Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a good academic text on gladiators and their equipment  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
A friend who is a classics teacher is looking for an authoratitive text on gladiators of Rome. Is anybody able to recommend anything?

(Apologies if this is woefully off-topic but it seemed like a good place to ask!)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Looking for a good academic text on gladiators and their equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
If he can read German, there is an experimental archaeologist called Marcus Junckelmann who wrote several books on Roman military equipment which I remember as quite good combining literal sources, depictions, archaeological finds and their actual testing. One at least was about gladiators.

I’m not sure if there’s a translation available, but the text should be relatively easy.

https://www.amazon.de/Das-Spiel-mit-dem-Tod/dp/3805325630/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1523868857&sr=1-10

PS: I just saw that the famous children book series WAS IST WAS also has a new volume in which Junkelmann is the Co-Author. Miht be worth checking if this is available to you. Anyway you can get if for less than a euro at Amazon...
https://www.amazon.de/Was-ist-was-Band-082/dp/3788604220/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1523868857&sr=1-1

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:40:14 AM »
Many years ago I read "Those About to Die" by Daniel Mannix. It covered from what I remember the whole gamut of Gladiator life and death and the Roman games. It's now available as a reprint "The Way of the Gladiator" and seems to get good reviews on Amazon. There's a kindle version too so no huge loss if its not detailed enough.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
I would go for Marcus Junckelmann books and there are some in English.
They are very good.
Try in amazon to check what books are available in english.

If you read french i have the following book i found very nice with lots of images from reenactors.
Editions Errance - Gladiateurs (des sources a léxperimentation) Eric Teyssier et Brice Lopez.

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 09:04:50 PM »
Useful suggestions, thank you! I'll send the titles/authors on to my friend.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 07:19:50 PM »
I would go for Marcus Junckelmann books and there are some in English.
They are very good.
Try in amazon to check what books are available in english.

If you read french i have the following book i found very nice with lots of images from reenactors.
Editions Errance - Gladiateurs (des sources a léxperimentation) Eric Teyssier et Brice Lopez.
I think there are also some videos made by Junkelmann. Maybe they are translated.

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/