Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:50:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA: V1 Battleboards with V2 Rules: Has Anyone Tried it?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
SAGA: V1 Battleboards with V2 Rules: Has Anyone Tried it?
« on: April 24, 2018, 03:00:27 AM »
So... self explanatory: has anyone tried using the original battleboards with the latest version of the rules?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: SAGA: V1 Battleboards with V2 Rules: Has Anyone Tried it?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 01:42:27 AM »
I bought all the original Saga stuff as I thought I would be able to play it a bunch but only played a few times. Never used Crescent and the Cross... not even once.  :( If there was a regular opponent or two who were interested then I would have no problem jumping right in but I thought I would have a sniff and see if anybody had come up with a work-around for the old boards ;)

Offline Bishop Cockthrottle

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:33:46 PM »
Our club is holding off as well, I liked the A&A supplement but am damned if I am buying everything again.
Have started re-basing most armies for ADG etc...

Offline ducat

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 08:25:16 PM »
I played a few games with V1 boards when i first got to see the V2 rules.

It works fine, albeit you do have to allow for a few minor tweaks here and there.

If you and your opponent run through the boards you are using before you begin, it takes just 5 minutes to iron out any issues and work out an agreeable approach to any issues you find.

The biggest will be what you decide to do with melee/reaction abilities. Many can be tweaked to melee ones easily enough, but there are a few awkward ones you may need to think over how best to handle them for yourselves. (norse gaels challenges for example)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 09:38:57 PM »
Thank you for the advice Ducat. I think we might just try it.

Offline AngusH

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »
But it's the cost. The rules are cheap enough, but the 'world' books just seem to put it over that threshold for me. I feel like I am buying the same thing twice, paying a premium for the pleasure to boot, and being laughed at for doing so.
And it just sticks in my craw a bit too much.

I started with V2 and I agree with you - buying the rules, and the "universe" book is a steep entry price. - $120 AUD for both from my local retailer. The same price as my 4pt Byzantine starter warband + dice. So that's $240 to get me started, plus another $50ish to get me an extra 2 points of troops. Cheaper ways to do the minis than using the GB minis I'll admit, but even so it's a pricey "skirmish+" sized game to get into. Enjoying it a lot though, I have to say. I'd been wanting to play a historical minis game for years and years, and this is the first one that has piqued the interest of some of the guys I game with.