Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:58:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686617
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: STAR BREACH: The Multiverse Sci-Fi Skirmisher (CoOp/Solo Expansion! Pg15)  (Read 45118 times)

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Re: STAR BREACH: The FREE Multiverse Sci-Fi Skirmisher (v2.0 OUT NOW!!!)
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
Looks neat!

Lets say a person wanted to run some Daleks vs. Predators... which warband/faction would Daleks fall under?

A. Thanks for checking out Star Breach!
B. Dalek models probably best fall under the Ancient Machine warband, but you could potentially make Hunters or Contiuum Syndicate work. Predators are obviously Hunters, but the models could work with Corrupted L’Orani or Hive Cult as well.
C. If you make that game happen, I need pictures.
Creator of Star Breach and NCO Tabletop Games: starbreach.com

Offline casual tea

• Bookworm
    • instagram.com/dlyanf
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2018, 11:48:11 PM »
So yeah! That’s why! Haha. :) Hope you give the game a go and let me know what you think! Cheers!

Ha, wow thanks, that is quite the comprehensive response. I asked the same question of Sean Sutter of Relicblade and Ash Barker of GMG at Adepticon. I always am interested to hear game creators motivations. They are often surprisingly varied. I look forward to reading through these rules and giving them a try!

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2018, 01:42:49 PM »
Ha, wow thanks, that is quite the comprehensive response. I asked the same question of Sean Sutter of Relicblade and Ash Barker of GMG at Adepticon. I always am interested to hear game creators motivations. They are often surprisingly varied. I look forward to reading through these rules and giving them a try!

Well, it’s a fantastic question. I wish I was able to get out to conventions and plug the game more (I used to do a lot of demoing for Frostgrave when it first came out all over the WestCoast). Now I live in Southeast Asia and it’s tough enough to find a couple of guys willing to sit down and tabletop at all! Haha. I look forward to hearing what you think about the ruleset and game! Cheers!

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2018, 02:56:40 PM »
Since the Star Breach ruleset launched in January, we have seen literally thousands of unique visits to the website and downloads of the game and supplement. Feeling really honored and humbled by such a fun year of sharing my project with the world and watching players fall in love with the system!

As for me, even as it’s creator, Star Breach has completely reinvigorated my love for the tabletop gaming hobby: modeling, painting, playing, the whole package! I decided to celebrate a great first year for the game by compiling a big ‘ol gallery of pictures from all the Star Breach projects I finished this year. You can check out that gallery here: https://www.starbreach.com/forum/modeling-and-painting/elijah-s-star-breach-projects-2018-wrap-up

Bellow is just a small taste of what you’d find at the link. As for here at the LAF, I just wanted to say, “Thank You! Cheers! Huzzah!” to all the hobbyists out there who have loved on Star Breach and given it a fair go. Your support has been invaluable and I appreciate you all. Here’s to a wonderful new year of Star Breach in 2019! Don’t sleep on it. It may be your new favorite ruleset for sci-fi skirmishes, and we’ve got a lot more fun to come!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  :)

Offline jherazob

• Assistant
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2018, 03:28:57 PM »
That's quite nice! I'm also happy to see The Terminators in there, i got the Genisys Starter and haven't done anything with it because no one in my area plays it, they were one of the reasons i got interested in this game in the first place (also can you do anything with the Endo Crawlers? they make sense on the original but not sure if here). The same should be said of a couple of out of print things i have around somewhere, the fact that their original game is defunct doesn't matter now (i'll finally be able to play with the Starship Troopers wargaming miniatures!), not to mention the possibility of getting stuff that wasn't ever in a wargame and using it on one (no idea what right now but it'll happen, i just know it lol ).

Now i gotta learn this game (from what i've seen it shouldn't take long), and then entice a few people into playing it too. I imagine after the holidays i'll get into this. Happy Festivus or whatever you celebrate!

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »
That's quite nice! I'm also happy to see The Terminators in there, i got the Genisys Starter and haven't done anything with it because no one in my area plays it, they were one of the reasons i got interested in this game in the first place (also can you do anything with the Endo Crawlers? they make sense on the original but not sure if here). The same should be said of a couple of out of print things i have around somewhere, the fact that their original game is defunct doesn't matter now (i'll finally be able to play with the Starship Troopers wargaming miniatures!), not to mention the possibility of getting stuff that wasn't ever in a wargame and using it on one (no idea what right now but it'll happen, i just know it lol ).

Now i gotta learn this game (from what i've seen it shouldn't take long), and then entice a few people into playing it too. I imagine after the holidays i'll get into this. Happy Festivus or whatever you celebrate!

Thanks for the kind words, jherazob! All of those minis have wonderful homes in Star Breach, no doubt! You can even use the endo crawler models in interesting ways, such as a “razorbot swarm” in the Ancient Machine warband. The Genesys Resistance fighters work perfectly for a couple of Star Breach warbands as well. Definitely get into it! Would love to see what you come up with here!

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Re: STAR BREACH: The FREE Multiverse Sci-Fi Skirmisher (starbreach.com)
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
Killed it on Instagram this year, and we’ve only been on there since late August (ig: @star_breach) ! Lots of love and support this year for the game, and that’s thanks to many of you! Have you tried Star Breach yet!? You’ve got new Christmas shineies! You’re on holiday! The government’s on holiday! It’s FREE! What are ya doin!? Try it already and find out what all the kids on Instagram already know that you don’t know, ya old forum fogey!  ;)

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
Re: STAR BREACH: The FREE Multiverse Sci-Fi Skirmisher (starbreach.com)
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »
Happy New Year! Star Breach 2019:
* First ever, flgs supported Star Breach Tournament: Chiang Mai, Thailand. Winter.
* Newly formatted, all inclusive, fully interactive PDF rulebook. Late-Winter.
* “Hunters” Star Breach’s FREE cooperative/solo play expansion. Spring/Early-Summer.
* New, professional art for hardback, collectors rulebook coming 2020. Year Long.

Get Hyped. starbreach.com

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: STAR BREACH: The FREE Multiverse Sci-Fi Skirmisher (2019 News Pg.7)
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »
Looking forward to the co/op and solo play. Looking to do alot of solo play in different games this year. Just easier I think.

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2019, 03:18:25 PM »
Looking forward to the co/op and solo play. Looking to do alot of solo play in different games this year. Just easier I think.

I hear that! Working on the materials now, actually. Any thoughts on what makes a solid solo-play experience, Darathar? Thoughts on co-op too much appreciated! Thanks for always checking in!

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2019, 11:11:18 PM »
Np  :D. I find that the less complicated the AI rules are for your adversaries the easier solo and cooperative games run. Save complexity for games where you only have to worry about what your running.

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2019, 01:15:48 AM »
I'm also looking forward to these new modules.

I've played Gloomhaven solo and I like its AI. Each troop type uses a small deck to randomize its current action. Bosses have more abstract actions that can be customized for the particular scenario they're in.

In terms of Star Breach, you could have various tables for the different types of units in each faction. When activating a unit, determine its action randomly, say by drawing a poker card and applying it to the unit's table. For simple units maybe only use the value of the suit, if it needs to be more complex you could also use the rank. Simple tables lead to streamlined play, complex tables, well, it might be hard to come up with complex but appropriate behavior, but the underlying mechanism for it would be there.

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2019, 02:49:30 AM »
Love all of those ideas @Darathar and @Kontuz! Thanks for the suggestions!

In the meantime, our new all-in-one, fully cross-referenced, full color, PDF rulebook for Star Breach is almost here! Will be available for FREE (as always) on our website Thursday, January 31st. Looking great!

Offline elthamare

• Schoolboy
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2019, 12:26:51 PM »
I hear that! Working on the materials now, actually. Any thoughts on what makes a solid solo-play experience, Darathar? Thoughts on co-op too much appreciated! Thanks for always checking in!
I still haven't tried out the rules, but for solo games I would take a look on Two Hour Wargames, they have a nice set of rules for solo games. I think good solo rules should have realistic movement (from cover to cover for example) and some randomness to keep the game interesting.

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2019, 04:24:38 PM »
NEW ALL-IN-ONE, FULLY CROSS-REFERENCED, FULL COLOR PDF 2.1 RULEBOOK LIVE NOW!

AND FREE AS ALWAYS AT STARBREACH.COM.

Just a few days ago now I was honored to host the world's first ever, official Star Breach tournament! It was an absolute blast here in Chiang Mai, Thailand! We had six players at three tables, and played for a total of three rounds (per the Star Breach tournament rules). The event was unbelievably smooth, and the rules held-up near perfectly under the pressure of nine games and six completely different warband builds. We were able to track the few superficial mechanics that needed a little tweaking, and I am happy to say those changes have been already made and integrated into the new PDF, which is available right now!

Here's some pics of our fantastic day! I hope Star Breach can bring you as much joy as it does me in this new year of gaming! And there's still just so much more fun to come!