Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:59:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I need Trolls  (Read 4490 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: I need Trolls
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 11:20:47 PM »
He's a mean bugger, for sure!

I may give it a shot, next time I am looking to swell the ranks of the monsters - I ordered the Bones troll today (and another type of troll, too, use as a Forest Troll, plus a selection of other monsters), and I am going to re-vamp my archaic Ral-Partha troll. Until I feel that i can justify buying more stuff for SS&SS, some LotR Cave Trolls will have to stand in.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 11:39:27 PM »
I wonder why D&D trolls have suddenly started wearing loincloths. It seems a bit out of character for the "horrid carnivores" of the Monster Manual and the bestial Poul Anderson original they're based on. Tom Meier would have had none of it, I'm sure ...

I know what you mean. Not having read Three Hearts and Three Lions until recently, I'd never fully understood the origin of the D&D troll, but I'd always loved the primal nature of them. Clothed trolls who stooped to wearing armour and bearing weapons are used in my own creations as a lesser, somewhat debased form.

Those Otherworld beauties are my favourites, and so ripe for conversion, too. I keep my eyes open for ogre-faced spider heads in the right scale, but no luck so far. Ogre-faced spiders are fantastic-looking critters.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 01:15:09 AM »
There is the Nolazur's Troll that Wizkids has which is rather good for a D&D style troll

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 09:11:18 PM »

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 10:07:10 PM »
I'm looking too for a nice old school Troll for my S&S games ;)
Initially I was looking for an original citadel Troll (3rd edition or older 1984-1991 years), but they are quite expensive and not so easy to find (about 20+euro each), then I think I will consider the RPE Heartbreaker Tim prow Trolls:

these troll sculpted by Tim Prow in the middle of '90 years for Heartbreaker are quite middlehammer and should be fine with other original citadel oldhammer miniatures.
They are quite cheap too, about 4,50 euro for a metal miniature with a troll size is good.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:33:58 PM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 10:22:11 PM »
They are pretty good, too!

Offline kalebdaark

• Bookworm
    • Warlords of the Wasteland
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 11:24:35 PM »
You should be able to find a large number easily on the internet.   

Just post anything political on twitter or on any "comments" section and the results will just come pouring in!  lol

But seriously.....   Old Glory maybe?

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=49
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:54:45 PM by kalebdaark »

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
Not seen these before - they are really nice miniatures, especially with that price tag. Now hurry up and get some to paint.  ;)
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »
Bit difficult to see the details on those Old Glory trolls, but they are probably very old school, too.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 09:34:27 PM »
It's hard to make out the heads clearly, but these Old Glory "monsters" look like they might be better Poul Anderson/D&D trolls than Old Glory's trolls.

Not a patch on the Otherworld ones, though, I reckon: those are proper "horrid carnivores"!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »
"I need trolls."

Have you tried 4chan?
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 10:30:37 PM »
Hehe, no, I keep my nose out of flame warzones, other than FB  ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 10:33:11 PM »
It's hard to make out the heads clearly, but these Old Glory "monsters" look like they might be better Poul Anderson/D&D trolls than Old Glory's trolls.

Not a patch on the Otherworld ones, though, I reckon: those are proper "horrid carnivores"!

Those would look scary as H** with the right paintjob!

Quite a bit of options - I shall have to ponder which route to take when I have painted the ones I ordered.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 04:04:18 AM »
I picked this one up a short while ago and it's a good sculpt cast in nice, stiff plastic, and quite a deal bought singly:

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/252352

I particularly like how it's getting away from the awful dwarf proportions of so many tall monsters out there. Tall monsters should have proportions "more heads high" than human-sized figures, with heads no bigger in proportion to their own bodies than human figures. Why must I remind companies that the reason the proportions of human figures were exaggerated in the first place was so we could see the expressions and so legs and weapons would be sturdy enough to game with. On larger figures, there is no need.

Back to this sculpt, I actually plan to convert the face and hair to match the original Monster Manual illustration, but the rest is spot on. And I already cut it off the way-too-big base.

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 04:31:42 AM »
Have you looked at www.lucideyepublications.com new trolls?