Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:59:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689717
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: For King and Parliament - quick first try of rules  (Read 3478 times)

Offline acatcalledelvis

• Student
    • https://diggingforvictoryblog.com/
For King and Parliament - quick first try of rules
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:48:58 AM »
I played the new 'To the Strongest' rules for ECW the other day - here are tow quick blog posts on the rules

https://diggingforvictoryblog.com/2018/04/04/new-rules-for-king-and-parliament-bit-of-a-first-view-playtest-thing/

https://diggingforvictoryblog.com/2018/04/04/new-rules-for-king-and-parliament-bit-of-a-first-view-playtest-thing/

I liked them - like the original they give a good game - have a look

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: For King and Parliament - quick first try of rules
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:00:37 AM »
Good to see a review of these rules.

There has been quite a bit of discussion of these over in Pendraken land, but I've not seen much about them over here on LAF.

I've got the PDF version and have been working my way through it. There is lots to like in the game, the activation mechanism feels good, adding friction and decision points, but with a good enough chance of success your whole army isn't going to stand around.

I'm probably going to use the rules for 10mm Williamite wars - but am nowhere near understanding what might need changing for 50 years later. I was thinking of using Baroque, but frankly I can't understand Baroque, but FKAP makes sense immediately.

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »
Up in Edinburgh we are big fans of To the Strongest and were lucky enough to playtest For King and Parliament last year.  We had a game last Thursday and really enjoyed them.

http://www.edinburghwargames.com/the-battle-of-montgomery-1644-2/

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:39:24 AM »
The rules sound as enjoyable as TTS... I wonder how well they adapt to earlier periods, especially the Italian Wars.

Online bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 10:37:42 AM »
Hi chaps- had missed this. Glad you are enjoying them so far!

If anyone is at Salute, come and see not one but two participation games at GG07- "The Battle of Soggy Bottom 1643"- maybe even turn a few cards with us.  Andrew will have his 10/12mm army, and I'll have my new 28mm army and terrain.

With respect to the Italian Wars, I'm going to rewrite TtS! and extend the period covered by TtS! to cover them, starting July.  I don't know when this will be published- I imagine it'll take at least a year.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »
That's great, Simon!

Online bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 02:19:40 PM »
Shaun Watson's painting.  I have a new big ECW army for Charles to command, somewhat more than 1000 painted minis so far, all professionally painted. It's a compeilling period!

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 09:18:54 PM »
By the way, Simon... wouldn't the Italian Wars be more germane to the period covered in For King and Parliament than To the Strongest?  ???

Mind that I like so much TTS that I have even adapted it to play Napoleonics!  lol

Online bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 11:31:39 PM »
Well there's a bit of an overlap, obviously, but I think (with additional troop types) they would fit neatly into TtS!.  AFTER the Italian wars, where most units have arquebuses, and there are mixed pike and shot type units, then you are getting into the FK&P engine.  By the Thirty Years War you are definitely in the FK&P engine- I'd love to FK&P the TYW at some stage.

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
Purchased my copy both physical and PDF..... I look forward to reading them.

I am thinking of using them with my 10mm Nine Years War until i get my 10mm ECW painted up.

I will probably use the rules as written with the French as Royalists and Allies as Parliamentarian.

Does anyone see a problem with this? 

Online bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »
Yes they would work very well for the Nine Years War.  I'd love to publish a slightly tweaked version for the late c.17th, reflecting the (not huge) changes in the period- higher rate of fire permitted by more plentiful firelocks and introduction of cartridges, amongst others.  Sedgemoor would be fun, too!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
With respect to the Italian Wars, I'm going to rewrite TtS! and extend the period covered by TtS! to cover them, starting July.  I don't know when this will be published- I imagine it'll take at least a year.

Just throwing this out there, but why extend TtS, when you could just produce a set purpose-designed for Late Medieval (1300-ish onwards) to the point that the 'Spanish Square' was ushering-in a proliferation of true Pike and Shot units and pistol-armed cavalry (1530-ish)?

A proper 'Renaissance' set in other words, rather than making the era the red-headed step-kid of Ancients and Pike & Shot.  ;)

Online bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 11:32:26 AM »
Well I have been thinking about how to publish TtS! V2, which is outgrowing a single book.  One option would be to have two books - one ancient, one medieval/renaissance, with the same core rules but different units and weapons; eg chariots in ancients, knights and arquebusiers in medieval/renaissance. etc.  Or I could publish a book of core rules with separate ancient/medieval/renaissance supplements. One advantage of the latter approach is there woudl be more room for differentiation of the periods and each supplement could include appropriate pictures.

I am very keen to maintain cross playability, though, for tournaments, and don't want to push the price up to make it unaffordable. Needs much thought; I won't know what work's best until I start to review the material after July.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »
Yes they would work very well for the Nine Years War.  I'd love to publish a slightly tweaked version for the late c.17th, reflecting the (not huge) changes in the period- higher rate of fire permitted by more plentiful firelocks and introduction of cartridges, amongst others.  Sedgemoor would be fun, too!

That would be great!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 01:36:04 PM »
I am very keen to maintain cross playability, though, for tournaments, and don't want to push the price up to make it unaffordable. Needs much thought; I won't know what work's best until I start to review the material after July.

Quite understandable and sensible considerations. Whatever you do though, please don't opt for the '1485' dividing line, it defies any logic for an actual point of change in methods of warfare.

::)

:)