Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:26:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A board for Necromunda - more scenery and painted models  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
A board for Necromunda - more scenery and painted models
« on: April 04, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »
This is an old, old plan.
When we moved to our current house I had constructed a work surface:

The long-suffering workstations can be moved out of the way to leave a small (2' x 4' max) gaming surface - as in this example with a 2'x2' aquarium backing surface and a few Star Wars figures.

I am now building a gaming surface for Necromunda - here are its scant beginnings. I am using two old boards on which a load of industrial stuff will go.

One feature in my original plan for the table was a lower 'deck' which could serve for multi-level surfaces. I'll remove one of the boards at the top seen in this side (or section!) view) and add access hatches leading down from the surface. I had some months back been working on an enclosed corridor which I realised could work well here, so I removed one side, which I will use on the opposite table end, and left the corridor with just a base and floor, as if in section view. The corridor will eventually go all around the table.

The ancient Goliath seen here underground seems strangely unconcerned.

How NOT to deal with barriers: think of the exhaust fumes in that corridor!

This can of course be used for other needs besides Necromunda - here's a fishy character.

The section view again, with an eclectic mix of models.

Rumours have surfaced of someone flying jetbikes underground. This has to be fake news.

This will take a while to complete, but it should be fun. I could probably also incorporate as an extra level that old plastic pallet I had been working on. :D

The original plan for the table was even more ambitious: it included vertical gaming surfaces placed around the central column. Should I....?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:38:31 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Underground jetbike - a board for Necromunda
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:01:39 PM »
Nice idea.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »
Should I....?

Is a bear Catholic?  :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »
Is a bear Catholic?  :D
Well I asked for it  :D
I did, however, learn that Yogi Bear is, in fact, Catholic, something I didn't know before.  :o

The really interesting question then is not whether, but how? The space is narrow, so a stepped or inclined rise is out - it will be vertical.
I considered magnets in bases over a metal sheet, tilting the gaming surface to be vertical (!) - too risky for the models; a donkey kong sort of series of ramps; plain levels and lifts; or a vertical surface with irregular terraces (and doors in the vertical surfaces to allow travel between the terraces, I guess).

I also have to remember to work on the top surface (the 1st deck) and the corridor surface (the weather deck) (I used to work in a shipyard)... and try to understand how a jetbike would turn a sharp corner inside a corridor.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 03:56:25 PM »
Well I asked for it  :D

That you did, that you did...  ;D

The really interesting question then is not whether, but how? The space is narrow, so a stepped or inclined rise is out - it will be vertical.
I considered magnets in bases over a metal sheet, tilting the gaming surface to be vertical (!) - too risky for the models; a donkey kong sort of series of ramps; plain levels and lifts; or a vertical surface with irregular terraces (and doors in the vertical surfaces to allow travel between the terraces, I guess).

I'd stay away from going truly vertical. Unless you're possibly gaming an Inception-like setting of course. As you say; too risky.

But a platform layout would be perfect. A combination of ramps, stairs, ladders elevators and platforms around a central shaft/column, so you can game 360 around it, and also up and down. Perhaps hanging cables can be a hazardous type of ascension as well?

...and try to understand how a jetbike would turn a sharp corner inside a corridor.

They don't. Which is why you see so very few Upper Hive and Spyrer jetbike gangs down in the underhive; they all crashed en-route! lol

The only exception to this that I can think of is the legendary Lexandro d'Arquebus, who was in just such a gang before being press-ganged into the Imperial Fists Scout Company...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 04:51:59 PM »
Uh-oh, the hanging cables suggestion gave me an idea  o_o o_o
Rope bridge! Should I - well, let's not set the bear dancing again, shall we?  lol

Jetbikes - hmm, the crafty Druchii mandrake infiltrators set up gravitational field projectors at all corners to allow their jetbikes to make sharp turns - and the gangs have to take these down. It could work... >:D
I now feel a sudden urge to make a model of a gravitational damper disguised as a street vendor's stall.
The only exception to this that I can think of is the legendary Lexandro d'Arquebus, who was in just such a gang before being press-ganged into the Imperial Fists Scout Company...
Well, well, maybe a model of the young d'Aruqebus is in order. Hmm..

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 09:19:44 PM »
Rope bridge! Should I - well, let's not set the bear dancing again, shall we?  lol

Too late; it's cha-cha-ing already and you know it! lol

Jetbikes - hmm, the crafty Druchii mandrake infiltrators set up gravitational field projectors at all corners to allow their jetbikes to make sharp turns - and the gangs have to take these down. It could work... >:D
I now feel a sudden urge to make a model of a gravitational damper disguised as a street vendor's stall.

Not bad ideas at all, those! 8)

Well, well, maybe a model of the young d'Aruqebus is in order. Hmm..

Obviously. But if you do him, you've also got to do up his (not so) buddies Biff Tundrish and Yeremy Valence of course... ;)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 06:22:40 AM »
Too late; it's cha-cha-ing already and you know it! lol

Not bad ideas at all, those! 8)

Obviously. But if you do him, you've also got to do up his (not so) buddies Biff Tundrish and Yeremy Valence of course... ;)
A full gang of spyrers, then... :D
And a conga line of bears.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:14:56 AM »
His gang of bored upper crust kids was called the Lordly Phantasms if I recall correctly.

But his buddies were not of the same breeding; Yeremy came from the Hive's industrious middle class and Biff was a true underhive ganger (with a spider tattoo on his face). All three of them came from Treznior (sp?) Hive.

And I've always fancied taking a crack at them, as after all these years, I'm still a great fan of Ian Watson's Space Marine novel. :)

The bears are a no-brainer of course...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 08:26:49 AM »
Which I now want to read.
The book, not the bears.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 08:45:16 AM »
You should; it's the seminal 40K novel (together with the Inquisitor trilogy). The first 40K fluff written by an actual writer as opposed to well willing staff members and fans.

Most, if not all, of the current Space Marine fluff was started off by Watson. Some of it has changed dramatically over the years, but I personally like the original take, as it sets Space Marines farther apart from 'normal' humans and makes them pretty weird.

The writing is also more intense than we're used to from Black Library nowadays, and the descriptions and atmosphere are really vivid. If you're up to it, compare it to the horrible Sons of Dorn, which is basically a bland and lifeless retelling/copy of Watson's original story. Terrible. If I were into puns, I'd say that book doesn't bear reading... ;D

But basically, Space Marine was the reason I started an Imperial Fists army back in the day... :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 08:56:53 AM »
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind... :D

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »
Haha, coming back to the board, I find it inspiring, I do like your take on it. I'm myself planning some 3D (or even vertical-ish) board(s). Though my thoughts are more on steep boards with terraces, I appreciate the corridors idea. Looking forward to more!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 11:54:10 AM »
Haha, coming back to the board, I find it inspiring, I do like your take on it. I'm myself planning some 3D (or even vertical-ish) board(s). Though my thoughts are more on steep boards with terraces, I appreciate the corridors idea. Looking forward to more!
Well I look forward to seeing what you come up with - especially the population, if it's anything like your Wasteland Walker! 8)
The corridors need loads of detail of course, so it's going to be a long haul.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 05:38:03 PM »
A couple of models - ancient and new.
A modern Goliath, with gang territory marker and a bit of cover; and an old Bloodbowl player adapted for Necromunda.

He's a bit too big and tough for Necromunda, but I can still see him stalking the vast dark halls underground:

(why does Flickr reduce the size of portrait pics so greatly?)

So is he - the new Legio Fausta:

Meanwhile last Christmas' present gets assembled: