washes really isn't good!

Next we have an Ork (I know should be in 40k, but seems silly to split the thread).

Again some new stuff, a bit of blood splatter and wear on the weapons.  Only one wash this time :D

Lastly lets move to the blood reavers - I painted two at once for these and although these are the ones I'm most happy with I simply got pee'd off with them and my inability to get good skin, so rushed the finish.

Reaver 1

Reaver 2

Still again some serious learning here, firstly a I bought and used an airbrush to do the zenith highlights, next a fiend told me to thin my paints after seeing the Ork (something I'd never done before), Zenith suddenly made more sense, but I ended up with more streaking than I'd known before, I think this was because I was pulling the brush away from where I wanted the pigment, not toward it but only figured that at the end!

Tried a multilayer base with a bit of cork tile and some snow, but learnt the hard way theres a difference between baking soda and baking powder, so ended up with an explosion in a marshmallow factory :D  Still all learning and fun - what was really funny was coming back to my snow mixing pot and seeing it had fluffed up to three times its volume!!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 01:12:28 PM by JNorton »

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: ...after an 12 year gap I present my progress!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 01:57:52 PM »
They look good - welcome back  ;)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »
Nicely done, especially the weathering on the Ork pistol.  Have fun with it. 

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 02:23:14 PM »
Looking good.

Offline JNorton

• Student
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »
Thanks guys, hopefully things will keep going in the right direction, even if its only back to what I was like way back when.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:19:17 AM »
If that's your work after a 12-year pause, I'm very much looking forward to see some brushwork once you get your stride again. Nice pjs.

Offline JNorton

• Student
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 05:23:57 PM »
Thanks, I'm really hoping to keep the momentum going, but think I have to revisit the basics after a conversation yesterday, plus it doesn't help it takes literally days to paint a single mini :D

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 12:03:25 PM »
plus it doesn't help it takes literally days to paint a single mini :D

Right with you there! Recently began painting again after a similar gap and (not that I was ever any good originally, I was a teenager after all) I'm both incredibly slow and rusty with even simple things like brush control.

So I think you've done a great job, particularly on the Khornate fellow.

Offline JNorton

• Student
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 08:29:46 PM »
haha, thanks - it is a hard long road it seems, whats worse is that nowadays it seems that people are producing what used to be golden demon finalist daily!

Well, shock horror another mini done, a bit of a change fo tack, but I've a fair few of these to do and mould lines aside (they are bloody horrible in these!!!) they are lovely minis.

What I'm finding amazing is how poor they look in camera compared to real life, makes me wonder what some of the really good ones on here actually look like.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
It's amazing how nasty bears turn when you take their marmalade away.

Great paint job - you've nailed the facial expression wonderfully.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline JNorton

• Student
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 05:15:05 PM »
Cheers, I was pretty pleased with that one.

Offline JNorton

• Student
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 06:36:31 PM »
Well, its been a while since I posted and hopefully I'm getting better - on this guy I tried a few new bits, pigments being the main one - mostly used round the leg and flamer.

Offline JNorton

• Student
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 06:41:12 PM »
...after than there was a bit of a gap while I tried a couple more marines, which were eventually stripped... so bored or marines already I went to one of the many Mierce minis I'd bought and was saving until I was a bit better and basically thought, sod it...

So new stuff for this was - resin, using the brush edge, blending - mostly on the face and belt and a sort of verdigris look on the weapons.

I'm pretty happy with this one and the last is there mostly to show scale.

Oh, and as always please excuse the image, considering photography used to be my hobby I really am rubbish at it!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 03:51:50 AM »
Welcome back, and nice work!  The bear and the space marine are my favorites so far (for the expression and the weathering, respectively).  Keep us posted!

-Michael