Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 08:48:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685068
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 16 09 22  (Read 28366 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 28 08 18
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2018, 05:14:55 AM »
First rate paintjob overall, but the tent vignette stole my heart!
You are making a beautiful collection! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 28 08 18
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2018, 01:24:45 AM »
So I now have enough painted figures to make up two of the core forces for Sharp Practice - either the Continentals or the Southern Militia (as long as I squint my eyes a bit and see my Continental regulars as State line).  I need to work on a few pieces of terrain and then I have enough to get some of these units on the table and trading blows with the British.  More images on the blog, if you're interested http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2018/09/perry-miniatures-continentals-ready-for.html

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 27 09 18
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2018, 05:02:08 AM »
No need to squint - State Line troops were Continental troops.  Yes, some state troops were raised for state service but mostly they were raised to fill their states quota of Continental troops.  It does get a bit confusing but that's a pretty basic truth - as I understand it.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »
lovely painting and basing.

I take it you're using static grass - are you using one of those gizmos to get it to stand up like that?
if so, could you let me know which model?

I've got one, and I've never got the darned thing to work...

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2018, 04:26:07 AM »
No need to squint - State Line troops were Continental troops.  Yes, some state troops were raised for state service but mostly they were raised to fill their states quota of Continental troops.  It does get a bit confusing but that's a pretty basic truth - as I understand it.

Ah, okay, got it. A touch confusing at first, but that makes a lot of sense, thanks.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2018, 04:37:25 AM »
I take it you're using static grass - are you using one of those gizmos to get it to stand up like that?
if so, could you let me know which model?

Yes correct, it is indeed one of those gizmos. I've found them quite effective.

The one I'm using currently is my second one, both bought off eBay and both unbranded.  My first was very cheap and was a converted commercial fly killer - it still bore some of it's original branding (from a Chinese seller who was no doubt being very entrepreneurial). I had actually seen some tutorials online on how you can make your own using a tea strainer and the fly killer, so I wasn't totally surprised when this turned up. It seemed to work just fine for the work I needed it to do until I dropped it one day and it cracked the casing. I looked at going upmarket but couldn't see how to justify the expense of a branded model from a model railway company like Noch, especially when I could see how the bottom of the market model performed decently enough. In the end I settled for something a bit better than my first purchase but still very reasonably priced and this also does the job just fine and probably not much better than the cheap one, it just has a much sturdier construction.

There doesn't seem to be a particular knack.  I use Woodland Scenics' Scenic Glue but ensure I dilute it and spread it thinly. Other than that I just sprinkle the grass from the charged up gizmo. I wish I could give you some more specific and useful advice.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2018, 10:54:06 AM »
that's all good, thanks.

any chance you can link to the one you bought?

from what you say, my lack of success seems more likely to be user-error (although I have to wonder what scope there is for that really), but nonetheless getting hold of one which definitely works as intended might be an idea.
anyhow - sorry for diverting the thread somewhat.

Offline TaltosVT

• Bookworm
    • Lost in The Grants
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2018, 03:14:48 PM »
Those all turned out really excellent.  I love how the hunting shirts and basing come out.

"The gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it." ~Ethan Allen

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2018, 04:11:22 AM »
I had bought these Foundry figures to make up the two groups of British regulars I would require to complete the five groups of regulars for an early war core force for Sharp Practice. When I realised they have the longer 1768 warrant coats and so wouldn't match the Perry plastics I put them aside for a while. However it seems churlish to let 16 perfectly good miniatures go to waste and so I've finished them off and added to my options for building forces for Sharp Practice. The coats aside, the heads are a bit oversized and exaggerated, but I can live with that.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2018, 04:14:48 AM »
that's all good, thanks.

any chance you can link to the one you bought?

Sorry, just realised you had asked for a link, I went through my purchase history and found it, here it is:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GJ06-Mini-Flocking-Static-Grass-Applicator-SCENIC-MODELLING-NEW-/173100057492?hash=item284d914394

My first one was about half the price, I couldn't say this new one is twice as good, but it is better.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 15 10 18
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2018, 04:23:24 AM »
Great looking minis! I think your Foundry look terrific. Heads from the pics look fine ;)
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 15 10 18
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2018, 04:34:06 AM »
Thanks everyone. Just finished these Queens Rangers riflemen from Perry Miniatures. Up to their usual high standard of sculpting and lovely to paint.

Also working on some split rail fencing, it wouldn't be America without it!

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 22 10 18
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
Impressive painting and productivity.

Offline Utgaard

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2018, 01:01:18 PM »
Beautifully painted additions to your force!

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2018, 06:20:43 AM »
Very nice.  Can I ask - how are you structuring your Queen's Rangers force?  You may well know this already, but there is a common misconception that they were all riflemen because when Lefferts  researched his uniform book in the early 1900s, he confused them with a later unit of the same name raised in Canada in the 1790s (which was all rifle-armed).  A lot of uniformologists - and several figure manufacturers (including Alan Perry, although he knows now) - have followed his lead and also got it wrong.  Hence you need to use the light company figures (pack AW24) for the light company AND the 8 centre companies as well; the rest of the infantry was a grenadier company, and a highland company (effectively a second light company), and there was also a hussar troop, three light dragoon troops, and an artillery section with two small-calibre guns. 

The AWI version of the QRs DID have some riflemen later on, but only a squad (typically 12-16 men, under a sergeant - and they were mounted in the Southern campaign!), so your 12 guys are a 1:1 representation of the actual rifle component.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.