Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2018, 05:50:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1270848
  • Total Topics: 89802
  • Online Today: 207
  • Online Ever: 1030
  • (October 30, 2018, 09:02:27 PM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Walker WIP  (Read 1378 times)

Offline beefcake

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
Walker WIP
« on: April 08, 2018, 03:20:53 AM »
I plan on printing this guy out once I'm finished. Lots of work to do yet. Feet obviously but the legs need a whole load of work and minor detailing on the body and arms as well. Probably more armour as well. I went for digitigrade rather than plantigrade. I thought it would fit the look better.

Offline SotF

• mad scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Walker WIP
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 06:04:17 AM »
Might be interesting to move the arms slightly forward and the legs getting a bit more bulk. They look rather small for the size of it and the shift of the arms forward would let the piston tanks on the legs be larger without hampering the arms and work for some interesting detail. The only other thing that I'm noticing is that the walker wouldn't be able to turn that easily with it's current positioning and a lack of a pivot point.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• scatterbrained genius
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »
Interesting design.

At the moment it has a slight SD form, I am not sure if that is what you are after.

As SotF mentioned, it could do with a pelvis.

Offline beefcake

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:02:56 AM »
Valid points. Maybe just dropping the legs down further would help (adding a pelvis). That way I can bulk the legs out further, I was trying not to get them in the way of the arms. I was going for a short squat little thing. Also the legs are too far back making the centre of gravity look odd.

SD form?

I'm also planning on making the pieces modular so I can print off multiple copies of the pieces and then put it into whatever pose I want.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:05:21 AM by beefcake »

Offline Vanvlak

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 09:10:29 AM »
Does that mean interchangeable arms?
There's a dearth of industrial walker or robot designs without military grade weapons.
Looking good 8) 8) 8)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 04:20:03 PM »
SD form?

"The head of a super deformed character is normally anywhere between one third and one half the character's height..."

Chibi thing.

If I didn't know it, it wouldn't have the effect; if I do, I can't shake it to view something clearly...  ;D

Doug

Offline beefcake

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 04:00:58 AM »
More progress.
Do the feet look strange being kind of like a planitgrade foot mixed with digitigrade legs? Maybe just getting rid of the back toe would work there.
Also I've just had a look at making the torso part shorter. Again unsure of which I like better. I'd need to do a bit of remodelling with the shorter one. I'm also thinking of putting the arms right at the top of the sculpt. Still a lot of detailing to do. vents and stuff like that.

I added a pelvis to it which is partially hidden by the front. The leg posing here (just for looks at the moment) makes it look unbalanced but As I said previously I'll be printing it all individually so can repose as liked.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:03:25 AM by beefcake »

• scatterbrained genius
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 08:41:36 PM »
It appears to have too many leg joints. You could use the lowest joint as a foot joint.

Offline beefcake

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 11:24:03 PM »
Totally agree. Basically just got rid of that second to bottom section and removed the toe in behind.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 11:57:14 PM »
In nicest possible way,I'm going to contradict everyone .

For me :D its not the number of leg joints that's the issue. It's your feet are too small. All I can think of is The three little pigs. It looks like its permanently on the verge of tipping over.

It's an interesting model ,I've been know to knock up the odd walker over the years. So my suggestion is also a note on just how difficult its going to be to balance as a miniature,and it's likely to prove quite a weak joint on a base and at the ankle.

Mark.

Offline beefcake

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 05:25:42 AM »
Funnily enough I also made the feet bigger because I was thinking just that. :)

• scatterbrained genius
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 10:28:03 AM »
I think it was one of the Mekton rule books that mentioned that the biggest downfall of mecha design is ground pressure.

There is a bit in (I am sure) The Barsoom Project by Niven and Barnes where two characters are playing a giant robot game where one of them steps on the surface above the Channel Tunnel, which fails and a train takes the robot's leg off at the knee.

Offline beefcake

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 01:21:10 AM »
Some pics of the print. It's rather larger.
Hard to photograph as the pose is running and whatever angle I take it at it loses something else. Time to paint it up I guess.
20180422_093950 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
20180422_093933 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
20180422_094105 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
20180422_094134 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
20180422_094146 by Kieran Me, on Flickr

• scatterbrained genius
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 08:28:05 AM »
It looks suitably dynamic. The highly reflective surface makes it difficult to see the detail.

Offline beefcake

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »
Yep. White isn't a great colour to print in, all I have though. Once I base coat hopefully it should look better. Not sure if I can be bothered to sand it down though.