Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:43:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "What a Tanker" my thoughts update 21/04/18  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
"What a Tanker" my thoughts update 21/04/18
« on: April 16, 2018, 09:45:47 AM »
Played two games yesterday and these are my initial thoughts. Let me first say that I am a Lardy fan so that may colour my view.
The rules themselves are presented in a nice glossy magazine type booklet with lots of illustrations to help explain the rules and colour photos to wet your appetite for the period.

Once the game is set up you throw a dice and the highest scoring gets to go first, because there was twelve of us we didn't do this we chucked twelve tokens in a bag and you went when your token was drawn.
When it's your turn you throw 6x d6 and depending what you roll that will tell you what you are able to do.

1 is for movement
2 is for acquiring a target (you must acquire before aiming)
3 is for aiming (you must aim before you can shoot)
4 is for, you guessed it shooting
5 is for reloading
6 is a wild dice that can be turned into any of the above.

There are other rules pertaining to the above sequence but I won't go into them here (buy the book lol)
In a nutshell that is the actual rules sequence and I think these are probably the easiest Lardy rules I've played.

Again because there was so many of us plus the fact that we were learning as we went along there was a fair bit of downtime between our activations. This won't be the case when I play next time and there's like four players, I imagine things will go a lot faster.

Also if you were unlucky enough to lose your tank early on in the game you are sat there twiddling your thumbs, there are other things you can do while waiting I for instance admired the lovely vehicles and scenery, read the rule book and became an instant lawyer, and then eventually gave some well needed advice on what to do to other players wether they wanted it or not lol.
Seriously though I don't see this as being much of an issue in smaller games.

I enjoyed playing the games it's a very social type of game and your character tends to show through in the way you handle your tank (bold, brash, cautious or in my case plain stupid lol)
If you want a game you can play two or three times in an evening and don't want to leave at the end of the night with a headache these rules will work for you.

The game itself is not an attempt at simulating to the last rivet a tank action but is a fast and flowing game that has you making decisions as you go and with a smile on your face.
There is a campaign system that allows you to progress from rookie to Ace and also allows you to get extra attributes that may or may not help you and your crew to survive, and it's perfectly possible to keep your crew intact and go through tanks like a hot knife through butter, so it's one of those games where you can have fun naming your crew and even your tank.
If any of the above appeals to you go get the rules you will not be disappointed.

I myself am looking forward to when Sergeant Ivor Smallpiece once again climbs into the turret of his (third?) Cromwell and yells at his gunner "Tank Action" lol.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:10:53 AM by Jeff965 »

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: "What a Tanker" my thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:17:57 AM »
Great write up Jeff,thanks :)
Ps.dont work for Big Rich do you ?  Because you've sold me on them ;) :D
Cheers
Keith

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »
No mate no Lardy affiliation, and both you and me know someone who will be itching to get a brace of Kingtigers on the board ASAP  ;) lol

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:49:37 AM »
No mate no Lardy affiliation, and both you and me know someone who will be itching to get a brace of Kingtigers on the board ASAP  ;) lol
Lol
That's true,and not just the two either  ;D

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 04:17:10 AM »
Got our two games in, and had a lot of fun.  Now I get those tanks (150+); which I built out on table, where it could be close to impossible to do in Chain of Command.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 06:21:14 AM »
Nice to read your thoughts on the game Jeff. I picked it up too and I liked the sound of it for similar reasons to you.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 10:10:11 AM »
Played a couple more games of this the other night and introduced two of my wargame pals who shall we say are not the biggest fans of the Lardy genre of games, and I think they enjoyed the games.
It took a little while to get the command dice concept straight in their minds but they were soon working out what they could and couldn't do each move.
I've put some photos of the game below and I also came across these rather handy ready made dash boards that some forward thinking people at dark ops games have put together.
One of the chaps playing has had a rather good idea regarding the look of the game, there clearly are no rules for infantry and so you tend to just have vehicles (and tracked ones at that) moving around the table on their own.
Without introducing rules for said infantry he said you could put infantry figures around each tank to denote wether the tank had acquired a target was aiming or was unloaded.
I'll give this some more thought as I like the idea and the only downside I can see to it is having to move the couple of figures with the tank model. It would however at a glance tell you at what stage your tank was at and also give the impression of infantry on the battlefield.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: "What a Tanker" my thoughts update 21/04/18
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
This is the ready made dashboard you can get form here https://www.darkops.co.uk/

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 10:40:03 AM »
A good succinct review of these rules , I hav,nt bought them as yet . I expect I,ll succumb when I see them at the club  as I have most of the other Lardie rules . 😎

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
I like that dashboard  :)
Mat looks good too :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:16:48 PM by Romark »