Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:48:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 16 09 22  (Read 28451 times)

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 30 06 18
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
Marvellous stuff - can't fault them!  :D
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 30 06 18
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 06:45:57 AM »
Now have the Continentals finished off with bases flocked, same with the riflemen.  It's all slowly coming together, more pictures on the blog https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2018/07/perry-28mm-awi-continentals.html

• Mad Scientist
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 07 07 18
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2018, 01:20:42 PM »
Very nice - can't wait to see the Continental Light Infantry.  Good find on those horseshoe shaped bases, btw - not only a good way to mark up which leader is which, but also a good way of not leaving the leaders looking "shorter" from not having a sabot base.  Must get me some of them!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 02:09:01 PM »
I'd say definitely go with some brown coats for your continentals.  Will look 'right'. 

You still need Loyalists and Germans which means you need more continentals and militia - and maybe a French unit or two.

Shaping up nicely as a good start on the AWI.   ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 02:12:27 PM »
Lovely work  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
For the state line troops, I wouldn't hurt to either do them up in Gray coats as NY regiments, which would fit them in nicely with your light infantry in Saratoga caps. Massachusetts regiments wore blue coats I believe and they were pretty common too.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »
Excellent brushwork with striking colours.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2018, 12:58:01 AM »
Very nice - can't wait to see the Continental Light Infantry. 

Thanks Brendan.  While I try to weave my way around the minefield that is the uniforms of the war, do you or anyone else mind if I ask a couple of questions?

I'm using the Perry plastics for my American light infantry and plan to use the figures in hunting shirts with the caps (the Saratoga caps? is that what they are called?).  I've seen images of light infantry in hunting shirts with tricornes and in full uniform with caps, am I concocting a strange hybrid by having them in hunting shirts and caps??

While on the subject of light infantry, with the British you pointed out that the men in round hats and roundabouts wouldn't be seen together with the men in caps and longer jackets.  I assume that was referring to within the same unit, is that correct?  But was there a period when all British light infantry would have been in one uniform or the other?  In other words did they wear one uniform up to a certain year and then change into the other for following years?

With some periods these questions can often be answered with a simple, yes or no, but I'm beginning to discover with the AWI, the normal answer is 'yes, but however.....' followed by a lengthy treatise on what is known and what is unknown LOL.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »
Hi,

1) The "Saratoga caps" are usually the ones worn by the British (in the Saratoga campaign, funnily enough).  When worn by the Americans - usually in the Main and Southern theatres, but never in the North as far as I can tell - they are simply referred to as "caps" or "light infantry caps".

2) Most manufacturers make the Continental Corps of Light infantry figures in coats, but I cannot see any reason why you could not have them in hunting shirts.  However (there it is!).....after 1778, hunting shirts became less common as the French-made lottery coats started to flood in.  Coincidentally, this is just before the CoLI proper appears.  That said, there are numerous other units that wore this style of cap with hunting shirts, including several of the Additional regiments, so you can always find a use for such figures.

3) As regards British light infantry, they wore the "official" (ie 1768 Warrant) uniform in 1775 and 1776, then switched to the "slouch hat and roundabout" look for 1777 - except in Canada/northern NY where they kept the coats but adopted the "Saratoga" cap.  We're not 100% sure what the main army under Howe/Clinton did after that; most folk just assume they kept the "informal" look until the end of the war, but it is just possible that they reverted to the "Warrant" look again (fwiw, I think the former is more likely).  Some late arrivals from Europe (eg the three units that arrived in the South in 1781 - 3rd, 19th and 30th) are known to have retained the European look - and suffered accordingly - but otherwise field mods were very much the order of the day.

Hope that helps.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2018, 04:55:18 AM »
Thanks Brendan, you're a mine of useful information as always!

I've now made up some of the sabot bases for my leaders and I'm happy with the way these have come out.  A step by step on how I made them can be found here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2018/07/sharp-practice-leader-markers.html

I've also finished painting and based my British 6 pounder:

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 17 07 18
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »
Superb. They will look awesome on the table.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2018, 10:11:19 AM »
As the previous poster said - superb.  One suggestion (for the world at large), if your gun is detachable, give it a dry-brush of light grey - the blue-grey you so often see for British guns is a pure wargamerism, they were actually straight light grey (no blue tinge at all).  Here's a good idea of what you should be aiming for (see what I did there?); ignore the un-soldierly appearance of some of the gun crew, the uniforms/equipment are spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4jNkkrnz0s

Note the authentic crisp packet blowing across the ground at 0:15, giving a bit of period flavour (cheese and onion, if I'm not mistaken).

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »
Not sure a modern painted gray with such a smoothly finished wood will represent 18th century colors very well.  The color of the painted gun carriage in this thread looks fine as is - and to my eye pretty gray.  Though I agree too many people interpret blue-gray as too much blue, it is just a gray leaning darker rather than lighter in my opinion.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* Great work indeed! You are really banging them out! Impressed and jealous...keep up the good work! ;)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2018, 03:17:41 AM »
Been busy painting, but not posting many pictures.  So here we have the first two groups of State Line, uniforms for these are based on the Perry colour sheet provided with their Continental plastics, in this case for the Connecticut 4th Regt in 1778. That said I felt the brown jackets and red facings were fairly generic and meant they could cover a few different units.

I've added an ensign and drummer to my Continentals:

And another Sergeant as an additional leader for my Continentals:

For the British I've added a leader in round hat and roundabout jacket:

And for him and the rest of the British leaders I've made up leader sabot bases, as I've already done for the Americans:

There is also a deployment point for the British (I'm still working out what to do for the Americans):

Last but not least I have a water cart and an ammunition cart to add as supports: