Forum > Weird Wars

Anyone Played/Thoughts on Achtung Cthulhu

(1/3) > >>

PhineusPhule:
As the title says anyone have experience with this?I've been looking for a good weird war type game to get into for a number of years. Started with Tannhauser, tried Dust board and table top games, and my favorite to date has been the Incursion board game. None of them have really scratched that itch of a weird war game that leans more supernatural rather than mad science. Played Spartan's Dystopian Legions so have experience with that and understand Achtung uses a modified version of that ruleset. Have looked at Konflikt '47 but again seems more mad science and not enough horror. Can't find any video play throughs online so was hoping someone could offer some insight.

Ballardian:

I've played a few games of AC Skirmish & think it's pretty decent - if you know the DL ruleset you'll understand the basic gist of the rules - it'll give you a slightly smaller than platoon sized game (just like DL). The ruleset is also available quite cheaply (the 'Commander's Set') - so not too bad if you were to decide you didn't like it.
 I would also put a word in for Secrets Of The Third Reich - while there's a greater emphasis on super-science, it's very flexible & certainly includes many monster units (zombies, were-wolves/bears, vampires, golems etc.) If you liked the Incursion universe it's worth a look.

Giger:
I have the AC rules but haven't given them a try yet but I can vouch for SOTR which is very enjoyable and can include a lot of horror based miniatures (my Germans have vampires, werewolves and the like and I'm looking to expand to some Lovecraft inspried minis from AC).

DeltaBlue:
For the setting of weird war/WW2 occult IMO Achtung Cthulhu is one of the best sources.
True I’ve only ran and played the RPG version with and without miniatures, I can’t speak to the skirmish game.

However, if you wanted skirmish games rules you easily convert to AC “ in her majesty’s name”,  is one  a set of VSF/Steampunk rules but are very simple and quick and the rules  have a horror supplement, and has rules for the creation of factions, powers and weapons.   
And “This Is Not A Test” which is a post-apoc/fallout, setting  but again good set of skirmish games rules and a lot of stuff from the equipment and mutations/psychic powers can be convert to horror

LeadAsbestos:
Try Dracula's America for rules. Probably the best system I've ever played. You'll need to do the.factions yourself obviously, but the.system is excellent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version