Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:57:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Silent Death - A few painted ships  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Gimgamgoo

• Student
    • Gimgamgoo's Painting Blog
Silent Death - A few painted ships
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »
I've recently bought off eBay a full box set of Silent Death The Next Millenium. I've been playing different mini games for decades now, but somehow this one passed me by. I love it.
Anyway, my wife and I decided to link it in with our games of 'Beyond the Gates of Antares'. We can play a space related battle, using the Silent Death models/rules, then slug it out on the planet using our Gates of Antares models/rules.

So, I've been painting a few ships this Easter holiday. Although I only have an (really) old camera and a couple of table lights, so apologies for the poor photos, and the thing I notice the most, the poor colour representation - I sooooo need a better set up.

I linked the different SD ships to the different Antares factions - trying to balance them a little too, and painted them up to match our Antares paint jobs.

Firstly are the Algoryn ships...

Conestoga

Conestoga and 2 Teal Hawks

2 Teal Hawks

3 Pit Vipers

3 Blizzards

The Whole Algoryn Force (so far)

These are the Ghar.

Drakkar

2 Night Hawks

Drakkar and 2 Night Hawks

2 Kosmos Ships

4 Spirit Riders

The Whole Ghar Force (so far)

These are the Concord.

Predator

2 Salamanders

2 Hell Benders

3 Thunder Birds

The Whole Concord Force (so far)

These are the Isorian.
The Star Raven needs some decals I'm still waiting for to spruce up those long front sections.

Star Raven

2 Lance Electra

Talon (1 of the 2 painted so far)

4 Darts

The Whole Isorian Force (so far)

Also below are some of the Asteroids I've been painting. The first batch were cast from a white plaster for X-Wing by CombatZone Scenery. Although they've painted up nicely, they are very heavy.

The second, less impressive batch, I made from some 2 different sizes of polystyrene craft balls, sprayed with Black car paint (to purposefully melt them). I had made some in the past from chunks of polystyrene but I based these onto some X-Wing templates. These ones turned out less well as the 'hexes' of polystyrene the balls were made of were really large and still visibile. The advantage, they weight virtually nothing.

Finally, I decided to make a 'Black Hole'. I used a gloss black paint, then a couple of layers of the two tone metallic paints from Green Stuff world. As you turn it, the purple shines to blue, but overall, it has a black look. It'll make some interesting games - the rules look great to play with.

I forgot to add, that the job that seemed to take longest, was getting all the torpedoes superglued onto smaller flying bases. They're way easier now for an old sausage fingered fella like me to pick up. Multiple torpedoes also fit nicely with a ship in a 1.5 inch hex too.

`

I've got a few more to post, which I'll do when I sort out all the links.

Gimgamgoo
Painting Blog: https://gimgamgoo.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Silent Death - A few painted ships
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 11:13:52 AM »
Very cool. I've used many of the same ships for space combat (homegrown rules) in our generic scifi RPG campaign, and they work really well. I only got the fighters (the same ones sold by EM4 as well) in an expansion box, so I never got the larger ships. Too bad, as I really like the (Elite! inducing) wedge shaped red ship...

Your use of unifying colours to tie them in with your ground forces is nice too. It reminds me of the link between Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander, where the outcome of a space battle can also infuence surface battles (when in a campaign) :)

The torpedoes are also ace; they're usually just represented by card tokens.

Keep them coming! 8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »
Very nicely done. I have a whole bunch of these ships laying about that need painting. I believe I also have all of the rulebooks and supplements. I used to really enjoy playing this game but alas no time or opponents.

Thanks for sharing.
Regards
 8)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:57:27 PM by Hitman »
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 12:55:26 PM »
Looking good  :)

Silent Death used to be a club favourite years and years ago (when I were a lad) until we moved into Full Thrust.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Gimgamgoo

• Student
    • Gimgamgoo's Painting Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »
Thanks for the comments.
Silent Death is a game I'd never come across in the UK, but then I lived too far from any gaming shops back then to have seen anything new, other than the stuff my mates played.
Anyway, these were taken yesterday with a new camera I'd treated myself to. The first time I've owned anything other than a point and press. The lighting needs sorting, but the photo's come out with focus on rear and front of the mini.

