Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:01:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Foam Party! Or how to make your own Jamaican island  (Read 2270 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Foam Party! Or how to make your own Jamaican island
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
I've posted this here as on Workbench it got views but no comments at all... :o

Scribble

Cut

Cut

Pinch

Gouge

Pinch

Offcut goes here.

That piece also fits on this end, although I've lacked imagination if having both pieces for this end as peninsula, although there is another path up.

The Salute '18 layout takes shape, took just over two hours and three cups of tea.

Finished the plucking

Threw some paint at it, black undercoat, then grey from above to maintain shadows then a little earthy yellow. I may do a very light dusting of more grey.

There's one piece which still needs painting, but everything above took a day, with the most time being watching the paint dry. The painting is quite lengthy, I used spray cans so outside, thanks to the weather god, and a long wait for it to dry, don't bring it indoors too early unless you want your home to smell like a paint factory.

Undercoated the other piece and as that sits outside drying I'm painting the earthtone on the other pieces. I bought two 120ml tube of Daler/Rowney Graduate Burnt Sienna added about 20ml of white and 40ml of water, and this was only enough for two piece and one of the offcut/smaller pieces. They're cut out of approx 50x50 cm blocks, so I'd suggest 150ml of paint for each one at least, plus you made wany more for bases, buildings, trees, plants, etc.

Looks very orangey which suits me as I used pictures I've searched for as a reference. these are both Jamaica and look delightfully tropical to me.

The cliffs where influenced by the Negril Cliffs, also in Jamaica.

But I've taken the liberty of doing them more yellow, like the light you get shortly before sunset.

Day three and some of the paint is still drying, so start with a quick photo for scale with a Firelock Games longboat and a couple of Perry's miniatures.

Looking at more photos I decided I needed seaweed at the waterline of the cliffs, a quick pass of a green can and lo and behold...

Painted the remaining two pieces, also had to hack the path to be more accomodating to miniatures, so that need black, grey and yellow, and as I moved it while wet I made a thumbmark...

I have flock arriving on Monday, so these can just dry over the weekend.

Found a rather obvious way to speed up the drying, putting the pieces on small boxes so the underneath is exposed. The other five sides are all sealed with paint so this really improves airflow, and this will save you hours.

Bit patchy, which I don't mind in principle, but I will give it a slight touch up.

Next, flocking.

I've mixed two flocks for a colour which fits. So it's outside into the sun for this... first flock coat

and starting on the grass, added with a static dispenser, and yes it really does make the garss stand up, but with 2mm like I'm using that's hardy noticable... may put some longer patches here and there.

Night closed in and it was a rush to get all flocked. Did reasonably well, there's a few patches which I'll go back over but outside is snow today...  :roll:

You can see this, me, some other recalcitrants, the malarkey ship and the Paul Hicks mini on the Gamers in Thanet Society table on GF03 at Salute... don't be shy...

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Foam Party! Or how to make your own Jamaican island
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 04:23:22 PM »
Excellent work! I like your pinchy method for the cliffs. Nothing wrong with patchy undercoat I found as it creates subtle and realistic differences after a layer or two of static grass. I think you are right to go back and do some patches of longer static grass over the 2mm- that also adds to the realism.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 04:36:38 PM »
Negril! I’ve been there! Very touristy.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:54:00 PM »
Excellent work! I like your pinchy method for the cliffs. Nothing wrong with patchy undercoat I found as it creates subtle and realistic differences after a layer or two of static grass. I think you are right to go back and do some patches of longer static grass over the 2mm- that also adds to the realism.

I'd love to claim the technique as my own but I saw it over on Beasts of War, being the cash strapped floozies they are the tutorial video is behind a paywall, which is just silly and a little selfish.

Negril! I’ve been there! Very touristy.

So where's me postcard?  :-[

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 09:39:07 PM »
I was just thinking that I want to make some nice cliffs for the ocean table I'm making to go with my scratchbuild ships. Looks like I'll be getting myself some upholstery foam off the market after work tomorrow! :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 08:08:27 PM »
Whoo! Very cool. And so it begins!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »
Doesn't it just Cianty?  ::)

A few photo's of it in action at Salute 2018.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 12:49:26 PM »
Fantastic piece of work!

Is it upholstery foam or insulation foam? I guess the latter is more difficult to 'pluck' nicely?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:52:28 PM »
It's upholstery foam, the blue stuff is firmer than your usual foam. Insulation foam typically doesn't take paint with out sealing. Having done both this is by far the quickest.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »
Great stuff (ing) fella  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 10:22:32 PM »
Looks great and a nice tutorial too.  Thanks.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 10:43:12 PM »
It's upholstery foam, the blue stuff is firmer than your usual foam.

Probably something not available here in DK, then, just like the dense insulation foam often used by terrain-builders.

Thanks, though. I'll have to keep a watchful eye for stuff like that.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 12:27:42 AM »
Nice! Jamaicanymore?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 03:54:09 AM »
Nice! Jamaicanymore?
Lulzzzzzzzz... ::) lol

Your table looks great- I really like the water.