Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:03:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Elbows' new Fantasy Thread  (Read 61233 times)

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
Re: Elbows' new Fantasy Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
Awesome stuff for dungeon crawl. Painting level is very good as well.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2019, 04:55:10 PM »

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/dungeondwellers/latest/07024

^The Brother plague doctor...would have preferred him with a bit different equipment, but a great lookin' mini as well.

Yeah
This pair robes are perfect match for FG cultist bodies.

I avoid the dip but I prefer deeper details too. Painting Malifaux was a torture despite me liking the models a lot. I have to look for the details  on the nets sometimes during the painting.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2019, 01:46:11 AM »
A brutal day of playtesting...

We ran two quests, basically a simple eight-room dungeon.  The objective was: get out the other side, alive.  In the first quest we ran our existing hero party which had been through two or three other quests (had a bit of cash, had some skills, traits, items, etc.)

First room we encounter a Wyvern and a bunch of ratmen...we defeat them with minimal issues.

In the next chamber, the shit hits the fan.  Our saga scale elevates to level two and we encounter a Giant, while also being ambushed by Ghouls

We burn a bunch of luck and extra items to bash through the Ghouls real quick (though they took their toll), and then we fled...our plan was simple: outpace the Giant (if you put a full zone between you and the enemy they disappear into the dark, regenerating (but they stay in that zone)

This meant we had to hope the next room was easy or empty and we could make haste and get the hell out...

This didn't happen.  We ran into an Ogre and Lizardmen...in a chamber which neutered our Wizard's casting abilities...our beloved man-at-arms, Tod tried to delay the Giant without success...my Thief was smeared by an Ogre's club...that Ogre then threw a Lizardman at the dwarf, killing him.

So...they all died.  That's the only way a hero party perishes in the game, if all heroes die in a dungeon.  So we started a new hero party!

They lasted six chambers...

Abysmal rolling, a Thief who took three wounds while searching for treasures...and rolling '1' when healing herself...a Barbarian coward, rolling consistent 1's and failing to do much...and after fighting through a wave of Zombies, a deadly Vampyre, etc...the party was just bleeding out.  This is when a Dragon, a Gloom Serpent and Cave Spiders jumped them.  There was no point in playing it out - the party was consumed immediately.

Overall, really good playtest.  Some stuff came up, some issues.  These were some of the worst luck games yet, as opposed to some which have been far too lucky/easy.  So, many more games needed to see if it all balances out.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2019, 03:34:43 AM »
^The Brother plague doctor...would have preferred him with a bit different equipment, but a great lookin' mini as well.
Well he will be in Bones Black in the new Reaper Bonss V Kickstarter.
Easier to convert when it comes out.

Grimm

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2019, 05:09:30 PM »
Yep, I've never bought into a Bones thing, and still don't find Bones Black to be up to the standard of metals, but seeing the Dungeon Dweller line on the Kickstarter, I'll probably throw $50 at it.  It's my favourite mini line in a long time.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2019, 04:16:33 AM »
Yep, I've never bought into a Bones thing, and still don't find Bones Black to be up to the standard of metals, but seeing the Dungeon Dweller line on the Kickstarter, I'll probably throw $50 at it.  It's my favourite mini line in a long time.
How many of the Bones Black have you put to and honest test on their own?

Grimm

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2019, 04:53:40 AM »
Two at the moment, half-painted, and one more en route from eBay.  Got a few in the shopping cart.  I stopped painting mine because I wasn't super fond of them.  They're far better than normal Bones, and I think I'd be fine with them as baddies or NPCs, but for hero figures, the detail is still not up to par.  One of mine is sharper than the other (and the one en route looks even more sharp...but that's an online photo).

As usual, I think the stuff will shine even more the bigger the miniatures.  I've got my eye on a big crocodile thing in Bones Black, but I don't "need" it, so it's not ordered yet.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2019, 07:29:44 PM »
Two at the moment, half-painted, and one more en route from eBay.  Got a few in the shopping cart.  I stopped painting mine because I wasn't super fond of them.  They're far better than normal Bones, and I think I'd be fine with them as baddies or NPCs, but for hero figures, the detail is still not up to par.  One of mine is sharper than the other (and the one en route looks even more sharp...but that's an online photo).

As usual, I think the stuff will shine even more the bigger the miniatures.  I've got my eye on a big crocodile thing in Bones Black, but I don't "need" it, so it's not ordered yet.
I humbly disagree. I personally agree that Bones Black is heads above standard Bones. But i think the Bones Black are pretty alright. From the painters i have seen on the various groups, and what they have done with figs from that line i they do just alright. The monk or ogre that Chris Spotts did for example, blows up my skirt.
Equal with metal? Nope, i am confident i can say no for the most part. But it is early in its life and only getting better. I am excited to see the new releases monthly to add to my collection.
I await the current release for a few reasons. One is, the Axebeak is better to be turned into mounts for different genres.
But i respect your position and hope you change you mind to paint more goodies to share.

Grimm 

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2019, 05:34:49 AM »
Was fortunate enough to get a number of playtests in today.  Sorry for the crap quality of some of the pics, had something on my lens and didn't notice...

Stone Golem gonna Stone Golem...

Pesky skeletons...

Drooling zombies...

A big bunch of "nope"....

A Quest Room filled with zombies, skeletons, and goblins...

Things were learned, and things are being adjusted, etc. :)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2019, 07:07:41 AM »
Great looking game - love the Stone Golem

:)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2019, 03:59:26 PM »
I didn't get pics, but the Stone Golem nearly smashed the Thief.  The Thief is fast and can (on occasion) move through enemy models.  So the Thief is often used to draw away the big slow creatures (like the Stone Golem).  However, I spent several turns back up, and hid inside the staircase...where the Stone Golem followed.  Then I continued to not roll the action dice needed to move through him...he came within one space of pinning me and smashing me to bits!

Good times.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2019, 04:06:23 PM »

Great looking figures and games  :-* 8) :-*

Someone might have asked before, but, which rules did you use?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2019, 07:42:26 PM »
This is a personal project at the moment..so...mine? :D

As with some other stuff I do, if it gets to the point where I'm really happy with it - the "print to order" stuff may be made available to people.  If not I'll just enjoy the game with friends and occasionally run it at conventions, etc.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2019, 06:45:59 AM »
A solo-playtest this evening, starting a new Hero Party (my bet is they don't make it three Quests...).  Can be seen on the blog here:

Chapter One: New Beginnings https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com/2019/11/caverns-crypts-catacombs-playtest.html

Layra the Elf, Rosalie the Warrior, Brulf the Barbarian, and Hreimdi the Dwarf...the new party prepares to step into their first dungeon.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 04:16:29 AM by Elbows »

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2019, 12:46:58 PM »
Excellent stuff!