Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: UVS Post War French Paratroopers in the Big City 14/04/2019  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
UVS Post War French Paratroopers in the Big City 14/04/2019
« on: April 16, 2018, 06:43:59 AM »
I bought these from Empress fairly soon after they came out, either at a show or by a process that was popular at the time called "mail order" (ask your parents.... ^__^). So this could be classified as a quick build for me.

Mainly Citadel paints except the camouflage brown which is Army Painter Oak Brown and the helmet which is Vallejo USA Olive Drab.

I have dug out an unfinished Warlord M24 which with the Rubicon French decals will provide some much needed support (there is a nice detailing entry on the Troop of Shrewd blog http://troopofshewe.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/tinkering-withwarlord-chaffee-for.html).

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:36:07 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: UVS Post War French Paratroopers 16/04/2018
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 06:50:46 AM »
Nicely done! 8) Can’t wait to see what you do with the M24!

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:03:20 PM »
Nice!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 07:24:54 PM »
Thanks.

Well this is the M24, an ancient Warlord resin that has been base painted a couple of times.

I have started adding lift rings, tow cables (ends from Rubicon) and soft stowage.

Still lots to do.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 01:10:53 PM »
Like the paratroopers very much.  :-*  Nice additions of greenstuff on that M24. Looking forward to seeing following this.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 01:43:42 PM »
Good looking figures.
I like you, purchased some of these same figures,
when they were Red Star.
My guys are still unpainted. lol
Semper Fi, Mac

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: UVS Post War French Paratroopers in the Big City 14/04/2019
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 06:47:20 PM »
Well, two days shy of the anniversary of this thread, I have added some more photographs.

Not of any new figures, and nothing much has happened to the M24, but of a building.

As you might have noticed there are a number of new ranges of figures for the later Vietnam period, especially 1968. At Salute I picked up two packs from Empress (and a pack of Viet Minh regulars).

I like to have a few buildings, and Sarissa has a range of North African/French Colonial buildings which I thought would also do for French Indochina, or Vietnam. It is not just me using these buildings out of area, Big Rich is using a larger version of the building for his Rubber Platation (https://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=7702).

French Paratroopers advance past a building.

French Paratroopers about to assault a building.

Until there are specific Vietnam buildings, these will do.

More photographs here: https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2019/04/at-salute-i-bought-number-of-mdf-and.html

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 07:56:27 PM »
Great stuff. The buildings work well. ;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 07:59:52 PM »
The buildings work just fine for generic simi-modern colonial era buildings.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 10:45:22 PM »
Hmm great minds think alike! Actually the Sarissa buildings with the addition of tile roofs will work well for Hue. Make your tile roof removable and double them up for Vietnam, Algeria or Aden. In fact those basic structures work most places tropical. Similar buildings exist in Brazil. Extra bonus, there’s a battle damaged version of each. So far I have been fiddling around with some of the newer Knights of Dice items and my old Italeri station buildings.

Now, if you want a really big city there’s always the mooted drop of Colonial paras on Paris during the General’s Putch of 1961. Great chance to utilise Gendarmerie manned Shermans against the putschist paras. :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 01:33:08 AM »
Would TTCombat's Streets of Venice buildings work for Vietnam? They do some pitched roofs as an add on to the normally flat roofed buildings, so that might bring them into line.

I think Carlos also posted that the Italeri Railway Station would work as well.
Cheers,
Poiter50

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 06:31:14 AM »
Would TTCombat's Streets of Venice buildings work for Vietnam? They do some pitched roofs as an add on to the normally flat roofed buildings, so that might bring them into line.
The problem with the TTCombat buildings is one of scale.

That is Streets of Venice 7 with Crooked Dice's William Killian on a base for scale.
As you can see, the doors are vast as their ranges are scaled for 32mm+ figures (great for Malifaux etc, which is why I have a number in various states of assembly).

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 06:36:59 AM »
Great stuff. The buildings work well. ;)
Thanks, now if someone was to suggest to them a range of buildings (and walls) suitable for Hue...

Bonus points if they use the new interlocking base plates they use on the recent Feudal Japanese village (shown at Salute).

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 07:14:36 AM »
@Carlos, Thanks.
I wonder if the Small House (N009) and Single Storey Small House (N021) with the chimney removed would work (I can just about assemble a laser cut MDF building square, adding an embossed plastic sheet to an existing roof is going to push my skills and building a pitched roof is not going to end well ^___^).

Not for 1961, but the Sarissa World War Europe range is on my list (especially N080)  for generic European town combat.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »
The problem with most European range buildings is the pitch angle of the roof, it’s too sharp. You could saw them back/off but it sought of defeats the purpose and flat roofs are easier to modify.

Actually, I think the larger buildings like C 103 and C 104 have more potential as former colonial civic buildings but I have the rather wonderful albeit misleadingly titled Italeri ‘Berlin House’ if I want to go down that route.

Making your own roofs or even whole structures isn’t that complex. Yes there’s a bit of fiddling about with angles but if you make yourself some triangular formers with plasticard or foam core making pitched roofs becomes a manageable task. The thin plastic tile sheets I prefer are easy to work with, they are like vac-form plastic and you can even cut them with scissors.

Hue, especially the modern part south of the Perfume River, seems to have been quite eclectic in style, with very modern buildings, colonial structures and fairly non-descript commercial boxes with various adornments. Even within the Citadel photos show commercial strips that, signage aside, could
conceivably found in much of the developing world and examples of which I’ve seen elsewhere in Vietnam.

A wall would be nice, in particular the towers, the actual wall itself would probably best be done with pink/blue foam and card or plastic brick sheets.

Anyway, back to converting a Dodge WC into a Vietnam era M-37. :)