Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686641
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th  (Read 57224 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »
......The rules weren't that bad and IIRC, Rackham always wanted players, with increasing collections, to move on to Rag'Narok......

Indeed, the CAOR (Confrontation v4) rules are a good small unit skirmish game (The Drakerys game which was developed by some of the ex Rackham team afterwards is even better and closer in spirit to C3). Unfortunately both suffer from limited force options.

Confrontation was killed here by the trick Rackham pulled persuading game stores to invest heavily in the metal figure range weeks ahead of a major announcement "re-invigorating" the game. The announcement that turned out to be C3/Ragnarok/DoW is dead and the rules and figures are being replaced by v4 with plastic PPP figures and expecting the stores to stump up another stock order for the new stuff.
In protest the shops stopped organising and sponsoring the Red Dragon tournaments, refused to stock the plastic figure boxes and in one case eBay'd their entire stock of metals and walked away from the game entirely. There still exists a lot of ill will.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2018, 09:58:54 PM »
I play version 3.5... It is the version that is the most developed and has the kinks ironed out... Version 4 know as Age of Rag'Narok is an entirely different game almost. I've played a few sessions of that, but it's not very deep. It's easy to teach to a newbie though. 3.5 is the version most play. Great skirmish game... I do not recommend trying to adapt it to a large army game... Dragon Rampant is best for that in my opinion.

Hey gibby64,

I certainly wasn't trying to ridicule Confrontation, but as a long time fan with a huge collection (wolfen, orcs, goblins, devourer, griffins, dwarfs, sessairs, drunes) I had a lot of frustration with the arbitrary point values, the stupid system of hiding rules away on cards and the poor balance. In fact , the system completely collapsed if you played larger games than on tourneys.

Do I hate the game and mock anyone who plays it? No, sir!
Do I want it to be revived in the version 3.5? Certainly not! Co2 was better IMO, Co1 even better, because it was more streamlined, and CoEvo is certainly the way to go...and even here, I would say: simplify, simplify, simplify.

In contrast to Warhammer, the system seems very nice and original, but simply doesn't work in many cases. Try to fight Razheem, for instance, or the Great Crane with a goblin army...there are simply too many holes in the rules.

Nevertheless, I can still have a lot of fun with the game as long as I don't play against someone who knows and abuses all these holes!

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #257 on: May 19, 2018, 03:47:55 AM »
So Stellar got the Legends of Signum: Battle for Vallor KS shutdown? Is it possible that this cash grab was an attempt to partially or entirely cover legal expenses? Probably a silly question...

Quote from: Zeelobby  May 18 2018 on Confrontation – Classic The legendary skirmish game
Personally I see little difference between LoS claiming they aren't Cadwallon and SD claiming they aren't LB. Honestly both sides of this legal coin have been less than clear.

All this said, I think this is just fallout from SD and Cadwallon having less than friendly interactions after Stellar purchased the IP. Clearly SD is doing this to stunt and kill Cadwallon's KS. Personally I just think it's petty. They clearly waited until this KS was completed, whether that was to guarantee funding for a legal crusade or to avoid getting any more of a negative perception. I mean it's literally the next day. Lol.

If taken to court I'd find it hard to believe they could win. The best they could do is force Loss to remove some of the line from the KS.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:58:11 AM by Condottiere »

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2018, 04:54:12 AM »
They can certainly do that. Some BGG'ers speculated that's what Valley Games was doing with their Up Front funding.

I guess we could wait for SD to make a statement if they were or were not behind the C&D (but this would require rudimentary communication skills...).
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2018, 07:37:50 AM »
So Stellar got the Legends of Signum: Battle for Vallor KS shutdown? Is it possible that this cash grab was an attempt to partially or entirely cover legal expenses? Probably a silly question...

FFS; is there no end to this travesty?  ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2018, 08:02:17 AM »
Sure took long for the post-KS drama to start.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #261 on: May 19, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »
and here I was feeling empty after the Kickstarter ended with nothing to do but wait till next year... It's definitely Stellar/SD that hit them.

https://www.lumendatabase.org/notices/16525981#

I wonder if the KS even had any infringing stuff in it, as far I could tell it was all their original stuff. Similar style to Rackham sure, but you can't claim copyright on that.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2018, 01:11:30 PM »
Give it a few months and SD will be coming out with something like:

Dear Backers, we are sorry to break the bad news that, despite our best efforts, we are unable to produce the full  (non contractually obligated) selection of miniatures we intended, so none of the (non contractually obligated) stretch goal miniatures will now be included in the box and all sculpts will be 1 piece PVC not the (non contractually obligated)  mixed PVC/ABS as we had hoped.

We were obliged to spend money on legal fees and other expenses necessary to protect the world and characters we love from dirty counterfeiters and illegal attempts to profit from the Confrontation Intellectual Property which we pay Stellar Consulting huge licence fees to use. We are very grateful to all the new staff at Stellar Consulting for their professionalism and dedication and the consultancy services they are providing us at this time.

We still hope to produce some of the (non contractually obligated) figures and Joss is working closely with leading experts in the PVC casting companies to discover how to take this forward. Unfortunately time and cost constraints prevent us being able to show any samples of the figures, But trust us we will get through this, you will not be disappointed.

We will not let this setback stop us, I know we can count on your unwavering support for our next project 'Confrontation: Resurrection' coming to Kickstarter shortly.......

;)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2018, 01:59:43 PM »
Legends of signum was certainly similar to confrontation, But are SD gonna try and take cool mini or not to court for wrath of kings? I'd rather signum get the money they need , since that project is being run by competent people with an understanding of how to make miniatures.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #265 on: May 20, 2018, 12:48:03 AM »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #266 on: May 20, 2018, 02:46:16 AM »
I feel like back LoS just to spite SD.  lol

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #267 on: May 20, 2018, 06:42:00 AM »
I feel like back LoS just to spite SD.  lol

Me, too. This is downright silly.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #268 on: May 20, 2018, 08:19:24 AM »
*Beer and bratwurst grabs*
Leadhead

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #269 on: May 20, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »
Well, never really felt I could afford confrontation stuff, but hey, it seems that it is a game that provides a lot of entertainment even without any investment, or actual play time.

It just keeps giving to its supporting community and others.