Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:38:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The return of my pirates  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
The return of my pirates
« on: April 05, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »
Aeons ago, long before the Photobucket disaster, I planned a pirate project and even started a thread on LAF. My main motivation was my son being keen to game with pirate minis. Like essentially all my hobby projects, it fizzled after I had painted three minis and built half a piece of scenery.

Whilst I got largely used to being a serial failer of hobby projects, I always felt bad about having abandoned this one. A few days ago, my son casually mentioned the pirate project and that he'd still be keen to game with them, so I decided to resume the project. My aim is to rapidly bring it to a point where we can play some games, ideally also involving my wife and younger daughter. Thus, I need four crews. In addition, I'm planning a pirate themed gaming table (three modulable 3'x3' boards), a couple of boats, some scenery, plot points and whatnot.

So far, I've managed to stick to my plans and have managed to paint these minis so far. I have some more on the workbench and a horde of them in the lead pile.

I've also unearthed the WIP ship from storage:

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: The return of my pirates
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »
A good re-start.  Now, don't fail that young man.  There are few things worse than a look of disappointment in you from one's own offspring.  Keep up the motivation and look forward to the satisfaction of saying it's finished - and sharing with the family.

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 02:07:08 PM »
A good start indeed, I especially like the sloop. Looking forward to more to come.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 03:38:31 PM »
A good start indeed, I especially like the sloop. Looking forward to more to come.
I agree- that looks like a very nice model.

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »

I agree as well!

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »
I think,that the thing to do is have realistic achievable goals in place. For example you could say i am painting two crews of eight and three terrain pieces. Keep to that goal before even thinking about a new project. And when you are done make sure you have time to revel in the feeling of completing a project. I am serious, the revealing is the most important bit. I am a gaming butterfly too, but since I Started making an effort to complete projects and enjoying the feeling a completed one can give me I have enjoyed the hobby much more.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
Thanks all for your encouragement and nice feedback.

A good re-start.  Now, don't fail that young man.  There are few things worse than a look of disappointment in you from one's own offspring.  Keep up the motivation and look forward to the satisfaction of saying it's finished - and sharing with the family.
I couldn't agree more with your post. I would feel bad disappointing my son, and myself in the process, again. Though, interestingly, it turns out my wife may be more motivated to game with the pirates than my son.

I agree as well!
Actually, the sloop was intended to be a brigantine. Though, it may well be refitted as a sloop, as the single mast may allow for a bit more space for minis on the deck.

I think,that the thing to do is have realistic achievable goals in place. For example you could say i am painting two crews of eight and three terrain pieces. Keep to that goal before even thinking about a new project. And when you are done make sure you have time to revel in the feeling of completing a project. I am serious, the revealing is the most important bit. I am a gaming butterfly too, but since I Started making an effort to complete projects and enjoying the feeling a completed one can give me I have enjoyed the hobby much more.
That sounds like excellent advice, which I'll try to follow. My problem to date hasn't been so much the lack of focus on a single project, but getting bogged down in over-ambitious and often largely pointless stuff, such as sculpting minis from scratch.

Anyway, so far, I'm on track with another two pirates painted and some objective markers/plot points to fight over:

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:35:03 PM »
Looking good... who amkes the chest and corpses?

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »
Looking good... who amkes the chest and corpses?

Thanks, the chest and corpses is from Reaper Miniatures, https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Dark%20Heaven%20Legends/price/03518