*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2018, 09:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Andy's railway misadventures.  (Read 6614 times)

Offline Michi

  • Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • *
  • Posts: 3313
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Andy's railway misadventures.
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2018, 09:22:51 AM »
Great progress Andy!

Lovely stuff there Michi. How do you weather the models in the first place? And do you use a template or the shape of the 'clean' bit of windscreen?

I don't use a template, I simply follow the tips of the wipers on their way over the screen.
It's a plain wash in leatherbrown (some drops of acrylic paint with lots of water). That works perfectly for the brake dust on railway models too.

Online OSHIROmodels

  • Supporting Adventurer
  • elder god
  • *
  • Posts: 19706
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Andy's railway misadventures.
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »
Very crisp  8)

Offline Andy in Germany

  • librarian
  • Posts: 177
Re: Andy's railway misadventures.
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2018, 01:34:14 PM »


Huzzah and three rousing cheers, the deck is completed.

The boredom factor was dealt with by the discovery of the excellent Revolutions Podcast which I recommend to anyone with a long and repetitive job to do. As an added positive I learned a lot of new things about the revolutions of 1848 and 1871, which Im sure will guarantee me plenty of personal space at any future parties.

During the celebrations* surrounding the final decking piece being fitted I remembered that this was supposed to be an operational model, and that I therefore needed to fit bogies that could rotate. This caused an extra problem: I use nylon press studs as pivots, and I needed a good three millimetres clearance above the hole. This wasnt an issue on the van because you basically have the entire van interior to hide the stud, but on this wagon Id forgotten to take that 3mm into account.

Adding 3mm below the frame made the wagon sit too high.

Eventually brain engaged and I realised that if I made the connector for the stud 1mm from the underside of the deck, I could make a recess in the deck itself to give the required clearance for the bogie to turn.

This being a high precision engineering job I used the digital method: I put my finger on the top of the deck and twisted a drill bit from the other side until I could just feel the movement through the plastic.

This is why I will never be an engineer.

*One large glass of Ginger Ale and a whole slice of cake: Never let it be said I cant have fun.