The only problem with getting a new shiney camera, is that it takes pictures that really do show up the fact that I'm an old half-blind sausage-fingered shakey-handed painter. The advantage of bad eyesight though is that the minis look fine on the table top.

Here's the Silent Death Sunrunners I've been working on. All looking like they've had a few battles too many. If I ever get my Antares models all finished, these can count as the Boromites in that distinct yellow colour. I'm not getting any more Antares stuff till my first 4 armies are all painted. If I've read my ebay second hand supplement purchases correctly, the Sunrunners are fighting for their own homeworld and hiring themselves out as mercenaries. I figured they'd look beaten up a bit.

Single Thunder Bird front and back first of all...

Then the 2 I've done together.

The force so far (I have a Catastrophe, 2 Havoks and 2 Avengers coming from the SD webstore to add to these soon - I just wish they were UK based)

And these are the type of things I'm using for satellites in Silent Death. They're the smaller parts of the Dropfleet Commander modular space station. They're really for a much different scale, but as satellites, I prefer them to the single SD model.
On the Left, an Atlatl (missile launcher on it) and on the right, a Taurus with torp launcher and a meld laser. Sunrunner flying between them for scale.

On the paint table next are a few additions for my Algoryn force. Back to painting red :-)
Then I really should get back to painting my ground based Gates of Antares stuff.

Offline BlackWidowPilot

• Scientist
  • "Mwahahahahaahaaaaaa!!!"
    • "It's Them! Blast 'Em!"
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 05:59:46 AM »
Very cool. I've used many of the same ships for space combat (homegrown rules) in our generic scifi RPG campaign, and they work really well. I only got the fighters (the same ones sold by EM4 as well) in an expansion box, so I never got the larger ships. Too bad, as I really like the (Elite! inducing) wedge shaped red ship...

Your use of unifying colours to tie them in with your ground forces is nice too. It reminds me of the link between Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander, where the outcome of a space battle can also infuence surface battles (when in a campaign) :)

The torpedoes are also ace; they're usually just represented by card tokens.

Keep them coming! 8)

Reports of our demise are greatly exaggerated, actually: www.silent-death.mx

Watch our space. We have sales. Takes the sting out of international postage, oh, and the metal minis ordered from us come over from Canada direct from our caster. 8)
Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
www.silent-death.mx

\\\\\\\"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!\\\\\\\" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Offline BlackWidowPilot

• Scientist
  • "Mwahahahahaahaaaaaa!!!"
    • "It's Them! Blast 'Em!"
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 06:00:51 AM »
Looking good  :)

Silent Death used to be a club favourite years and years ago (when I were a lad) until we moved into Full Thrust.

Come back to us... you know you want to...  lol

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 07:08:16 AM »
nice ships indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »
They are absolutely stunning!

Beautiful brushwork on the small ships and the colours match the GoA colour schemes perfectly.

Consider me subscribed.
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 12:50:46 AM »
I'm not sure of which I'm more jealous: your prodigious painting, or your spouse who enjoys pushing figs on the table with you!  :o

And, though it pains Leland slightly, the ships ARE usable in so many ways. Some were even 'official' for 'early years' Star Fleet Battles.

Me, I like throwing warhounds into some FT games as 'mysterious aliens...'

(Well, at least I'm not filling the air with gestured DOUBLE quote marks)

Doug

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 09:57:03 PM »
@gimgamgoo - I know this is years old, but Silent Death models are on deck as I've just inherited a copy of the game. Your ships look incredible and after looking over the models, they seem like something I can address in the near future. Though I seriously doubt they'll look as sharp as yours!

I understand you've painted them in colors for another game, but was there any thought given to points spread or 'balance' in the forces? Flipping through the rulebook, it appears there are some fluff factions, but I don't see any lists of what factions using which colors. So, I'm curious on the approach on painting fleets in colors that can give a good game against one another.

Also, where'd you get the space mat with hexes and the bases for the torpedos?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 10:07:01 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 06:15:43 AM »
I bought this game when it first came out at Origins. I think I also bought every supplement as well and another box set of the initial set of ships. I loved this game but alas no one to play it with and thus it sits unloved in my cupboard. Your works of art look amazing.too bad I missed this post when it came out. Happy Gaming!!
Regards,
Hitman
😎

Offline Greylegion

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 11:14:27 AM »
Very nicely done.