Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686441
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My New Starfall Sci-Fi Skirmish Terrain  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
My New Starfall Sci-Fi Skirmish Terrain
« on: April 04, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »
While I typically prefer to scratch-build my own terrain, I now have a new job, in a new country, in a village where craft stores are very literally non-existent. So I bit the bullet and purchased/shipped a bunch of mdf terrain from both Sarrissa Percision and Wargame Tournaments for Bolt Action and Sci-Fi games respectively. After three weeks of transition and moving, I've finally jumped into the massive WT order I got three months ago in prep for the move and HOLYWOW. So much great stuff, and so much glue! Haha. Excited to share my progress. Does anybody have a solid method for making mdf look like somewhat real, metal framework? (Remember, no craft stores for literally 300 miles.)
Creator of Star Breach and NCO Tabletop Games: starbreach.com

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Re: Putting together my WT mdf terrain
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 02:49:46 AM »
Try a  sealer/gloss coat, then perhaps a hamnered metalic spray paint

Also poke pin holes and/or little tiny dots of glue to resemble rivets

You can add small shapes of card, as repair metal pieces, and use styrene model glue to make "weld" seams, gives it a metal look
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:52:32 AM by Smokeyrone »
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:07:09 AM »
As you say you normally scratch build your terrain, I apologize if I am attempting to teach you the correct method to remove food stuff from dinosaurid eggs.

You might need to prime, then sand, rinse and repeat.... (Okay not actually rinse as MDF and water do not mix).

I suspect the main thing is to get to a smooth, grain free finish.

Rivets and bolts would help, there are resin, plastic and "printed" self adhesive ones available mail order but that might not be workable for you. If you have a stock of plastic rod you can use that, though rounding off each one might be a tad soul destroying.

You can emboss thin brass or plastic strip to simulate rivets.

The normal panoply of rust techniques can then be applied.

I just tend to assume that for SF, the material is a moulded resin bonded concrete and paint it as such.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 03:10:33 PM »
Along tbat line. Cut strips from aluminum pans, and emboss rivets by poking underside with pin (not all the way through)

A couple pieces added here or there will give you more of a metallic effect as a whole.

If you dont want to cut rod, or invest in Grandt Line, practice making dots of Tacky Glue for cheap, quick rivets.

Another trick, poke a hole here and there instead of a rivet, for a missing rivet. Hole

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 03:43:09 PM »
Those are all fantastic ideas! Thank you guys kindly!

Here's a pick of going into first coat of "primer". Gotta use local paint, and this stuff worked alright. Was a bit splotchy, but it accidentally helped create a mixed texture on the mdf that really helped it look more like metal/mixed media. Side note: this is not even half of the pieces that cam with WT kit I bought. Seemed a bit pricey at first, but the value is definitely showing--indeed almost overbearing! Haha.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 02:16:23 AM »
Do it, Burma!   If you have qurstions, feel free to message me, ill take you step by step on some tricks

:)

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
My New Starfall Sci-Fi Skirmish Terrain
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
Just had a wonderful day off with paintbrush in hand and motivation in heart. Wanted to finish my Wargames Tournament MDF terrain set in time to make tutorial videos for my new (and free!) multiverse, squad-level skirmisher: Starfall. The definitive version of the game drops Wednesday, and I'd like to get a couple of basic mechanics videos done by then. Thus, I hit the paint table hard today and just ended an 8hour session. Whew!

Will be posting much more about the game, our community, and the ruleset later this week, but of course hit me up with you'd like details now. In the meantime, enjoy the fruits of a beautiful hobby day with me! Cheers!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: My New Starfall Sci-Fi Skirmish Terrain
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »
Very nice.

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 02:13:52 AM »

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 03:15:04 AM »
That looks fantastic.  So many times you see multi-level terrain that no one is going to use except to run underneath it.  In this models will definitely be running around taking shots from above.

Can't wait to see your first AAR with it.

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 06:48:17 AM »
That looks fantastic.  So many times you see multi-level terrain that no one is going to use except to run underneath it.  In this models will definitely be running around taking shots from above.

Can't wait to see your first AAR with it.

So true! That's why I finally settled on the WT set because it provides so many towers, bridges and scrap pieces for making ramps. Everything you see is also without glue and bases (minus th shipping containers and a few wall sections) so it's 100% customizable with every game. Love it! And I definitely can't wait to game/film with it all!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 07:45:58 PM »
Wow, you did it!

Great!

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
Wow, you did it!

Great!

Thanks! It feels great! Can't wait to show off more of it in action soon!

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 03:14:16 PM »
As promised, all of these pieces are now featured on my Starfall tabletop youtube channel. Check them out in action here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUHkg9HyMmQOpxXQTY-I_nA