Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689748
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Epic 40k Newbie  (Read 838 times)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
Epic 40k Newbie
« on: February 08, 2022, 03:42:14 PM »
Good afternoon everyone,
So I recntly got myself a 3d printer and my goodness what a rocky road this is, some fails and some success with none that seem to make sense.....

Anyway, because of the printe, I am getting into epic 40k, currently printing armies to the best of my abilities.

One thing I am wondering however is, for battlefield set up, is there anything that I should avoid or anything that is a must?
With it being a completely different scale I am a bit nervous to make terrain until I know what I am doing.
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Epic 40k Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 03:53:09 PM »
Obviously standard hills are usable. You might need some in scale patches of rough terrain and woods or rubble too.

Buildings are interesting, since all GW battle reports were played on pristine golf courses with some hills and a couple of gothic skyscrapers apparently lost on the green expanse. Check out YPU's 6mm building project; it tackles exactly that odd situation.

Some roads might also be interesting, as they can help moving troops around more quickly.

Oh, and I'd avoid the green fantasy fields of yesteryear; those have always clashed with the aesthetic of 40K/Epic. A desert or wasteland would be that much more appropriate...

And please show us your armies; I'm sure we all want to see 'em... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 05:38:45 PM »
On a practical note, buildings with flat roofs and ruins with flattish interiors are quite helpful for placing stands of figures.

On an aesthetic note, choose any palette that is pleasing to you.  The fans of the green fields of yore yet walk among us.  They set off the brightly coloured armies of yore very nicely.  There was a time before endless grim darky darkness took over the marketing, and it was a good time.

Photos, yes please do!
: 3

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 05:49:16 PM »
Struggling to find photos of some of our Epic games - perhaps because its not that suited to playing over Zoom!

But generally any terrain that you think works in Sci Fi works. We often have lots of buildings on a table, of different sorts. Getting some big buildings in can be good for blocking line of sight for Titans.

Hills, woods, fields etc all work. Then you have have more Sci Fi elements too. We use 10mm or even 28mm terrain at times.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 06:19:28 PM »
Very nice info guys, cheers.

I shall try get some good photos, have had some great prints for the epic armies. Imperial, space marine and tyranids at the moment.

Will get some of the foam board out to try make some ruins as a first scenic project :D

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »
And since you got yourself a 3d printer search for epic or battletech  ruins etc. on cults & thingyverse. There are some good ( & free) models around. Ypu's thread is a very good suggestion.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 02:53:59 AM »
Which edition of the rules are you using? I favor the 2nd edition with its cards and square bases. Look forward to seeing your armies.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 03:31:12 AM by warlord frod »

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 05:53:50 PM »
Which edition of the rules are you using? I favor the 2nd edition with its cards and square bases. Look forward to seeing your armies.

So my friend has downloaded the rules from NetEpic, so Im actually slightly unsure which ruleset that is, but talking to him soon so shall ask haha.

The armies are coming on well so shall get some photos and try to post here as I struggle with adding images here.

Epic Armageddon version...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 06:06:00 PM by matthais-mouse »