Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: STAR BREACH: The Multiverse Sci-Fi Skirmisher (CoOp/Solo Expansion! Pg15)  (Read 45087 times)

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Re: STARFALL renamed/relocated to STAR BREACH: same great game!
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2018, 02:04:43 PM »
One of the more annoying bits of the mandatory name change was having to rename our YouTube Channel, scratch all of our old promo/how-to vids, and eventually redo them. But I finally got the channel settled, and I’m excited to bring new content to the table(top).

Here’s the new “trailer” video for Star Breach! Enjoy! Share! Like! Subscribe! Play Star Breach! It’s free!
https://youtu.be/Ozaz0RUi_eg

Starbreach.com
Creator of Star Breach and NCO Tabletop Games: starbreach.com

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2018, 12:18:57 AM »
Played a few games of Star Breach over the weekend, blog entries to come, but a couple of points I wanted to raise.

How many of the available psychic powers does my Psyker get? Couldn't find that anywhere.

Not that it matters too much, as I soon discovered that the only one worth using was the "Freeze" Plasmid. My Ancient Machine Seer took the Psychic Prowess 1 Alpha Skill, which meant a 4+ roll on 2D6 was all that was needed to knock out my opponent's Alpha for an entire turn, rendering them useless.

I've played Bioshock, so I was wondering if the Plasmids were more the "thrown object" style from that game, but the rules seemed to imply that cover would provide no benefit.

If I'm not playing the game properly, that would make some sense, but from my reading, if I take Psykers and give them the Psychic Prowess skills, I can lock out my opponent's best units and win pretty easily.

Thoughts?

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2018, 02:33:41 AM »
Played a few games of Star Breach over the weekend, blog entries to come, but a couple of points I wanted to raise.

How many of the available psychic powers does my Psyker get? Couldn't find that anywhere.

Not that it matters too much, as I soon discovered that the only one worth using was the "Freeze" Plasmid. My Ancient Machine Seer took the Psychic Prowess 1 Alpha Skill, which meant a 4+ roll on 2D6 was all that was needed to knock out my opponent's Alpha for an entire turn, rendering them useless.

I've played Bioshock, so I was wondering if the Plasmids were more the "thrown object" style from that game, but the rules seemed to imply that cover would provide no benefit.

If I'm not playing the game properly, that would make some sense, but from my reading, if I take Psykers and give them the Psychic Prowess skills, I can lock out my opponent's best units and win pretty easily.

Thoughts?

Hey Hat Guy!

First and foremost, thanks for playing Star Breach! Very happy to hear you’re giving it a go.

Fantastic feedback! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. For most psychics, they can use any and all abilities that are granted to them by their school. There are some exceptions, and those are specifically noted when present. It’s funny you caught and mention “Freeze” within your first games. That is an ability one of our longtime play testers just mentioned this week as well! Haha. It is probably too OP at the moment, yes. I may be nerfing it a bit so that it has a range of attack (thinking 18” to negate alpha strike silliness), and so that it brings the target’s movement and initiative down to 2. The effect will still remain for only a turn long. Try that in your next games and let me know how it goes! And yes, psychic abilities all around are not impacted by cover (one of their advantages since only one or two psychics are on the table per team, per game).

Since you’re playing Ancient Machine, there is a weapon that will also need to be updated: Searing Razors. Searing Razors should read range 6”, attack rolls per target 3, no wound mods, +3I in close combat. At the moment, it’s broken because it doesn’t list a range but says “melee” instead. It’s the only weapon we missed in the latest errata (40+ page anthology, with one editor and a few play testers, I count that as a win. Haha).

Very excited to read your review! And I do hope you play many more games and continue to share your adventures and thoughts! As a free and community focused ruleset, we’re always looking (and freely able) to tweak our beloved game until it’s just right! :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:41:18 AM by Burma44 »

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Re: STAR BREACH: The FREE Multiverse Sci-Fi Tabletop Skirmish Game
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »
Just uploaded a helpful introductory video all about Star Breach on our YouTube channel! Highly recommend this clip for those who are new to the ruleset, and it’s a great visual guide to help friends better understand the gist of the game. Enjoy! Share! Subscribe! Play Star Breach!

https://youtu.be/FfkNHUoaqLI

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »
Lots of fantastic, sci-fi skirmish games getting released lately. Awesome! But there is only one sci-if game that has rules to support every sci-fi warband imaginable, allows you to use any models, and is completely free to use for both tournament and Campaign play: Star Breach! Imagining Chaos Horrors vs. Aleph? Rogue Traders vs. Adeptus Mech? Gene Stealers vs. Strontium Dog? Yes to all, and so much more! Any sci-if skirmish is already imaginable and playable for completely free at starbreach.com.

Mod Edit: please do not use copyrighted material to promote your own product.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:15:02 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2018, 02:17:39 PM »
Hey all! Hope you’ve all been able to recently enjoy Star Breach! Welcome new players who are just checking us out now at starbreach.com! Four super-fun announcements:

1) A very VERY small errata is necessary for the Warbands Anthology supplement (it’s for a weapon that is unusable in its current state). I will upload the small fix on Sunday. HIT ME UP NOW IF YOU CATCH ANYTHING ELSE. Also, the Psychic Schools supplement will be getting it’s first ever errata on Sunday as well, with lots of tiny balance tweaks. Those *should* be the last fixes for a long while.

2) I will be making a new video for game play mechanics (to replace the old ones from “Starfall” days) to help give visuals for new players. I’ve been super busy lately, but I hope to have the video up in the next few weeks!

3) If you have a TT gaming blog/vlog—or know a friend who does: I’ve got a very modest cash gift for those players who are willing to review Star Breach and feature it on their site before the end of the year! It is a free game, supported by an indie community, so don’t imagine too large a stack of cash. Haha. Hit me up for details!

