Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686518
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: German paint remover  (Read 731 times)

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
German paint remover
« on: April 07, 2018, 03:12:41 PM »
Can someone else in Germany tell me what you would use to clean paint of Matchbox/Siku/Tomica type cars ready for priming?

My lads are getting interested in Mad Maximilian or making some dangerous cars for Pulp, and I don't now how to get the existing paint off the vehicles.

I'm wondering about Reingungsbenzin but I'm not sure even that would break through shift the paint on them.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
Re: German paint remover
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 03:42:16 PM »
For enamels on diecast cars I soak the metal body of the cars in acetone. Ofc you need to break them up cause the acetone would melt any plastic but I'm guessing if you're converting them you'll be taking them apart anyway.  :)

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 05:30:20 AM »
Oops, I missed this. Still getting the hang of the forum.

Thanks for that. When I get around to pulpifying a couple of cars I'll go to the local building store.

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:31:33 AM »
I've been painting a few Matchbox/Hotwheels cars lately for Gaslands. After drilling off the rivet heads and separating them I've just primed over the factory paint job on the metal parts with cheap automotive grey primer. Found it works fine. Also less likely to get rust coming through from the ferrous as its sealed by the factory paint job.