Forum > Workbench

Scratch building a Crossley IGL3?

(1/5) > >>

Hammers:
Let's say I wanted to scratch build a Crossley IGL (Indian Government Lorry) 3 for 28mm wargaming...

..and perhaps even a kegressed one...

How should I go about it?

I have considered getting the Airfix 1/48 Albion truck as plastic is easy to work with...

The flatbed and 4 wheel bogie aside, it looks like it could be converted to look like an IGL with changes to the hood and driver cabin canopy.

Is there a better way to go about ? Could it be done in with 3D printing or would that be prohibitively expensive to commission and print as I onbly need 2-3?

What of making it from scratch in polystyrene?

Constable Bertrand:
Buy two kits, for a rear set of wheels and extra chassis length.

I'm sure fine plasticard scratchers could do it easy, but the fiddly details and wheels always bug me. At least if you have 2 kits there's plenty of material to work with.

Cheers
Matt

Johnnytodd:
Build it from scratch and make it excellent - then you may find a buyer of your master who will cast multiples.  First find a measured drawing.  I would use plasticard for straight, flat surfaces and green stuff for fussy small parts, curves and wheels.  Think of the frame as a flat platform then build it as a series of "boxes" ie: engine compartment, cab, bed, etc.

John

Hammers:

--- Quote from: Johnnytodd on April 12, 2018, 12:49:05 PM ---Build it from scratch and make it excellent - then you may find a buyer of your master who will cast multiples.  First find a measured drawing.  I would use plasticard for straight, flat surfaces and green stuff for fussy small parts, curves and wheels.  Think of the frame as a flat platform then build it as a series of "boxes" ie: engine compartment, cab, bed, etc.

John

--- End quote ---

Do you know of any good sources for blueprints for a truck like this?

tin shed gamer:
I was being to think this project had disappeared into the ether.

What will ask is. Just what level of detail do you want. Are you building to Scale modelling standards,or To be Gaming pieces?
Because you've enough information in the top two pictures.To build a gaming model.
There's absolutely no need to detail a chassis or drive system.(If you can't. See it in a photo then you don't need to make it.(especially as most gaming models are viewed virtually from above , through out a game.).

Do you have any vehicle models in your collection ( built or still in a kit) with similar wheels?

As its the only part that's tricky regardless of skill level.But of course there's a short cut if you can find a single wheel.

Mark.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version