Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:04:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dr. Who Meets The Flintstones in 28mm/a 46 picture gallery  (Read 3517 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Dr. Who Meets The Flintstones in 28mm/a 46 picture gallery
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 10:30:13 PM »
This is all kinds of fun.  Very nice table. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 11:40:09 PM »
Brilliant work! I love your painting style, especially the use of vibrant colours - seems especially appropriate in a project like this. I might have missed it, but will you actually game with the stuff or is it for pictures only? Whichever it is, thanks so much for sharing!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »
Thanks again to those of you who have taken the time to write.  I really do appreciate it, and I'm very happy that you're enjoying my little Dr. Who adventure.
Mason, I hope you find those Flintstone buildings.  They really offer some fun options for use with 28mm figures.  All I did with mine was trade a few of the pieces of roof decor around between buildings, add a little Milliput so I could have more control of the look, and give them simple painting jobs.  I probably could have used them as they came and painted them up, but that was a little too much whimsy for me.
Arundel, I'm not a gamer.  I began painting figures and putting together collections more than 40 years ago.  At that time I thought I was going to game, but gaming never caught fire for me, but my love of the figures, terrain, and painting and putting collections together has probably grown over the years.  When I started, as the name "war in 15mm" indicates, I was solely into 15mm military/historical figures, but as time went on and 25mm/28mm offered all this wonderful Pulp, Adventure, Victorian stuff, I began dividing my time between the figure sizes... 15mm for military and 28mm for Pulp, Adventure, Victorian, etc.  If you look at my vanity website you will see that there are galleries of both scales.  Prior to doing this collection I finished and posted a large 15mm/18mm Boxer Rebellion layout.  And a couple months ago I finished this Dr. Who collection... a little slow in getting photographed and posted.  I'm currently finishing a 28mm Mountain Man collection inspired by The Revenant/Man In The Wilderness films.  Most of those figures are Foundry, but there is also some beautiful terrain from Dept. 56 that I have modified and repainted.  I'm a big fan of my local swap meet and you will find repurposed broken and discarded toys found at the swap meet throughout my collections.   I have more than 20 galleries posted on my website and each Sunday I post my Weekly Workbench showing what I have been doing on my projects that previous week.  Those Weekly Workbench posting are moved over to my Workbench Archive page at the end of each month, and a new Weekly Workbench month is started.  I've been doing the Weekly Workbench for more than a year now so there is a lot of stuff in the Archive section... the weekly progress on this Dr. Who project is all detailed there.  This is probably a lot more than you wanted to know, but I admit to being a little longwinded.  Thanks again for writing.  Richard
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 10:29:40 PM by War In 15MM »

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 08:27:54 PM »
Not long-winded at all, 15! Your take is very interesting. After posting I did have a vague recollection there was a chap here who was only into the modelling and collecting aspects of the hobby, and wondered if it might be you. And it is! Again, thank you for sharing your work with us. Your blog is deeply inspirational. In perusing it I find my self thinking, "Golly, wish I could paint like that!"   lol

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »
Arundel, thanks for the very generous comments.  Much appreciated.  I probably am your "vague recollection."  The postings on LAF have inspired me for years so it is always nice to hear that things I have done have inspired the work of others.  One of the things I try to do when I post a gallery on my website is provide a pretty detailed account of the things (figures, terrain pieces both those sold by manufacturers for gaming and those I repurpose from toys found at the swap meet, and vehicles) I have used in each of my collection.  I do this in the hope that my write-ups will help guide others to an item they are looking for... just another effort to pay back for all the help I have received.  It's been a great hobby for me for more than 40 years now, and I'm hoping to hold out for a new more years... still have a lot of figures to paint.  Thanks again.  Richard

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 12:25:14 AM »
Great looking project. It certainly made me smile  :-* :-*
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 04:07:00 PM »
absolutely delightful. Just brilliant.

really like the presentation on the web-page too, in terms of the text to the right in short ragged lines.

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »
The Doctor, Daleks and Dinosaurs: whats not to love? I have a box of dinos in the attic i plan to use someday for the exact same purpose. Yabba dabba DooOo! :)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 02:01:50 AM »
Richard, I don't normally come to Future Wars but I saw this gallery on your personal site on my phone and had to come here for a better look.  Love the Triceratrain!  I have cavemen but I'm keeping it in the Stone Age so Mega Fauna, yes, dinosaurs, no.  As said, fun! 

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 09:27:59 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write, and for the generous comments.

FifteensAway, you can't go too wrong with the Stone Age and big plants.  The Dino Tour tram is, perhaps, the 4th time I've used one of these modified Disney parking lot trams in one of my galleries.  I really like them.  I still have one left for a future collection (not sure what).  Unfortunately, they are currently out of production.  In putting this collection together, I had to include the dinosaurs; simply couldn't resist them, so Dr. Who was the perfect tool for allowing me to bring together all the stuff I wanted to gather together in one collection.

After about 9 years, I decided to change my avatar.  I liked the one I had, but others use it too, and that causes my old mind some confusion, so I'm going with a picture my daughter created which seem particularly appropriate given the fact that she is the photographer for all my galleries.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2019, 04:19:16 AM »
I like the new avatar!  And it seems that talented young fruit of the loins might be an animated illustrator of some sort for I believe I've seen that avatar's cousins on the screen a time or three.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 03:14:33 PM »
Excellent new avatar!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »
Thanks to both of you for the nice comments about my new avatar.  Fortunately for me character design is not only what my daughter does professionally but it is also something she enjoys doing for herself, and I found this guy among that non-professional work and thought it captured the spirit of me.

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 08:40:09 AM »
That is an amazing collection, thank you for sharing!!!  :o

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2019, 07:15:05 PM »
Smoke Frog, thanks for writing and the generous comment... much appreciated.  Richard