Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:12:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Which Swiss cantons fought at Pavia?  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
Re: Which Swiss cantons fought at Pavia?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »
This has been an excellent thread, and also very timely for me as I too am putting together a Swiss pike block for my Italian Wars French. Great question and some GREAT answers - thank you all!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 06:32:32 PM »
Guinegatte...mmmh the key could be the Grafen von Romont (Neuenburger See/Lac de Neuchatel).This man shows the flamish pikeman to built a Gewalthaufen and this 600 swiss could be his own Fähnlein. Or some swiss from the rhineboarder or around lake constanz.

For the other questions i have to search...the night iss long and Falco drives me  with his viena slang who makes the song texts really special.

:D

Hiya bluechi, just a quick thought on this, but Pavia was fought at the same time as the 'German Peasants War' and I think much of the forces hailing from around Lake Constance and that area would have been involved in that? I had read somewhere that quite a few northern Swiss were affected by the outbreak of rebellions in Swabia, with some serving on either side.

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 06:41:21 PM »
Guinegatte 1479 burgundy under Maximillian against french.

http://www.zeno.org/nid/20002738139

Pavia
http://www.zeno.org/nid/20002738317

maybe swiss fought in the most conflicts in that area.Most time not official only groups of mecaneries .For 1479 many Citys and later cantons where not a part of the swiss confederation...Basel,Schaffhausen , etc. swabian war/swisswar changed the situation. Konstanz wanted too...altough Rottweil.

some swiss conflicts:

-Konzinger Aufstand 1513
-Lebkuchenkrieg 1515
-Zwiebelnkrieg 1513-1514

in the peasant war in the south fought many landsknechts on the side of the farmers...one of the big troops build in the area of baden/black forest/kaiserstuhl. Around 20 000 man...they wait for the swiss help...but....sometimes the same thing with the french :D .
They destroyed all small castles and take Freiburg iB under siedge...the other small citys opens the gates...the monasteries to. But they where to late in the year...after some weeks/months the farmers go home....in the center of germany they stand longer to the end. At that time where many social disorter or revolts...one of them was the Pfälzischer Ritteraufstand and Fränkischer Krieg. Take a look to Hans Wandereisen Woodcuts (Holzschnitte) ...good Landsknecht resource for flags and dress.

www.bauernkriege.de/grosserdeutscherbk.html

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:44:21 AM by bluechi »