4) I’ll be soon looking for a new, indie model company to do Star Breach Prize Packs for our Fall 2018 season organized play! James Sheriff with Brass Monkey was a fantastic first season supporter! We’ll have him back for future seasons, for sure! But yes, if you/a friend are interested in being our Fall artist hit me up ASAP!

That’s all for now! Have fun! Breach Stars! Play/Support free, indie TT games!

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
Been back in full swing at the painting table! Just finished a batch of Mantic Rebs models that I will use in Star Breach for a number of different warbands: Nomadic Raiders, The Resistance, Intergalactic Marshals, Continuum Syndicate, et al. Fantastic models for adding alien flavor to any generic space soldier group.

I have now moved on to a grip of GW Nids, which I will be using as Hive/Hive Cult models in Star Breach. Uniform in color and feel, like any good spacebug horde, but lots of fun weapon variations for different builds.

Enjoy the pics! Play Star Breach! Starbreach.com

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2018, 05:00:19 AM »
Bravo sir, you've given me some direction for my RT miniatures that have been collecting dust for too long! I'll be having a play around with the rules soon, they seem perfect for the kind of narrative driven scenario play I enjoy so much - the only problem is, you've now sorely tempted me to start tracking down Dr Who models for a Dr Who/40k crossover campaign!  :o

Keep up the good work, good sir, and I'll report back when I manage to get a game in :D

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2018, 04:05:12 PM »
Bravo sir, you've given me some direction for my RT miniatures that have been collecting dust for too long! I'll be having a play around with the rules soon, they seem perfect for the kind of narrative driven scenario play I enjoy so much - the only problem is, you've now sorely tempted me to start tracking down Dr Who models for a Dr Who/40k crossover campaign!  :o

Keep up the good work, good sir, and I'll report back when I manage to get a game in :D

Fantastic! Glad to here Star Breach has gotten you excited to play and given new life to old models! I really do think you’re gonna love what you find, TJ! Eagerly awaiting your report. Thanks for checking out Star Breach and do be sure to spread the word! :)

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »
***Model Sculptors Opportunity***

Star Breach is growing fast (FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/198523234074229/) and now has organized seasons of play for tournaments and campaigns. These in turn proudly support independent sculptors and model companies from all over the world.

We’re now looking for a new sculptor/model company who is interested in putting together a “Star Breach Prize Pack” for Fall 2018 (Sept-November). The prize pack can be old models you’ve already created and casted, or new ones of your own creation! As long as your models are 28-32mm and sci-fi, we’re game!

Here's the list of perks for our sculptors (there are no "downsides", so I don't have a list of those ):
-Star Breach organized play groups order through and pay you directly for a 3-6 model prize pack to support their campaigns and tournaments. They buy from you directly, and I take zero cut! (usually our sculptors charge about $20-$30 per prize pack, depending on what they are offering).
-Free web-flyer that features the models in your prize pack.
-Free promotion of your company and sculpts on our website, FB group, and YouTube channel!
-Opportunity to sell and move your sci-if model backline with new customers, while also potentially sculpting a Star Breach inspired model(s)!

If your an indie model sculptor or company and this opportunity interests you, contact me ASAP at elijahkellogg @ gmail . com. Thanks!

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Fun Batrep for a match between L’Orani Empire and Coven Empire! Super fun scenario as well. Check out the clip below, subscribe, share, and play lots of Star Breach! (It’s free! It’s fun! It’s forever!)

https://youtu.be/mpOyJegd2t8

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Hi Burma44, Haven't downloaded the rules I just watched the new introductory video, and wanted to get a couple of things straight. So the Order Dice Phase is NOT just the order which the characters are activated as I wrongly first assumed (ie which would be first die out the bag out is 4 and goes fourth, second die out is 1 and so goes first , etc) , and it is NOT random-you actually decide what action that character (and which character) will do and enact it there and then.
So if two opposing characters are directed to fire on each other , (or even 4 players on one team fire at one on the other) the EFFECT is that all combat firing is actually simultaneous, even though it's all done sequentially?
Did I get that right?
The one thing that I don't get is why there have to be 20 factions, if it is totally free and open why cannot I make up my own? Is there a system to generate characteristics/abilities? How does the game limit abilities to stop creation of invincible teams?     
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:22:22 PM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Ah I have just downloaded everything and so it explains most of my questions.  I like it that a targeted figure can take counter actions like dropping and dodging, he doesn't have to stand and be hit.
I did dislike the idea of ready made "factions" but I see they are very generic indeed, and they have a points cost with plenty of options for variation, so please ignore the last part of my last post!

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
The one thing that I don't get is why there have to be 20 factions, if it is totally free and open why cannot I make up my own? Is there a system to generate characteristics/abilities? How does the game limit abilities to stop creation of invincible teams?     

It looks to me that the factions are there to address your question about creating unbalanced teams.

I would like to know the secret sauce that went into building the lists so they each have distinct play-styles but are relatively balanced among themselves. I bet it was a difficult though rewarding experience.

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Ah I have just downloaded everything and so it explains most of my questions.  I like it that a targeted figure can take counter actions like dropping and dodging, he doesn't have to stand and be hit.
I did dislike the idea of ready made "factions" but I see they are very generic indeed, and they have a points cost with plenty of options for variation, so please ignore the last part of my last post!

Thanks for your interest in Star Breach and downloading the ruleset! Happy to hear the rules and supplements answered your previous questions, but do know that I'm here to answer any questions that may be remaining. Happy to help!

Yeah, the factions are not really ready-made as much as they are just good directors into building on your favorite sci-fi motif. Lots of options all around and I'm glad you found it to your liking. Would love to see more from you: your first warbands, games, impressions... share it all! Thanks again!