Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: RAF Bomber Command PBeM campaign  (Read 1429 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
RAF Bomber Command PBeM campaign
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:56:44 PM »
I have been working on a design for an umpired multi player campaign system based on the RAF Night Bombing raids and am looking for players to help test it out.
Although developed for games within a club I think it is also suited to be played as a "Play By eMail" style game.
If we can get enough players I would hope to get the game itself started at the beginning of June, roles allocated and initial deployments a bit before that. Expectation is on weekly turnaround for raids with all communications by email via the umpire.

If you would be interested in playing a Bomber Offensive PBeM game please drop me a PM with any preference you may have for RAF or Luftwaffe and role/level within the game. Also it would help me if you could comment on other WW2 Bomber games you play or have played.
Then please leave a note on this thread saying you would like to join in so everyone can gauge the level of interest (DO NOT PICK SIDES IN THIS THREAD.........ONLY BY PM). I will put a note on other fora eventually to see if there are enough interested players, but will say:  This is absolutely not going anywhere near Facebook.

My intention is to test the mechanics with a game set early in the Night Bombing Offensive (pre Butt Report) so 1940/41. Limited duration and probably not played to full conclusion unless things are progressing really well and I don't need to rework anything!

It is basically a hierarchy of games with one player as Command on each side, then other players at group and/or squadron level. Exactly how this is structured depends on the number of players, there will be more RAF "players" than Luftwaffe. This test will not cover all aspects of the campaign game but there should be enough to make it entertaining.

Command level game is based on RAF bomb tonnage on key targets reducing a resource pot while Luftwaffe defences add to the pot. Command level sets the target priorities (Oil, Transport, Shipping etc) and allocates force resources to groups. Also has to use these resource points to train pilots/crews and invest in technological advances.

Group level play is a "resource allocation" style game. With limited numbers of crews and aircraft available at any time and limits on how often each can be used. For the RAF, 'Group' will nominate the raid primary and secondary targets and allocate the squadrons to be used. For the Luftwaffe this (probably the lowest game level) will allocate nightfighter squadrons to patrol/intercept/intruder sorties.

Squadron level will be where the actual  bomber routes are planned if the squadron is chosen for the raid by group. If not given a specific role in the raid squadron commanders can allocate crews to "Gardening" sorties to gain experience. (Similar to some of the "pre game" aspects of Target for Tonight, Bomber Command or Luftwaffe for anyone familiar with those games).

The actual raid is not part of the PBeM game and will be resolved by CRT or played out by my FLGS  as a tabletop game. The results of raids will be fed back to Squadron as a debrief and reports from squadron then passed up the chain of command.

I know the subject of the Bomber Offensive is controversial with some people and on that account will not be making the "Area Bombing Directive" part of this test game. Targets will be clearly designated technical/industrial/military only.
This is something I am considering developing as a gaming product and I will not be making all the mechanics and data available to players a this stage. Thus I am not going down the road of Non Disclosure Forms but do ask a "gentleman's agreement" not to share or copy/redevelop my ideas.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:06:21 PM by robh »

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
Re: RAF Bomber Command PBeM campaign: Players Wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 01:11:01 PM »
I'd be interested, very interested

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »
I'd like to play.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »
Thanks for the interest, I have had a couple of other people contact me directly so interest is building.

Although not part of this test game these are some of my 1/600 Bomber models.

All Tumbling Dice models or conversions of same. Decals from the MiscMini 1/600 range and conversions from  i/94 enterprises 1/285 range.
Halifax I and III, Lancaster, Stirling and Manchester. The "named" planes are from historic photos and are correct for the squadron/ID (and nose art although you can't actually see it in the picture).
For anyone interested I have posted a lot of images of RAF bomber name/nose art/code combinations on the 1/600 Airwar Yahoo group.

These are based for "Target for Tonight"

Offline manchesterreg

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:33:29 PM »
Im interested in this as well.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:55:19 PM »
I would also be interested in this, as a native of Bomber County and all that. :)

Offline MadMö

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 10:35:58 PM »
Here!
I`m interested.
Germans if you please.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 11:27:39 PM »
Thanks.

If you have not seen it, the "Target for Today" USAAF movie from 1944 gives a good idea of the type of target selection process the game re-creates. Although it is about the 8th Airforce daylight bombing the RAF practice was very similar. Should give you some idea of the type of tasks players will be dealing with before the raid begins.

https://youtu.be/IAZjv5Z7fbw

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »
Sounds fascinating, I would like to join in

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 09:28:59 AM »
We have 10 confirmed players now so the game will be going ahead as proposed, but it is easy to add players with a PBeM format so if you are interested in taking part drop me a PM.

Based on previous PBeM games I have done I expect the ongoing time commitment for this test game to be no more than about 15 minutes per week, with one or two emails being sent/received.
The initial set up will be a bit longer but I propose allowing a couple of weeks at least to get that finished before the game starts.

Offline eddieazrael

• Student
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 09:18:55 PM »
Hi All,  I'd like to take part too - happy to take on any role spare!

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »
I would like to join.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »
Thanks Guys, I have commands lined up for you.

We now have 13 confirmed group and squadron players plus the CinCs for each side and I am beginning the process of allocating players to the historic roles for the game.
If anyone else fancies joining in I can still take new players through to the end of the month. After that it will not be possible to join in.
I expect this test play through to continue through June and July but stop at the summer so I can get feedback on how it works from the player side and make any possible changes.
Then later in the year set up a complete run through including all the aspects of the full game (with the post 1942 technology and tactics included).

Offline agentbalzac

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
Hi there,

I'd like to be involved.

Cheers,
Graham

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 04:07:00 PM »
Thanks Graham, you have a place in the ranks.
Please drop me a PM as per the first post in this thread.

*****EDIT 29/04*****
All places in the game are now filled.
Regrettably no further players possible.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:05:39 PM by robh »