Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scratch building a Crossley IGL3?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Scratch building a Crossley IGL3?
« on: April 12, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »
Let's say I wanted to scratch build a Crossley IGL (Indian Government Lorry) 3 for 28mm wargaming...

..and perhaps even a kegressed one...

How should I go about it?

I have considered getting the Airfix 1/48 Albion truck as plastic is easy to work with...

The flatbed and 4 wheel bogie aside, it looks like it could be converted to look like an IGL with changes to the hood and driver cabin canopy.

Is there a better way to go about ? Could it be done in with 3D printing or would that be prohibitively expensive to commission and print as I onbly need 2-3?

What of making it from scratch in polystyrene?

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Re: Scratch building a Crossley IGL3?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:34:21 AM »
Buy two kits, for a rear set of wheels and extra chassis length.

I'm sure fine plasticard scratchers could do it easy, but the fiddly details and wheels always bug me. At least if you have 2 kits there's plenty of material to work with.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »
Build it from scratch and make it excellent - then you may find a buyer of your master who will cast multiples.  First find a measured drawing.  I would use plasticard for straight, flat surfaces and green stuff for fussy small parts, curves and wheels.  Think of the frame as a flat platform then build it as a series of "boxes" ie: engine compartment, cab, bed, etc.

John
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:51:27 AM by Johnnytodd »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »
Build it from scratch and make it excellent - then you may find a buyer of your master who will cast multiples.  First find a measured drawing.  I would use plasticard for straight, flat surfaces and green stuff for fussy small parts, curves and wheels.  Think of the frame as a flat platform then build it as a series of "boxes" ie: engine compartment, cab, bed, etc.

John

Do you know of any good sources for blueprints for a truck like this?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 01:07:59 PM »
I was being to think this project had disappeared into the ether.

What will ask is. Just what level of detail do you want. Are you building to Scale modelling standards,or To be Gaming pieces?
Because you've enough information in the top two pictures.To build a gaming model.
There's absolutely no need to detail a chassis or drive system.(If you can't. See it in a photo then you don't need to make it.(especially as most gaming models are viewed virtually from above , through out a game.).

Do you have any vehicle models in your collection ( built or still in a kit) with similar wheels?

As its the only part that's tricky regardless of skill level.But of course there's a short cut if you can find a single wheel.

Mark.

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
Hammers,  I did a bit of searching but found no blueprints or measured drawings, though I agree with Mark that you could get pretty close working from the above photographs.  And yes, making wheels from scratch is difficult

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 07:05:10 AM »
I was being to think this project had disappeared into the ether.

What will ask is. Just what level of detail do you want. Are you building to Scale modelling standards,or To be Gaming pieces?
Because you've enough information in the top two pictures.To build a gaming model.
There's absolutely no need to detail a chassis or drive system.(If you can't. See it in a photo then you don't need to make it.(especially as most gaming models are viewed virtually from above , through out a game.).

Do you have any vehicle models in your collection ( built or still in a kit) with similar wheels?

As its the only part that's tricky regardless of skill level.But of course there's a short cut if you can find a single wheel.

Mark.

Aint I the utter fool... I had completely forgotten that I had already started a thread on this theme.  ::)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 08:29:24 AM »
Not at all,

I just thought you intended to reboot the project with a new thread and hopefully some new ideas.

Speaking of which, You could try Pm to Rich H. He's has a Cad system,and if I remember rightly he's already made suitable wheels for lorries of this size , So its likely he's still got the files to cut some more.

Mark.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »
Not at all,

I just thought you intended to reboot the project with a new thread and hopefully some new ideas.

Speaking of which, You could try Pm to Rich H. He's has a Cad system,and if I remember rightly he's already made suitable wheels for lorries of this size , So its likely he's still got the files to cut some more.

Mark.

Thanks, good idea. I've seen articles on how to make scale tyres. It seems like a rather fiddly process if you want it nice and symmetric.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »
Well, I took the plunge and bought me three kits of the Airfix 1/48 Albion  AM463 ofr the purpose of conversion to two 6 wheel Indian Army lorries. Unpacking them I find that are indeed enough components similar enough to the IGL which should make it feasible. I am a bit in two minds about keeping it a Albion (there are some indications that they were used in the Far East), mostly because the cool bonnet. I can't find much material on it, thought, but plenty enough of the Crossley IGL, like this convoy from 1937:

Beside the longer chassis, the flat bed and rear bogie (which should be simple enough to do) , the bonnet is the part which requires most conversion, it should be longer, not as angular and have another type of radiator protection. I may make an attempt at scratch building and casting some rough terrain tyres (there are no double sets from what I can find) but may stick with what's provided in the kit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:26:50 AM by Hammers »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »
The drivers compartment is indeed so alike between the Crossley and the Albion that I ask myself if it was designed by central specification to be produced the across various manufacturers... Does anyone know?

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 08:33:55 AM »
I built this 1/56th scale Chatillon- Panhard truck for Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy issue 77 and with the exception of the wheels (Thomas the Tank Engine Toy) the rest was scratch-built.

Tony
https://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/wargames-soldiers-strategy-issue-77.html

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 08:46:24 AM »
Impressive. What scale is it?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 10:43:28 AM »
Looking at these Crossley IGL from 1933 there really is not much I need to do about the bonnet.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
It would be nice to have a staff car to. Does anyone know which make this is ...?