Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Osprey's - Outremer : Faith and Blood - Anyone played and got some thoughts?  (Read 6276 times)

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
Like it says in the title, anyone had a game yet and got any first impressions?

Got mind the other day and I've had a read but not had chance to play yet.
Looks ok, simple mechanics with much of the book dedicated to character progression but there is nothing like a few games to reveal the truth about a ruleset.

Thanks

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
Hi John! I’m the author so I played a fair few games during playtesting; and there are a fair few of my playtesters on LAF as this is where I recruited them from! I’d be really keen to hear what your thoughts are on the game and your experiences...

Also I’ll be doing a look at the game and updates on the dedicated blog at:

http://outremerfaithandblood.blogspot.co.uk
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
My copy came yesterday and after a quick read through I am excited to play. I think its going to be a good strong game. Certainly already I see plenty of scope to convert it to just about anything.

So today I'm going to take a slow read though and hopefully get a game or two this weekend.

As JohnDSD2 said, the real test is how I feel about it after a few games of play.

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
I am one of the betatesters, and I played some games. However I can not say to much, because we grow so excited about the game during battletesting, that my opinion is spoiled a little bit. Thas why I am unable to write proper review for our blog either. But at least you can find interview with autor and also false interview with me, and my brother later on. As soon as we will have some photo of our own figures

At this moment I am finaly preparing myself a Nizari Ismaili syrians, opening WIP thread soon, as soon as I got proper fotos.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:33:43 PM by Dalcor »

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
It looks promising.   But I do have a question. I am probably blind, but I did not see in the "Warband Selection" section (starting on p. 25) the costs for recruiting the various warriors.  Given the amount recommended for a starting warband (750 Livres) I am thinking it is one Livre per experience point, but I cannot find where it explains the costs of recruiting warriors.  The cost of weapons and other kit is listed clearly.

-Michael

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
If you look in the starting profiles for each type its the first entry for each type. Under cost.

So for example on Pilgrim 1 (Crusaders - page 30) the cost is 46.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks, agent_pumpkin. 

-Michael

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
Cheers guys! And thanks to that noble gentleman for answering the query in my absence! Much appreciated!

So how’s everyone finding the game!?

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
We had our first "proper" game last night. Crusaders fighting Templar's in Europe (on the way to the Crusades!).

We really enjoyed it. It feels right and plays quicker than I expected. Having your noble shot with a crossbow is not a pleasant thing! he he.

We may muck about with some of the equipment costs and modifications, but not massively. Just a couple of house rules that suit us.

All in all a game that we are more than happy to return to. I may even get my desert terrain out of storage. ;)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
I held a copy in hands the other day, but got not round to play it yet. I look forward to do so soon.

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
I’m glad you enjoyed the game! I actively encourage you to work up some house rules that best suit your gaming group; I designed the game to be flexible and accommodating! I’d love to see a battle report or some photos.

It’s always worth checking the blog at:

[url][https://outremerfaithandblood.blogspot.com/?m=0/url]

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
Just got a copy and like what I see. Cant wait to give them a try on the tabletop.
Is there a QRF or Player aid available?

I've been reading the blog articles with interest and look forward to more.
It would be particularly useful to see some different examples and nuances of warband construction.

The forthcoming additional details for the specific military orders sounds great - it would also be excellent to expand that for the Northern Crusades as well, to cover the Teutonic/Germanic/Livonian campaigns against the Russ and Baltic Pagans

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Just received my book and made a quick read. I have a doubt, though: what it means the letter after the career path in the lists? i.e. Ranged Militia I (A) (B) . I have been annoyingly unable to find what the heck it stands for!

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
Those are the skill tables that character type can roll on - when you go to the skill table pages, they have that letter (X) in brackets after the name at the top.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Thanks! Sometimes I feel like a child who needs eveeything explained to him in easy, small words!
 lol