Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:49:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: swashbuckling in the Hyborian age. Hail atlantis.  (Read 3581 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
swashbuckling in the Hyborian age. Hail atlantis.
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »
As anyone that follows what i do will know, I like boats. I like naval fantasy adventure, high seas exploration and swashbuckling fun! But I find myself at a loss as to nice fantasy ships that aren't just medieval/renaissance ships.

To that end I've decieded to start building a few small ships to play swashbuckling high seas games in the Hyborian age.No cannons here, just catapults , balistas and the odd stray barbarian.

I sat down last night and scratchbuilt this little ship. It's not based on any real ship design , But this will probably prove to be the "Default" hull for future fleets, as i have idea son how to make some of the more exotic ships that could inhabit the primordial seas of the ancient world.

I've chosen a scale that allows a little on deck detail without being ridiculous, So I can add barrels, crates and weapons, and MAYBE even the odd crew member.

Materials and building technique are the same as my little airships, just plasticard and wire with a little bit of greensuff for the figurehead.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:31:32 AM by nic-e »
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: swashbuckling in the Hyborian age. A new project.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 10:33:29 PM »
Cracking little build 8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 01:38:46 AM »
Oh, I like this. Keep it coming. :--)
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 01:51:33 AM »
Shall do!
cheers for the encouragement chaps.  :)
Sat and got it painted this evening, nothing fancy, just a tabletop standard. all the decking is freehand ,decided not to dirty it up too much as i want these to bright and tropical , not my usual grimdark. lol

I've put a picture of it next to a Pirates of the spanish main ship that i used as the hull shape template.
I'm lucky , My partner got me an easter egg with a tropical blue box that makes an excellent sea backdrop! :D

as always your C&C is welcome. :)

The lapiz is a fine ship.Not great, but fine. She's sailed the primordial seas for years, making trade runs between the ports and harbour towns at the oceans edge and the great cities of old Atlantis. Her captain, Ar'jraz proudly boats that her sails come from an old  Atlantean kings ship and have never torn nor frayed, even in the harshest storm.He is perhaps less proud to boast that those sails were stolen from a Kothi trader, and that he has never sailed to any of the great cities for fear that his ship will be recognised for the petty pirate craft that it truly is.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:02:13 AM by nic-e »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 12:44:46 AM »
Ship two begins!

I wanted this one to have unfurled sails to I've gone with a junk sailed ship. I've added the crossbeams for the sails and taken away the rear ribs that were going to form a sort of tent cabin.As much as i liked the look i think it looks a bit odd and out of scale.
I may go back to the idea in future,bigger ships.

I want this one to have a slaver/pirate feel so I'll add cargo and hull damage.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:48:41 AM »
These are nice. I ma not normally interested in naval wargames, but these are very intriguing (and self-made - so much better than the shop bought stuff too).
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
Those are superb!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 10:58:07 PM »
Ship number two is ready to tackle the waves.
I'm not happy with the sails on this one at all, and when I get the time I will replace them with better junk style sails.

The kothi slaver fleets are rightly feared by the coastal cities of the world. The Harpy may not compare to the the great slave galleys of the Kothi empire, But she has cut a bloody swathe across the primordial seas, looting and harrasing smaller settlements and unprepared merchants.few are the captains brave or foolhardy enough take their ships unarmed into the seas when the Harpy has been sighted.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 11:13:56 PM »
This project is absolutely stunning!

Pirates in the hyborean age is a quirky, funny idea with great potential. There are quite good pictures of Aegean rowing boats of the Early Bronze Age (and also British and Nordic war canoes) which might serve as archetypes as well as the sailing ships from the Late Bronze Age Mediterranean (e.g. the Uluburun shipwreck).

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 12:48:22 AM »
These are not my usual scale but I love them!!! SOOOOOOO well done. Keep them coming.... :-*

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 03:13:26 AM »
Excellent progress, I can see warriors with crude armor on the decks. I really like the photos as well, this is coming together really well.  :)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 04:59:28 AM »
These little ships are lovely.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 06:11:54 AM »
What a very interesting and creative project. I am contemplating something similar but then using the 28mm figures that came with the Conan boardgame. I have this Black Coast pirate galley design slowly taking shape i my head :)

I will be following this for inspiration!
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 06:44:25 AM »
Great idea and execution... :o

Like the ships...:)

DV

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: swashbuckling in the Hyborian age. Hail atlantis.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 01:41:10 AM »
The third ship is done.Started and finished it tonight.

I found a much nicer way to make unfurled sails that I'm very happy with, And i used a needle and thread to do my rigging this time rather than try to do it all with knots .

The jade fin is an attack ship from the Atlantian empire. While old Atlantis now lies beneath the waves, many of it's island settlements stand defiant, determined to reclaim the former glory of the old empire.
While this ship may not inspire the same terror as the ancient war galleys of the empire, She won't be matched in speed.For whilst many sailors and captains claim Atlantian craftsmanship of their vessels, few of these can hold a candle to the grace and wonder of a ship wrought in the docks of the sunken isle.
Atlantian ship shave no barriers or railings, For a true child of Atlantis is a child of the sea, and it is said that they can keep their footing on deck in even the harshest of storms.

I tried to base this ship on Greek and Pheonocian designs, So it has no railings and has a point designed to break the waves and the hulls of enemy ships.The sails are painted to match the Lapiz, perhaps lending credence to the claim that the Lapiz bears atlantian sails.

I made the sales by sandwiching the wire crossbeams of the sails between two pieces of tissue using matt varnish. It gives a nice easy to work with sail that can be painted and shaped.